Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 23, 2012
1:19:26 PM
View profile
iphone 4s upgrade - Data Subscription problem.

Hi,

I recently bought a iphone 4s on craigslist. I cut the sim myself and put it into the phone and everything works fine except for the data. It says that i'm not subscribed to a cellular data plan. I have been using the 200mb data plan for my sony ericsson xperia x10a before i made the upgrade. I tried everything. I turned off the phone, resetted the network settings and still nothing. My iphone is running 5.0.1 and has just been reset to factory settings. Please reply and help me get this resolved.Man Sad

Hi,

I recently bought a iphone 4s on craigslist. I cut the sim myself and put it into the phone and everything works fine except for the data. It says that i'm not subscribed to a cellular data plan. I have been using the 200mb data plan for my sony ericsson xperia x10a before i made the upgrade. I tried everything. I turned off the phone, resetted the network settings and still nothing. My iphone is running 5.0.1 and has just been reset to factory settings. Please reply and help me get this resolved.Man Sad

iphone 4s upgrade - Data Subscription problem.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 1:21:15 PM
(0)
Guru
You need to add a 4S data plan on that phone. That may be the problem.
You need to add a 4S data plan on that phone. That may be the problem.

Re: iphone 4s upgrade - Data Subscription problem.

2 of 6 (555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 2:24:50 PM
(0)
Former Employee

There are (or were) two different 200mb plans. The one you have is called "DataPlus 200MB for Smartphones". The iPhone plan is called "DataPlus 200MB for iPhone". Even though they cost the same and provide the same amount of data, they are different plans and as you now know, the smartphone plan does not work on an iPhone. You need the iPhone specific data plan. Even though the 200MB plans are no longer offered, you should be grandfathered in if you want to keep the 200 mb plan. Call CS and have them change your current plan to "DataPlus 200MB for iPhone". Of course, you can change to one of the new plans as well but you should be able to keep the 200MB plan.

There are (or were) two different 200mb plans. The one you have is called "DataPlus 200MB for Smartphones". The iPhone plan is called "DataPlus 200MB for iPhone". Even though they cost the same and provide the same amount of data, they are different plans and as you now know, the smartphone plan does not work on an iPhone. You need the iPhone specific data plan. Even though the 200MB plans are no longer offered, you should be grandfathered in if you want to keep the 200 mb plan. Call CS and have them change your current plan to "DataPlus 200MB for iPhone". Of course, you can change to one of the new plans as well but you should be able to keep the 200MB plan.

3 of 6 (540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 2:03:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I also have a 200mb data plan for my Blackberry, but I am looking to buy an iPhone from Craigslist and do not want to sign up for a two-year contract since my current contract began only a few months ago. You say that the 200mb plan can be grandfathered over to the iPhone data plan, but will I have to sign up for a new contract entirely?

I also have a 200mb data plan for my Blackberry, but I am looking to buy an iPhone from Craigslist and do not want to sign up for a two-year contract since my current contract began only a few months ago. You say that the 200mb plan can be grandfathered over to the iPhone data plan, but will I have to sign up for a new contract entirely?

4 of 6 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 3:46:51 PM
(0)
Guru
If you bring your own phone you don't need to sign a new contract.
If you bring your own phone you don't need to sign a new contract.

5 of 6 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 4:54:33 AM
(0)
Professor

When switching from one smartphone to another it's best to call CS so you get the data plan switched, especially when switching to an iPhone. You'll need to provide the IMEI of the iPhone, but the whole process should only take 10 - 15 minutes.

When switching from one smartphone to another it's best to call CS so you get the data plan switched, especially when switching to an iPhone. You'll need to provide the IMEI of the iPhone, but the whole process should only take 10 - 15 minutes.

6 of 6 (449 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments