iphone 4 becomes hot while charging

Contributor

iphone 4 becomes hot while charging

Hi,

I am using iphone 4 from 11 months now and I observed that now a days whenever I charge the phone, it becomes very hot.

I dropped the phone 1-2 times but on the floor with carpet .

I am not sure to whom should I contact for this ATT or Apple ?

Please help.

Thank You in advance.

Message 1 of 8 (10,185 Views)
Scholar

Re: iphone 4 becomes hot while charging

Due to how close you are to your warranty running out, I would definitely say to call Apple. This is not to say that AT&T might not be able to assist with finding out the cause to the issue, but with the fact that this could easily be a hardware issue, I wouldn't personally take the chance. Even better, if you could make an appointment in an Apple Retail Store so that a Genius could see this issue, that would be further recommended.

With that having been said, have you gotten a new case lately that could be causing the issue? Also, I know for a fact that if I run certain apps while charging my iPhone that it will heat up pretty fast, so if you are running any apps while it is charging that could also be the cause of the issue.

Message 2 of 8 (10,181 Views)
Professor

I think you'll need to talk to Apple. AT&T would just tell you that Apple handles warranty repairs.
Message 3 of 8 (10,167 Views)
Master

A reboot of the iPhone may clear something but a trip to the Genius bar is in order to have them check things out.

To reboot your iPhone, hold the home key and on/off switch for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 8 (10,156 Views)
Mentor

All iPhones get warm while charging, not uncommon if you are using it on 3G at the same time.
Message 5 of 8 (10,128 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Dropping it on the floor will not make the iPhone suddenly go hot on recharges. I've dropped my iPhone 4 a few times but never got hot due to the dropping but it has become hot during active usage and charging.

It's common that the iPhone becomes hot when using a USB/AC charger or an inductive charger (powermat or battery pack case) on your iPhone, adding on to the many function usages at current.

• Charge while chatting on the phone
  • Charge while playing games
  • Charge while surfing the internet
  • Charge while navigating
  • Charge in a car during the summer with 100F weather
  • Charge while receiving email
  • Charge while playing music or watching a movie
Message 6 of 8 (10,098 Views)
ACE - Professor

* charging in the summer when it's already 95 degrees - ugh
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (10,084 Views)
Mentor

Be sure to check this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2101

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (4th generation): Keeping device within acceptable operating temperatures

Message 8 of 8 (10,080 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.