iphone 4 DATA PLAN

Contributor

iphone 4 DATA PLAN

IS THERE ANY FURTURE TO BRING THE ULIMITED DATA PLAN BACK 

Message 1 of 20 (1,580 Views)
Mentor

Re: iphone 4 DATA PLAN

[ Edited ]

You're comparing putting the man on the moon with whether AT&T is being honest with their 2% number?

{Please keep it courteous}

Message 16 of 20 (1,158 Views)
Scholar

TaxDawg wrote:
How do we know the 2% of people slow the network down? How exactly does someone using 3gb "slow down" the network? If AT&T actually wanted to stop heavy, heavy users, why not make the cap 10gb? Or something ACTUALLY really high?

The idea that using 2gb-5gb a month is "slowing down" the network is absolutely laughable

AT&T put 2gb as the limit b/c at the time it was a limit that few reached. Now? More and more and more are reaching it with new apps, new video apps, etc....

2gb is routinely broken by me and most everyone I know and that includes many grandmas and other who are not tech pros. Go online to any tech forum and the majority go over 2gb

I don't believe for one second that only 2% use just 2gb. Not for a second.

They had to set a limit somewhere. If you don't like their limit, vote with your feet. What is up with all of this "this company should run itself to suit my desires" garbage?

I've never gotten even close to 2GB, in over three years, and I am a heavy email, etc. user.

Folks who DO get close to or exceed that amount almost certainly have to be doing things like streaming video, which is a heavy bandwidth hog. Get several of you streaming video and it takes me longer to download my email, even though I'm paying for the same level of service, and therefore have the same basis for expecting that my service works as it should, as you do.

When your activities start affecting other people's ability to use a shared service, then you should be expected to pay more or have your activities controlled in such a way as to prevent you from negatively affecting other customers.

Message 17 of 20 (1,148 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

TaxDawg wrote:
You're comparing putting the man on the moon with whether AT&T is being honest with their 2% number?

{Please keep it courteous}

Your entire argument reduces itself to "I want the limit set in such a way that it doesn't negatively affect me." You seem to have no consideration for how your activities affect others.

And IMO, that's more sense of entitlement whining. If you don't like the service or the terms imposed by the supplier, seek joy elsewhere. I'm sure that Verizon or Sprint would be happy to have you.

Message 18 of 20 (1,145 Views)

Pretty common on the boards.  On the one hand you have people who utilize a lot of streaming who think that charging more for data after 2GB is just way too limiting, and can't understand how anyone uses less than that.  On the other hand you have people who don't utilize much streaming who cannot understand how anyone gets anywhere close to 2GB in a month.

Message 19 of 20 (1,137 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

archermoo wrote:

Pretty common on the boards.  On the one hand you have people who utilize a lot of streaming who think that charging more for data after 2GB is just way too limiting, and can't understand how anyone uses less than that.  On the other hand you have people who don't utilize much streaming who cannot understand how anyone gets anywhere close to 2GB in a month.

I fully understand how they get there. I just don't think that they should expect to be given a pass when their activities cause problems for other users.

For example, we have FiOS at our house, and it's amazing. But down the street, we have teenagers who just love downloading music and such via BitTorrent over their parent's FiOS. I can immediately tell when they are doing it, because my network response slows down quite a bit.

Imposing a data limit per month (which thus far Verizon hasn't done) serves as an incentive not to do those things, and makes the level of service for the vast majority of us who aren't doing those things better. Alternatively, the ISP can throttle heavy users, and I'm fine with that too.

We simply don't have the network bandwidth to deal with everybody going hog wild. As long as we don't, concessions will have to be made in order to satisfy the greatest number of customers, because we're all paying the same rates.

Message 20 of 20 (1,127 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.