iphone 4 DATA PLAN

Contributor

iphone 4 DATA PLAN

IS THERE ANY FURTURE TO BRING THE ULIMITED DATA PLAN BACK 

Message 1 of 20 (1,583 Views)

Re: iphone 4 DATA PLAN

As far as i know, They are not going to bring back the unlimited data plan due to too much bandwith usage and all the data traffic and causing some data outage on the area. There are a lot of ways to connect to the internet. ATT hotspot. Wifi Maills and Restaurants. and incase you really need to access the internet your Data plan Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 20 (1,577 Views)
Contributor

THANK IVE JUST NOTICE THAT ALL THE OTHER NETWORKS R GOIN TO UNLIMITED NOW ON THE IPHONES SO I THROUGH I WOULD ASK AND SOME PPL WHO GOT LOOK AND GOT TO KEEP THERE UNLIMITED PLAN BUT I DONT KNOW MAYBE IT WILL COME BACK IT JUST 2GB GOES QUICK FOR ME 

Message 3 of 20 (1,575 Views)

They offer the unlimited but i dont think they offer the same speed as att does. Some are able to kept their data unlimited if they didnt change before it was grandfathered.
Message 4 of 20 (1,565 Views)
Scholar

okiecowboy15 wrote:

THANK IVE JUST NOTICE THAT ALL THE OTHER NETWORKS R GOIN TO UNLIMITED NOW ON THE IPHONES SO I THROUGH I WOULD ASK AND SOME PPL WHO GOT LOOK AND GOT TO KEEP THERE UNLIMITED PLAN BUT I DONT KNOW MAYBE IT WILL COME BACK IT JUST 2GB GOES QUICK FOR ME 

Verizon no longer offers unlimited data plans for new customers. Like AT&T, folks who already have them get to keep them as long as they don't change data plans.  Once they change, they can't ever go back to unlimited.

Sprint is the only US iPhone carrier currently offering unlimited data, and once it feels the real effects of iPhones hitting its networks, it is likely to stop offering unlimited as well.

Heck, AT&T and Verizon even throttle their most active data unlimited data users now. Realistically it isn't likely to ever come back. They want us using less data, not more.

Message 5 of 20 (1,552 Views)

That is correct due to too much traffic. They prefer to have internet rather than not having one. Smiley Happy ok?
Message 6 of 20 (1,547 Views)
Mentor

Maybe years down the line but not at the moment

AT&T wants to get as much fees as possible and 2gb is getting to be nothing for many of todays users...so people will be forced to start their packages earlier (thus being penalized) or buy bigger packages costing more money

The idea that 2gb is a fair line is laughable and I doubt AT&T will raise it in the near future.

Message 7 of 20 (1,477 Views)

Unlimited is never coming back, if the carriers can help it. Even fixed Internet services like Comcast have started implementing caps (250GB). And AT&T allegedly has the data that says that 98% of their smartphone customers never go over 2GB. I know I haven't, although the only time I use the cellular data is when I'm away from home/work.

Message 8 of 20 (1,470 Views)

That's such a counter productive argument, I think. "98% don't use over 2GB", then how about you leave the 2% of us that do alone?
Message 9 of 20 (1,451 Views)
Scholar

preludeoflight wrote:
That's such a counter productive argument, I think. "98% don't use over 2GB", then how about you leave the 2% of us that do alone?

The 2% of you that do tend to go way over it, and that rate of consumption slows down network response for everybody else.

Message 10 of 20 (1,449 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

How do we know the 2% of people slow the network down? How exactly does someone using 3gb "slow down" the network? If AT&T actually wanted to stop heavy, heavy users, why not make the cap 10gb? Or something ACTUALLY really high?

The idea that using 2gb-5gb a month is "slowing down" the network is absolutely laughable

AT&T put 2gb as the limit b/c at the time it was a limit that few reached. Now? More and more and more are reaching it with new apps, new video apps, etc....

2gb is routinely broken by me and most everyone I know and that includes many grandmas and other who are not tech pros. Go online to any tech forum and the majority go over 2gb

I don't believe for one second that only 2% use just 2gb. Not for a second.
Message 11 of 20 (1,197 Views)

Why is it counterproductive? Even if it is, that doesn't mean it's untrue. I'd wager most of the people complaining about this are too young to remember the days before "all you can eat" unlimited plans. I remember when AOL sold plans based on an allocation of hours, and what a disaster it was when they launched unlimited plans. It took weeks before you could maintain an adequate connection to AOL after that, if you could connect at all.

As another poster has mentioned, your plan is effectively unlimited. You just have to pay for as much data as you consume, which is the fairest possible resolution for all. Perhaps AT&T will begin offering tiers that include discounted pricing for usage > 2GB, but the unlimited plans are gone and are not coming back.

preludeoflight wrote:

Message 12 of 20 (1,193 Views)
Master

Sorry to say, but the Unlimited Data plan is not going to return. Chances are, people with the grandfathered Unlimited plan might even be forced to give it up over time. AT&T has ended Unlimited Data, and there is little to no chance of ever seeing it come back.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 13 of 20 (1,188 Views)
Mentor

"You just have to pay for as much data as you consume, which is the fairest possible resolution for all."

Except when the amount given as a "cap" is 2gb...there is little if any interest in AT&T being "fair". Fair and honest would be AT&T actually putting in a "cap" that only the extreme users would hit. We have grandmas watching multiple Netflix HD movies suddenly being called "heavy users" for crying out loud.

Somehow we went from people downloading 24/7 being the "abusers" to people watching 1-2 films suddenly being pegged as such.

The change would be hilarious if it weren't so idiotic
Message 14 of 20 (1,186 Views)

You don't have to believe it...just like you don't have to believe that we put a man on the moon.

AT&T has greater than 90 million customers, and in all likelihood even the vast majority of smartphone users don't consume that much data given faster wifi at their homes, offices & Starbucks. I, for one, have never used more than 2GB in a month, and i'm a fairly heavy user. 

In a sense, heavy users are congesting the network. You may see deviations in throughput when the networks are least congested (middle of the night, during parts of the workday), but for the most part your data download speed follows a pretty predictable range. To use more data, you have to use your connection more often, i.e. for longer periods of time. So people who are constantly surfing/downloading/streaming/Facebooking/FourSquaring/Spotifying/etc are congesting individual towers & the network as a whole.

TaxDawg wrote:
How do we know the 2% of people slow the network down? How exactly does someone using 3gb "slow down" the network? If AT&T actually wanted to stop heavy, heavy users, why not make the cap 10gb? Or something ACTUALLY really high?

The idea that using 2gb-5gb a month is "slowing down" the network is absolutely laughable

AT&T put 2gb as the limit b/c at the time it was a limit that few reached. Now? More and more and more are reaching it with new apps, new video apps, etc....

2gb is routinely broken by me and most everyone I know and that includes many grandmas and other who are not tech pros. Go online to any tech forum and the majority go over 2gb

I don't believe for one second that only 2% use just 2gb. Not for a second.

Message 15 of 20 (1,182 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.