iphone 3gs to iphone 4s - questions

Contributor

iphone 3gs to iphone 4s - questions

I have a few questions that I am not to too sure about.  I currently have a family plan with 2 iphone 3gs and unlimited data. Our 2 year contract is up and both phones are eligible for an upgrade. However, I only want to upgrade one phone to the iphone 4s and still keep the unlimited data plan for both. Is this possible with renewing the contract and only one upgrade? Will this change the price of the montly bill?  Will this affect the other phone from being able to upgraded at a later time?  thanks.

Message 1 of 8
Master

Re: iphone 3gs to iphone 4s - questions

Vinnytat wrote:

I have a few questions that I am not to too sure about.  I currently have a family plan with 2 iphone 3gs and unlimited data. Our 2 year contract is up and both phones are eligible for an upgrade. However, I only want to upgrade one phone to the iphone 4s and still keep the unlimited data plan for both. Is this possible with renewing the contract and only one upgrade? Will this change the price of the montly bill?  Will this affect the other phone from being able to upgraded at a later time?  thanks.

You will not loose your unlimited data during the upgrade and yes you can only upgrade 1 line.  The other line will remain eligible for an upgrade in the future.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 8
Mentor

Each line has its own separate contract so both of your lines are contract-free right now. If you upgrade one line then that line will get a new 2yr contract and your other line will still remain contract-free which you can upgrade later on

Dont make any plan changes when you upgrade and your monthly price will stay the same, but there is a one-time $18 upgrade fee

Message 3 of 8
Contributor

Dec 26, 2010 I joined a family plan with my brother, he purchased the iphone 4 and passed his iphone 3g to me that he had purchased back in Jan 2009.  He fulfilled his contract and was eligible for upgrade.  I was told I was not under contrart and could leave at anytime.  My question is: why am I not able to upgrade to the iphone 4s?  I am told that I can currently  upgrade to ANY model of phone EXCEPT the iphone, which I can upgrade to in Aug 2011.  Why?  I dont understand this.

Message 4 of 8
Mentor

ellisor wrote:

Dec 26, 2010 I joined a family plan with my brother, he purchased the iphone 4 and passed his iphone 3g to me that he had purchased back in Jan 2009.  He fulfilled his contract and was eligible for upgrade.  I was told I was not under contrart and could leave at anytime.  My question is: why am I not able to upgrade to the iphone 4s?  I am told that I can currently  upgrade to ANY model of phone EXCEPT the iphone, which I can upgrade to in Aug 2011.  Why?  I dont understand this.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI and click on "check eligibility" for pricing info

Also login to MyATT online account then go to PROFILE -> USER INFO and it'll show your contract end date or it'll say no contract

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Thanks, I did as you suggested, it states "your contract has ended".  So why will ATT not allow me to upgrade to new iphone.  The sales rep and supervisor claim any upgrade allowed EXCEPT to an iphone.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

at the discounted rate I mean.  price shows $449

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Mentor

Ouch then I'm not sure -- what does the contract say for the other line? So if you login to MyATT and then click on upgrade phone, it shows all the other phones with normal discounts except the iPhone is priced $250 higher?

Normally when you're on a family plan and/or have a monthly discount from work/school then AT&T will only allow early upgrades for the main line and not the family lines since AT&T isnt making enough money from family lines -- since you're out of contract I dont know why that would apply or why they want a $250 early upgrade fee

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support