ios5 and iphone4

Contributor

ios5 and iphone4

Updated to ios5 on my iphone 4.....  NOW NO MICROCELL CONNECTION.....I have reset microcell took off number from devices, put number back in...Turned off phone phone back on....Every other phone works just not my iphone...So i assume its becasue of ios5 update....HELP!!!

Message 1 of 44 (4,931 Views)
Contributor

Re: ios5 and iphone4

I'm experiencing the same issue, after upgrading my two iPhone 4s to iOS 5. Neither iPhone 4 displayed any issues for over a year with iOS 4.x connecting the 3G Microcell. Each iPhone behaves the same, dropping the connection to the 3G Microcell randomly during the day. The iPhones then display "searching" . You can not make or receive any calls in this state. Turning off the iPhones and back on or turning on Airplane mode and turning off, corrects the issue. My Motorola Android device has not experienced any issues. 

I opened a support issue with AT&T Support, no problems found with the 3G Microcell. A Google Search of the issue I found others reporting the same problem after upgrading to iOS 5. There is an obivous compatibilty issue created by the iOS 5 upgrade. Hopefully AT&T, Cisco and Apple can figure it out and supply and update.

Message 16 of 44 (2,535 Views)

After I reset my MicroCell as posted in another thread, I too started getting "Searching..." a few times per day.
Message 17 of 44 (2,533 Views)
Contributor

We have 2 Iphone 4's . I updated 1 of the 2 phones to IOS 5

Since then the IOS 5 iphone 4 shows searching while being at home trying to connect to MCell.

If I reboot the device or turn Airplane mode on then back off then it connects no issues

Quite fustrating but nonetheless is only related to IOS 5 iphones

Last night  I removed the Mcell from my ATT account and readded it. Seems to almost made no effect. I have reboot the phone, removed the SIM card and reseat it. I am almost 100% postive this is a IOS 5 BUG. Please let me know if some one finds a permanent solution. Appears the workaround is to turn airplane mode on and then off to get the device to connect the MCell

Message 18 of 44 (2,421 Views)

Placing an outgoing call will kick it out of "Searching..." mode. However, incoming calls just go to voicemail.

Message 19 of 44 (2,420 Views)
Contributor

Me too.  A year without any problems for my iPhone 4 but now I have upgraded to iOs 5, it drops calls all the time.

Flicking airplane mode on and then off for a short period resets and connects it, but it soon drops again.

My wife's brand new iPhone 4 also does the same thing.

Obviously a problem here.

I'm a newbie to this.  Does AT&T have a technical moderator reply or comment to these posts?

Message 20 of 44 (2,405 Views)
Tutor

Similiar problems here.. I upgradeed my 3GS last week and since then calls over the micro cell are not working well. The phone connects to the micro cell but it takes about 30-45 seconds before a call actually goes through. Once I'm connected, although I can here the person I'm calling fine they can either not hear me at all or the voice signal is completely garbled and broken. I have reset the micro cell several times and that does not help. My GF who is on a Iphone 4 who has not upgradeed to 5.0 is still able to make calls through the micro cell without issue and i so was I prior. Thus the problem is definetly ios 5.0. I love my iphone but after a year a year with AT&T I'm ready to through it out and switch. Even with the micro cell in the house I can only use my phone down stairs where the micro cell is. there is still no signal for att or the micro cell upstairs and if i'm on a call downstairs and walk up stairs i loose it. It's just misserable. I think I'm going to try and switch back to sprint who was my carrier for 12 years before the iphone... this just sucks.. i cant do business with a phone that doesnt work in my home and i dont know AT&T can do business with this terrible reception everywhere..

Message 21 of 44 (2,429 Views)
Teacher

I haven't been able to connect to my microcell for about a week.  however, when I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 today, it connected just fine...don't exactly know what happened...

Message 22 of 44 (2,422 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I am having the same problem.  "Searching" shows up on both of our iPhone 4 phones randomly.  My battery life is killed because of this.  I've updated to iOS 5.0.1 and still have the issue.  I called AT&T and they said there is an open ticket on iOS 5 and Microcell issues.  They attached my ticket to it.  No ETA.

Message 23 of 44 (2,410 Views)
Contributor

I'm having the same issue too, in the last few days, my iPhones one 4 and one 4s have both been unable to connect to the MicroCell, i've tried resetting the microcell and restarting the phone, nothing works. 

Interestingly, I used the iPhone 4 with a iOS 5 beta and the final release candidate build and it was working then, so something must have changed on the AT&T side. And when I first got my 4s it worked, then stopped.

Message 24 of 44 (2,399 Views)
Tutor

I think I may have found a solution to the problem.  On your iPhone, go under Location Services -> System Services ->  and turn off Cell Network Search.  This has allowed us no "searcing' for over 8 hours.  I'm curious if this works for anyone else.

Message 25 of 44 (2,378 Views)
Tutor

I meant to say "searching" above. Well, I woke up to my iPhone "searching" again. I knew that fix would have been too easy. It did seem to stop how frequently it was happening. Still wondering if it helps anyone else.
Message 26 of 44 (2,354 Views)
Contributor

I am having a similar problem connecting to the microcell with my iPhone 4 and IOS 5.0.1.  I found that putting the phone in airplane mode for 15-30 seconds and turning it back on allows it to connect.  That isn't a great use model since you have to manually connect, but it does allow me to connect manually.

Message 27 of 44 (2,263 Views)
Contributor

I'm seeing the same behavior after upgrading both my iphone4 and my wife's iphone4 to IOS5.0.  My microcell was under warranty so I asked for a RMA.   Even after activating the new microcell, I'm still seeing the random "searching" on both phones throughout the day.  

Message 28 of 44 (2,232 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I've also had issues with my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1. Here's a description of what I'm seeing:

1. Phone is not connected to the M-Cell, which is ~2 feet away.
  2. In Settings, I switch to Airplane Mode for 10-15 seconds, and then back to normal mode.
  3. The M-Cell connects, full bars.
  4. In roughly 10-15 minutes, with not touching the phone at all, the phone loses the M-Cell signal, and enters into "Searching..." mode.
  5. The phone never picks up the M-Cell signal until I start over with Step 1.

Edit: I've tried cycling the M-Cell, but still same results. Another user in the household has a new iPhone 4S, and it has no issues with maintaining a connection to the M-Cell.

Message 29 of 44 (2,203 Views)
Contributor

Same issue, same symptoms, same fixes, same futility.  Apple boards have reports from a year back for iOS4, but I've only noticed this with iOS5.  Thanks for the tip about switching to airplane mode, as it's a lot quicker than power cycling.

When I look at network logs (in airport utility->advanced), I can see that the ISP is doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work with the modem, and my guess is that the logs will show something interesting coinciding with a signal drop.  But I have to figure out exactly when the signal drops, and that's not easy.

If Apple/ATT can strike up a relationship sufficient to adapt the network to the iPhone's needs, it should be able to help Microcell and airport get along.

Sorry:  nothing new to add.  Just hoping this gets resolved.

Message 30 of 44 (2,067 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.