Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2011
7:29:29 PM
View profile
international visitor needs prepaid microSim for (unlocked) iPhone4
I am coming to the US for a couple weeks and need a prepaid microSim for my (unlocked) iPhone4 I would prefer a card that will give me data and voice for a 2 weeks to a month. What can I buy (from a local AT&T store when I arrive) ?
I am coming to the US for a couple weeks and need a prepaid microSim for my (unlocked) iPhone4 I would prefer a card that will give me data and voice for a 2 weeks to a month. What can I buy (from a local AT&T store when I arrive) ?

international visitor needs prepaid microSim for (unlocked) iPhone4

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 9:10:16 PM
(0)
Master
The iphone is not supported on a prepaid plan. You can sign up for a post paid plan with NO contract since you have an unlocked iPhone. Unfortunately you may need to put down a deposit?

I hear the T-Mobile will allow you to get a prepaid sim and they have the micro-SIM. Keep in mind that they do not support the same frequencies for 3G speeds so the best you will get is Edge.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
The iphone is not supported on a prepaid plan. You can sign up for a post paid plan with NO contract since you have an unlocked iPhone. Unfortunately you may need to put down a deposit?

I hear the T-Mobile will allow you to get a prepaid sim and they have the micro-SIM. Keep in mind that they do not support the same frequencies for 3G speeds so the best you will get is Edge.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: international visitor needs prepaid microSim for (unlocked) iPhone4

2 of 7 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 10:17:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Prepaid MicroSIMs do not even exist, nor will they ever, most likely. The only GoPhone iPhone 4 users had to trim down their original SIM to fit the scale of the iPhone 4's smaller slot.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Prepaid MicroSIMs do not even exist, nor will they ever, most likely. The only GoPhone iPhone 4 users had to trim down their original SIM to fit the scale of the iPhone 4's smaller slot.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 12:09:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

so there are also not prepaid microsims for ipad either I presume?

Am I correct in saying that there are 2 options:

1.  cut down a goPhone sim (but that gives only voice and text right)

2.  go with t-mobile for slower service

then for option 1, I have read there may be a way of adding data service later after it is working?

then for option 1, I have read there may be a way of adding data service later after it is working?

4 of 7 (962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 3:37:38 AM
(0)
Expert

adingfelder wrote:

the iphone is not eligible for a gophone activation, you can get it to work by cutting don the sim, but there will be no data availabe for it, nor will att give you any support if you have problems

adingfelder wrote:

the iphone is not eligible for a gophone activation, you can get it to work by cutting don the sim, but there will be no data availabe for it, nor will att give you any support if you have problems

5 of 7 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 6:40:07 AM
(0)
Master
There are recent posts by some who had data working on an iPhone go-phone (unsupported) but it is not longer working for them? It may be that ATT and Verizon are cracking down on un-authorized forms of use.

There are recent posts by some who had data working on an iPhone go-phone (unsupported) but it is not longer working for them? It may be that ATT and Verizon are cracking down on un-authorized forms of use.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 7 (947 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:38:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

adingfelder wrote:

Nope, not that I know of. If there are none available for the iPhone, I'm sure the iPad is excluded as well.

Your options are correct. You will only have voice and messaging services right after your iPhone is activated. There is a way to get data to work on it I believe, but it's a long and difficult process. I would just use Wi-Fi instead when a network is available.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

adingfelder wrote:

Nope, not that I know of. If there are none available for the iPhone, I'm sure the iPad is excluded as well.

Your options are correct. You will only have voice and messaging services right after your iPhone is activated. There is a way to get data to work on it I believe, but it's a long and difficult process. I would just use Wi-Fi instead when a network is available.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (940 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments