Posted Dec 14, 2011
1:08:26 PM
View profile
international plans

If a person in England calls or texts a person in WA and both people have att, is there a charge

If a person in England calls or texts a person in WA and both people have att, is there a charge

international plans

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 1:37:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Yes. One would be charged for making a voice call to the U.S., and the other in the U.S. would be using minutes. It is the same in reverse, when the person in the U.S. calls the person overseas, regardless who the carrier is, they will be using minutes, and if it is a overseas number, they will be charged extra.

Text message is just whatever the carrier charges for use of the feature. If the person overseas has a overseas telephone number, they could be charged for sending a text message to a U.S.. You really need to review your plan, same for the person roaming overseas.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
Yes. One would be charged for making a voice call to the U.S., and the other in the U.S. would be using minutes. It is the same in reverse, when the person in the U.S. calls the person overseas, regardless who the carrier is, they will be using minutes, and if it is a overseas number, they will be charged extra.

Text message is just whatever the carrier charges for use of the feature. If the person overseas has a overseas telephone number, they could be charged for sending a text message to a U.S.. You really need to review your plan, same for the person roaming overseas.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: international plans

2 of 7 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 6:50:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I thought that ATT to ATT was no charge

3 of 7 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 7:27:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Both people are American with a US plan. The person in England is there on travel and has a business phone.

Both people are American with a US plan. The person in England is there on travel and has a business phone.

4 of 7 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 5:55:21 AM
(0)
Master

The person who is overseas will pay roaming costs.  The person who remains in the USA will not have any extra costs.

The person who is overseas will pay roaming costs.  The person who remains in the USA will not have any extra costs.

5 of 7 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 8:21:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

juliabdarby wrote:

That is only for domestic use.   AT&T has to pay the foreign carrier to allow the use of roaming on their network.  They aren't going to give you that service for free.  The savings would be ridiculous, if you could make international roaming calls for free to other AT&T customers!

juliabdarby wrote:

That is only for domestic use.   AT&T has to pay the foreign carrier to allow the use of roaming on their network.  They aren't going to give you that service for free.  The savings would be ridiculous, if you could make international roaming calls for free to other AT&T customers!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 12:38:47 PM
(0)
Guru

The UK has some of the best prepaid phone offers on the globe.  If your friend is not using an iPhone, get the unlock code for the phone from ATT and get a local prepaid SIM for your visits over there.  Some of the plans out there have silly cheap rates to the US.  For example, Three has a deal with Skype and all of your non-UK calls can go out via Skype.  I bought an a month's worth of unlimited talk time to the US for $2.99 with Skype, got a Three SIM for 1 pound, and made more calls to the US than I was in the US.  (You need a phone compatible with Three's implementation of Skype for this to work).  You can also pay Skype a few dollars to spoof your US phone number in the caller-id and using a very simple computer trick, can have a US phone number give you free incoming on your Three phone.  

If you are not into this, look at Lebarra http://www.lebara.co.uk/.  You can call the US for 5p a minute and the SIM card is free. 

The UK has some of the best prepaid phone offers on the globe.  If your friend is not using an iPhone, get the unlock code for the phone from ATT and get a local prepaid SIM for your visits over there.  Some of the plans out there have silly cheap rates to the US.  For example, Three has a deal with Skype and all of your non-UK calls can go out via Skype.  I bought an a month's worth of unlimited talk time to the US for $2.99 with Skype, got a Three SIM for 1 pound, and made more calls to the US than I was in the US.  (You need a phone compatible with Three's implementation of Skype for this to work).  You can also pay Skype a few dollars to spoof your US phone number in the caller-id and using a very simple computer trick, can have a US phone number give you free incoming on your Three phone.  

If you are not into this, look at Lebarra http://www.lebara.co.uk/.  You can call the US for 5p a minute and the SIM card is free. 

7 of 7 (594 Views)