Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 20, 2011
2:48:02 PM
View profile
international calling TO U.S.?

Can a quad-band prepaid GoPhone be used to call FROM foreign countries TO numbers in the U.S., the same way a contract quad-band phone may be used?

Can a quad-band prepaid GoPhone be used to call FROM foreign countries TO numbers in the U.S., the same way a contract quad-band phone may be used?

international calling TO U.S.?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 9:53:18 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 20, 2011 at 9:58:19 PM

If you use att sim card, the answer is no, It's not in accordance with the terms of use.

If you use att sim card, the answer is no, It's not in accordance with the terms of use.

Re: international calling TO U.S.?

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 4:26:05 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:29:50 AM

Dial01 wrote:

Dial01,

Not using AT&T international calling.  No roaming privilege other than Mexico.  And that is a good thing.

Unless money is no object, the AT&T post-paid roaming fees are insanely expensive, and applied to both incoming and outgoing calls. (Foreign countries typically do not charge for incoming calls, only outgoing).

Instead, unlock your phone (example, http://stores.ebay.com/UnlockG ) and buy a prepaid foreign SIM on a local shop when traveling.

So, the absence of AT&T international roaming on prepaid is a good thing.  Trust me.

Dial01 wrote:

Dial01,

Not using AT&T international calling.  No roaming privilege other than Mexico.  And that is a good thing.

Unless money is no object, the AT&T post-paid roaming fees are insanely expensive, and applied to both incoming and outgoing calls. (Foreign countries typically do not charge for incoming calls, only outgoing).

Instead, unlock your phone (example, http://stores.ebay.com/UnlockG ) and buy a prepaid foreign SIM on a local shop when traveling.

So, the absence of AT&T international roaming on prepaid is a good thing.  Trust me.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 9:35:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Unless money is no object, the AT&T post-paid roaming fees are insanely expensive, and applied to both incoming and outgoing calls.

Yes and no. Voice and data are indeed insanely expensive, but texting roaming rates are quite reasonable, in my opinion: fifty cents to send (just double the standard international text rate from the US), nothing extra to receive (that is, the same as in the US, whatever your plan is). I'd gladly pay that to receive my US mobile texts overseas. I wish I had the option to turn roaming on. Smiley Sad

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Unless money is no object, the AT&T post-paid roaming fees are insanely expensive, and applied to both incoming and outgoing calls.

Yes and no. Voice and data are indeed insanely expensive, but texting roaming rates are quite reasonable, in my opinion: fifty cents to send (just double the standard international text rate from the US), nothing extra to receive (that is, the same as in the US, whatever your plan is). I'd gladly pay that to receive my US mobile texts overseas. I wish I had the option to turn roaming on. Smiley Sad

4 of 6 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 10:22:52 PM
(0)
Professor
You may want to consider T-Mobile prepaid that includes International roaming. IMO, T-Mobil coverage looks good.
You may want to consider T-Mobile prepaid that includes International roaming. IMO, T-Mobil coverage looks good.

5 of 6 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 11:25:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

ilikewireless wrote:
You may want to consider T-Mobile prepaid that includes International roaming. 

T-Mobile prepaid roaming only includes Mexico and Canada. I used to be with T-Mobile - that's how it was then, and I just checked and confirmed that's how it still is.

Mind you, it was a nice convenience when I traveled in Canada. Like AT&T, their texting roaming rates are quite reasonable.

ilikewireless wrote:
You may want to consider T-Mobile prepaid that includes International roaming. 

T-Mobile prepaid roaming only includes Mexico and Canada. I used to be with T-Mobile - that's how it was then, and I just checked and confirmed that's how it still is.

Mind you, it was a nice convenience when I traveled in Canada. Like AT&T, their texting roaming rates are quite reasonable.

6 of 6 (368 Views)