intermittent 3G loss

Scholar

intermittent 3G loss

I have an occasional problem with my Microcell losing the 3G connection. I know it's happening because my iphone4 will lose the 5 bars and M-Cell 3G indicator and when I look at the Microcell the 3G indicator is flashing. The problem seems to only last a few minutes at most before the 3G indicator is solid again the 5 bars and M-Cell 3G indicator returns on my iphone. But when it happens it's very annoying because I notice it when I'm using my phone. Is there anything I can do to maintain constant 3G connection with my Microcell? I should mention that I'm using a DLink DAP-1522 wireless bridge with the Microcell. Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (1,229 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: intermittent 3G loss

davidsf wrote:

I have an occasional problem with my Microcell losing the 3G connection. I know it's happening because my iphone4 will lose the 5 bars and M-Cell 3G indicator and when I look at the Microcell the 3G indicator is flashing. The problem seems to only last a few minutes at most before the 3G indicator is solid again the 5 bars and M-Cell 3G indicator returns on my iphone. But when it happens it's very annoying because I notice it when I'm using my phone. Is there anything I can do to maintain constant 3G connection with my Microcell? I should mention that I'm using a DLink DAP-1522 wireless bridge with the Microcell. Thanks.

You may have to set up port forwarding in your router to keep a constant connection after an upgrade. I believe someone posted the settings for your type of router.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (1,204 Views)
Scholar

Otto Pylot wrote:

davidsf wrote:

You may have to set up port forwarding in your router to keep a constant connection after an upgrade. I believe someone posted the settings for your type of router.

After what was upgraded? Are you saying this is only a temporary problem after an upgrade adn then the 3G connection should be solid until the next upgrade? If so maybe I can live with that.

I tried searching for the port forwarding instructions but couldn't find them. Can someone point me to them?

TIA.

Message 3 of 10 (1,159 Views)
Scholar

This is information that you can find on http://wireless.att.com/support

It has all the correct ports and port forwarding information that you need to put into your router. Hope this helps you.

Configure the network to allow the following:

• DHCP is on
  • Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
  • MTU size is set to 1492
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T 3G MicroCell
  • IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled TCP/UDP Ports
    NOTE:  All ports listed need to be configured for inbound and outbound connections.
    • 123/UDP: NTP timing (NTP traffic)
    • 443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic
    • 4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, voice traffic)
    • 500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection (after NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used)
    • 4500/UDP: After NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (1,153 Views)
Scholar

jason213x wrote:

This is information that you can find on http://wireless.att.com/support

It has all the correct ports and port forwarding information that you need to put into your router. Hope this helps you.

Configure the network to allow the following:

• DHCP is on
  • Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
  • MTU size is set to 1492
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T 3G MicroCell
  • IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled TCP/UDP Ports
    NOTE:  All ports listed need to be configured for inbound and outbound connections.
    • 123/UDP: NTP timing (NTP traffic)
    • 443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic
    • 4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, voice traffic)
    • 500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection (after NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used)
    • 4500/UDP: After NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used

Do I use the  above settings on my wireless router (Linksys) or wireless bridge (DLink)? Or both?? TIA.

Message 5 of 10 (1,149 Views)
Scholar

The best thing to do is to just use the Linksys (Router) with those settings and don't use the Bridge. When you use the bridge your only causing the configuration to be that much harder because then you have to reconfigure both. If you can get away with disconnecting the bridge that would be your best bet. Just use the Linksys, put those settings in there, reboot the modem and the microcell and the router.. and viola you should be golden. If you need help you can always Contact Linksys Technical Support at: 1-800-326-7114

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10 (1,142 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

jason213x wrote:

The best thing to do is to just use the Linksys (Router) with those settings and don't use the Bridge. When you use the bridge your only causing the configuration to be that much harder because then you have to reconfigure both. If you can get away with disconnecting the bridge that would be your best bet. Just use the Linksys, put those settings in there, reboot the modem and the microcell and the router.. and viola you should be golden. If you need help you can always Contact Linksys Technical Support at: 1-800-326-7114

Unfortunately my Linksys router isn't in the best place for the Microcell. Otherwise I would've connected the Microcell there and saved $100.

Message 7 of 10 (1,111 Views)
Scholar

Sorry, I would **never** muck with low level things like that for a perfectly good, very fast, working network.  Especially if it is some random person at AT&T recommending it.

Message 8 of 10 (1,085 Views)
ACE - Master

nategold wrote:

Sorry, I would **never** muck with low level things like that for a perfectly good, very fast, working network.  Especially if it is some random person at AT&T recommending it.

Unfortunately, it was the only thing that worked for me. However, the only thing that I have wired to my AEBS is the MicroCell. I haven't had any problems at all with my network. Very fast, stable, and secure.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 10 (1,075 Views)
Scholar

Given the intermittent blinking of the 3G light that many (myself included) I would not be surprised if you set your router low level parameters back to the default and it now also worked.

Any device that needs mucking like this is very poorly designed.

Message 10 of 10 (1,056 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.