interested in the laptop connect but need more info about it.

Contributor

interested in the laptop connect but need more info about it.

I saw an ad in a magazine about AT&T's laptop connect.  I currently am an AT&T wireless subscriber, this is my 5th year with cell phone service with them.  I get unlimited internet on my cellphone, but most times i'm lucky to get a connection to the internet on my laptop with my cell phone.  i'm interested in the laptop connect service, but it looks like my area has to have 3G service in order to get it.  i don't think my area has 3G because it never says 3G on my phone (but when I go to springfield or little rock or other major cities it will say 3G, where i live at is a rural area.  does anyone know if you really need to access 3g in your area and how much this service will cost?

thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 6 (1,813 Views)
Professor

Re: interested in the laptop connect but need more info about it.

You do not need 3G to use the service, it works on 2G/EDGE as well. I think it is $45 per month for 200 MB and $60 a month for 5 GB.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (1,801 Views)

Your connection will not improve just because you have a data connect plan. The type of connection you get, 3G or edge and the signal strength is all that matters.

Message 3 of 6 (1,736 Views)

You do not need 3G for laptop connect, but it helps if you intend to view or download videos and such.  I live in a fairly rural area and we are just now getting 3G. That is the only to 3G.  It is 10 times faster for downloading stuff.  I have had a lot of trouble with the ATT communication manager lately.  Tried the Sierra Wireless program, but it sends the device into software installation mode.  The ACCM freezes and won't respond at times, so I don't know what to tell you about that.  The 5 gig plan is $60 a month, plenty for me.  The great thing is you can take your laptop nationwide and use it most everywhere.  Also the wifi at most McDonalds and Starbucks comes in handy too.

Message 4 of 6 (1,681 Views)

Don't get it. If you're not in a 3G area it's VERY slow, plus it's expensive. I have a 1yr contract & when it's up I am done. I am very happy with my cell phone service with AT&T, but the aircard is a disappointment. I'm sure it works quite well with 3G, but that's limited. Hope I've helped.

Message 5 of 6 (1,344 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I've been using an aircard since '05 and for the most part it works ok. I've had very few problems and the 2-3 times i did it was resolved quickly.  In 3G areas it's fairly fast, non 3G about the same as dialup. It is only good for supplimental access. I do most of my finance stuff online. and a typical morning of reading a couple news pages, checking brokerage acct, email, and general stuff burns up about 25Mb in about 3 hours. No more getting online in the morning and using it all day. And you will really start to dislike your friends that send email junk with video clips.

forget watching much video online or you'll really burn up the data. With the ending of the unlimited data, I will have to watch it close and resort to hauling my laptop to a wifi access location. But it wworks well where you want access at your location without any other means to get online.

Message 6 of 6 (996 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.