Helpful Links

infuse memory recovery

Contributor

infuse memory recovery

I have an Infuse 4G that wont boot past the globe sccreen. I need to find out how to recover pics, vids, contacts and docs from the internal memory. I found out the phone never saved to the SD card as a default location. I dont want to get a new phone until I can get the info on the internal memory. The customer service says the Direct service centers cant take phone calls. I have to go face to face. The closest one is in Rogers Ark. 3 hours away. If they could tell me the chances of recovery, maybe the trip would be worth it. This is important to me as the items are irreplacable. Someone please help!!! The Android forum I joined cant seem to help. Thanks in advance! I am new to Android and now I'm afraid to have one again.

Message 1 of 8
Former Community Manager

Re: infuse memory recovery

Youch Smiley Sad

I'm not sure what the best options for recovering data from a phone that won't boot are. 

Let me do a bit of research and see what I can find out. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8
Professor

Your contacts should be saved to Gmail, unless you specifically set it up not to.  Just try logging onto Gmail, and see if your contacts are there.  If they are there, they will automatically synch to your next Android phone when you enter your Google login info.  This is the way Android is meant to be used.  Your contacts and Gmail email are saved to the cloud, you don't have to worry about losing them.

Of course, this doesn't help for the pics and vids.  Don't know if there is a way to retrieve these from memory. 

Message 3 of 8
Former Community Manager

Good call redpoint - that would be the ideal way to get contacts. 

@myinfuse - I got ahold of my friends at Samsung and asked their opinion and they agreed that your best option is to head to the Direct Service Center. Apparently they have some tools that will be able to help. 

I know it's a long drive for you, but it sounds like this might be the only way you'll be able to retain all of your data. 

Please let us know what you end up doing and GOOD LUCK!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 8
Contributor

Thanks you all ! I went to g-mail and no contacts were saved. I assume this means when we set up the acct, that it did't sync properly. I'm sure my son did not tell it not to. I am sad to hear that the service center is the only avenue at this time. Hopefully Att will open one here in KC soon for the future of this area's big customer base. Hint Hint. LOL Keep checking for other option. Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

it would help me if I could call the service center, but am told no phone calls allowed to the centers. If I could call the one in Rogers, ark, maybe they could tell me if the trip is worth it or not. I understand the reason, but this is kinda frustrating. sorry for the venting.

Message 6 of 8
Professor

If you were coming from a "dumb phone" before this one, and your contact phone numbers were on the SIM, they should still be there. You can put the SIM in another phone, and import them.  Storing contact info to the SIM is however very limiting (can't store much info), and IMO Google/GMail contacts is the best method on Android.

If your contact info was stored to the phone, and not the SIM, a couple things could have gone wrong:

1)  Every time you setup a new contact, you have the choice of making it a Gmail contact, or phone only.  Obviously, if you picked phone only, you are kinda stuck now.  The Gmail choice is the better way.

2)  You contacts were setup as Gmail contacts.  But the phone was not setup properly to sync to Gmail.  By default, this should work properly.  But if you bypassed the Google sync setup when you first activated the phone, it may not be set to sync.  Bypassing the Google login setup during activation of the phone is not recommended, and IMO not th proper or best way to use Android.

I don't personally own an Infuse or Samsung device, but the above is based on how Android is typically setup to work.  Samsung may have made some proprietary changes to the interface (that what I mentioned), but manufacturers typically  tend to leave the above features alone.

Message 7 of 8

See if you can get an ADB (USB debugging) connection - it is sometimes possible to ADB in when stuck in the bootanimation.

Unfortunately stock recovery does not allow ADB connections, so there is no way to guarantee ADB access without voiding your warranty by installing a custom kernel.  (Clockworkmod Recovery is superior to the stock recovery, including permitting ADB access in recovery for situations just like this one.)

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support