Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 3, 2011
6:57:05 PM
View profile
infuse gps problem
Hi. I have the infuse. Love it. Only problem is the gps often cannot lock on when i am using the navigation app. Anyone else have this problem? Sometimes resetting my phone helps. Should i exchange the phone for a new one? Would it help? Thanks
Hi. I have the infuse. Love it. Only problem is the gps often cannot lock on when i am using the navigation app. Anyone else have this problem? Sometimes resetting my phone helps. Should i exchange the phone for a new one? Would it help? Thanks

infuse gps problem

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2011 3:25:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

IVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!

IVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!

Re: infuse gps problem

2 of 12 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 4:54:39 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by davidusr on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:03:14 PM
Ditto, with the stock ROM. The first infuse I had went diving in the lake... Yea yea, i know, why am I in the lake with my phone... Anyway, it had a custom ROM On it and GPS was flawless. This new one won't lock. Downloaded GPS status, found 4 satellites in 5 minutes with 0 locked. Samsung and their junky GPS software! After posting this, i went outside and opened up GPS Status again... Had 12 satellites almost instantly, and locked to 8 within 15 seconds. I don't know...
Ditto, with the stock ROM. The first infuse I had went diving in the lake... Yea yea, i know, why am I in the lake with my phone... Anyway, it had a custom ROM On it and GPS was flawless. This new one won't lock. Downloaded GPS status, found 4 satellites in 5 minutes with 0 locked. Samsung and their junky GPS software! After posting this, i went outside and opened up GPS Status again... Had 12 satellites almost instantly, and locked to 8 within 15 seconds. I don't know...

[ Edited ]
3 of 12 (2,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 6:50:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have had the same issue with the GPS locking on. It seems when im driving if i put the phone on the dashboard it stays locked on easier. When i put the phone in my cup holder it seems to loose gps signal. I am using At&t navigator. Does anyone know of a fix coming ? Maybe in android 2.3 ?
I have had the same issue with the GPS locking on. It seems when im driving if i put the phone on the dashboard it stays locked on easier. When i put the phone in my cup holder it seems to loose gps signal. I am using At&t navigator. Does anyone know of a fix coming ? Maybe in android 2.3 ?

4 of 12 (2,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 8:18:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same exact problem and it is extremely frustrating. I came from the iPhone and was extremely exited about the Samsung Infuse because of the screen size. My iPhone GPS worked flawlessly and now with the Infuse, Google navigation never locks on to a satellite. It continues to read "searching for GPS..." It seems like it gets me in the general location but never locks in and I can never see where I am going. It is completely useless. I called ATT and complained and they said they would send me another phone. I am hoping the refurb phone will have a better GPS chip in it. I can't deal with this. The phone is awesome despite the GPS which is causing me to want to switch to another phone. WHat kind of ROM did you have to make the GPS work?

I have the same exact problem and it is extremely frustrating. I came from the iPhone and was extremely exited about the Samsung Infuse because of the screen size. My iPhone GPS worked flawlessly and now with the Infuse, Google navigation never locks on to a satellite. It continues to read "searching for GPS..." It seems like it gets me in the general location but never locks in and I can never see where I am going. It is completely useless. I called ATT and complained and they said they would send me another phone. I am hoping the refurb phone will have a better GPS chip in it. I can't deal with this. The phone is awesome despite the GPS which is causing me to want to switch to another phone. WHat kind of ROM did you have to make the GPS work?

5 of 12 (2,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 10:49:59 AM
(0)
Guru
Download GPS Status from the market. Allow it to update daily, automatically. I have yet to load a custom ROM On my replacement Infuse and GPS is working pretty well so far.
Download GPS Status from the market. Allow it to update daily, automatically. I have yet to load a custom ROM On my replacement Infuse and GPS is working pretty well so far.

6 of 12 (2,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 9:22:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
I dled that snf fasterfix snf GPS fix snf GPS doctor. Still does not work. I changed server to suple-google snf suple-nokia with 7276 port. Secure off, etc..... I compared my phone to an infuse at an ATT store and it locked on within seconds inside of a mall! Mine can't even lock out in open daylight with 5 satellites with good signal strength.
I dled that snf fasterfix snf GPS fix snf GPS doctor. Still does not work. I changed server to suple-google snf suple-nokia with 7276 port. Secure off, etc..... I compared my phone to an infuse at an ATT store and it locked on within seconds inside of a mall! Mine can't even lock out in open daylight with 5 satellites with good signal strength.

7 of 12 (2,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 9:23:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Snf=and
Snf=and

8 of 12 (2,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 10:04:33 AM
(0)
Guru
You probably need to exchange it then. Sounds like it's a hardware prob.
You probably need to exchange it then. Sounds like it's a hardware prob.

9 of 12 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 4:31:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
the funny thing is att said its not covered under warranty!!!!! so if the gps hardware is not locking onto a satelite but the infuse inside the att store is locking on and the settings are mirrored, that's not covered? I'm very frustrated with this bunk warranty.
the funny thing is att said its not covered under warranty!!!!! so if the gps hardware is not locking onto a satelite but the infuse inside the att store is locking on and the settings are mirrored, that's not covered? I'm very frustrated with this bunk warranty.

10 of 12 (2,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 4:59:00 PM
(0)
Guru
Call 1-800-331-0500 and have them transfer you to the warranty dept. The phone IS under warranty, unless it has unusual physical damage, like cracked screen or badly banged up, or water damage. They will ask you to do a hard reset to see if it fixes the problem, maybe walk you through some settings. I would do a hard reset to see if it solves the problem before calling them, if you haven't already.
Call 1-800-331-0500 and have them transfer you to the warranty dept. The phone IS under warranty, unless it has unusual physical damage, like cracked screen or badly banged up, or water damage. They will ask you to do a hard reset to see if it fixes the problem, maybe walk you through some settings. I would do a hard reset to see if it solves the problem before calling them, if you haven't already.

11 of 12 (1,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 7:07:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've done 2 hard resets previously and it still does not work. I just bought this phone in June and I gave it a good 2 months before giving up. I called the warranty dept and they do not deal with Samsung Infuse so they transferred me to the Android warranty dept (not sure what the difference is) and they told me that the GPS not working is not covered under warranty. They told me that ATT navigator would work because it uses the wireless towers to help find your location. I told them that I need the phone to lock on with satellites. What's the purpose of buying a phone that "kind of" works??? I tried to keep cool but I finally asked for the supervisor because the rep kept telling me it's not covered. Then I was hung up on. I guarantee you that if you call ATT warranty dept and you tell them your GPS on your Samsung Infuse is not locking on to a satellite and it continues to say "searching for GPS", they will tell you it is not covered under warranty. I feel real uneasy about my purchase after spending over 135 minutes between 2 android warranty reps telling me it is not covered. 

I've done 2 hard resets previously and it still does not work. I just bought this phone in June and I gave it a good 2 months before giving up. I called the warranty dept and they do not deal with Samsung Infuse so they transferred me to the Android warranty dept (not sure what the difference is) and they told me that the GPS not working is not covered under warranty. They told me that ATT navigator would work because it uses the wireless towers to help find your location. I told them that I need the phone to lock on with satellites. What's the purpose of buying a phone that "kind of" works??? I tried to keep cool but I finally asked for the supervisor because the rep kept telling me it's not covered. Then I was hung up on. I guarantee you that if you call ATT warranty dept and you tell them your GPS on your Samsung Infuse is not locking on to a satellite and it continues to say "searching for GPS", they will tell you it is not covered under warranty. I feel real uneasy about my purchase after spending over 135 minutes between 2 android warranty reps telling me it is not covered. 

12 of 12 (1,694 Views)