Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2011
6:09:57 AM
infuse fm radio

The att website says the infuse has an fm radio. I've had this phone for 3 months and still haven't found it. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

The att website says the infuse has an fm radio. I've had this phone for 3 months and still haven't found it. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

infuse fm radio

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 9:49:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just bought this phone for the very same reason!  I have searched hi and low and can't find any info on using this imaginary FM tuner.  Based on the stellar reviews, I am sorely disappointed in this phone for cellular, wi-fi, and bluetooth reception.  I think I like my wife's new HTC Inspire much better!

I just bought this phone for the very same reason!  I have searched hi and low and can't find any info on using this imaginary FM tuner.  Based on the stellar reviews, I am sorely disappointed in this phone for cellular, wi-fi, and bluetooth reception.  I think I like my wife's new HTC Inspire much better!

Re: infuse fm radio

2 of 24 (3,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 12:23:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hubby and I both hated the HTC Inspire. Horrible speaker! I love my Infuse!

Hubby and I both hated the HTC Inspire. Horrible speaker! I love my Infuse!

3 of 24 (3,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 11:33:25 AM
(0)
Guru

angelofmusic24 wrote:

Where does it say this?  I cannot find any claims that the Infuse has FM radio capability.

I never saw any marketing saying that it had it, it's definitely not in the firmware of the AT&T Froyo or Rogers Gingerbread releases.

The chip that handles Bluetooth and GPS (STE CG2900) on our device DOES have FM capability, but I've never seen anything that enabled it and there probably isn't even an antenna wired to the chip for FM.

Trying to get FM working is something on the list of the dev crew over on XDA, but it's pretty low priority - we're still trying to get Bluetooth working again for Cyanogenmod 7.  Smiley Happy

angelofmusic24 wrote:

Where does it say this?  I cannot find any claims that the Infuse has FM radio capability.

I never saw any marketing saying that it had it, it's definitely not in the firmware of the AT&T Froyo or Rogers Gingerbread releases.

The chip that handles Bluetooth and GPS (STE CG2900) on our device DOES have FM capability, but I've never seen anything that enabled it and there probably isn't even an antenna wired to the chip for FM.

Trying to get FM working is something on the list of the dev crew over on XDA, but it's pretty low priority - we're still trying to get Bluetooth working again for Cyanogenmod 7.  Smiley Happy

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

4 of 24 (3,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 4:15:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you "shop" for the Infuse on the att.com site , FM radio is listed as one of it's features.

If you "shop" for the Infuse on the att.com site , FM radio is listed as one of it's features.

5 of 24 (3,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 8:26:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
It doesn't have fm radio, but get "tunein radio" app....it works fine and will do exactly what you need! even has a web login so you can manage fm station from across the county and throughout the internet.
It doesn't have fm radio, but get "tunein radio" app....it works fine and will do exactly what you need! even has a web login so you can manage fm station from across the county and throughout the internet.

6 of 24 (3,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 3:35:22 AM
(0)
Expert

angelofmusic24 wrote:

Not seeing it offered on ATT website on the description of the phone either

angelofmusic24 wrote:

Not seeing it offered on ATT website on the description of the phone either

7 of 24 (3,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 11:24:07 AM
(0)
Guru
X3... Didn't see any mention of FM Radio. Sure you weren't looking at the Inspire?
X3... Didn't see any mention of FM Radio. Sure you weren't looking at the Inspire?

8 of 24 (3,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 3:05:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I can't find it now. LOL But I know I saw it. Tune In Radio will have to do!

I can't find it now. LOL But I know I saw it. Tune In Radio will have to do!

9 of 24 (3,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 9:33:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for this information!Smiley Happy

Thank you for this information!Smiley Happy

10 of 24 (3,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 6:33:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I saw the FM radio listed as a characteristic for the Infuse on the AT&T website when I purchased it - specifically for that reason.  Most online reviews and news releases on the Infuse also mention it.  It searched high and low and can up empty.  Even AT&T Customer Service and Support came up empty but had no response for the false advertising and misrepresentation.

My wife's HTC Inspire came with an app that turned the phone into an FM radio which is pretty cool - easier to use than the FM radio on my old Nokia.

Very disappointed in both the Infuse (loved the screen to watch HD videos) and AT&T - just returned and went back to my old GSM phone.

I saw the FM radio listed as a characteristic for the Infuse on the AT&T website when I purchased it - specifically for that reason.  Most online reviews and news releases on the Infuse also mention it.  It searched high and low and can up empty.  Even AT&T Customer Service and Support came up empty but had no response for the false advertising and misrepresentation.

My wife's HTC Inspire came with an app that turned the phone into an FM radio which is pretty cool - easier to use than the FM radio on my old Nokia.

Very disappointed in both the Infuse (loved the screen to watch HD videos) and AT&T - just returned and went back to my old GSM phone.

11 of 24 (2,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:32:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Evil_Homer on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:14:20 AM

FM is listed as a Infuse feature on the AT&T site in the features comparison function... when you compare the Infuse to another phone. (Edit - I confirmed this morning that compare list still shows it.)

My wife bought Infuse in July. I looked for FM radio option on phone menus, and I couldn't find it. I was disappointed.

Is it an error showing FM in the compare list? Or does the phone has FM, but AT&T has disabled it? Maybe AT&T will enable it in the future?

I understand that internet radio is available with numerous apps... the problem with that is internet radio usage affects the phone's data cap and my home internet data cap (when using wi fi). Also, there's local channels I would like to listen to that aren't available on internet radio. I don't like being forced to go to internet radio... my current older phone has a FM tuner!

FM is listed as a Infuse feature on the AT&T site in the features comparison function... when you compare the Infuse to another phone. (Edit - I confirmed this morning that compare list still shows it.)

My wife bought Infuse in July. I looked for FM radio option on phone menus, and I couldn't find it. I was disappointed.

Is it an error showing FM in the compare list? Or does the phone has FM, but AT&T has disabled it? Maybe AT&T will enable it in the future?

I understand that internet radio is available with numerous apps... the problem with that is internet radio usage affects the phone's data cap and my home internet data cap (when using wi fi). Also, there's local channels I would like to listen to that aren't available on internet radio. I don't like being forced to go to internet radio... my current older phone has a FM tuner!

[ Edited ]
12 of 24 (2,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 9:27:19 AM
(0)
Guru

I just tried a device comparison.  No mention of FM whatsoever.

One of the chips in the Infuse supports FM reception, however:

1)  No drivers exist for that particular subfeature of the chip.

2)  The chip likely doesn't have an antenna or any of the required audio I/O wired up for FM.

Some of us over on XDA were thinking of trying to get the FM component working, but the more people work with the CG2900, the more they want to avoid ever touching it again.

I just tried a device comparison.  No mention of FM whatsoever.

One of the chips in the Infuse supports FM reception, however:

1)  No drivers exist for that particular subfeature of the chip.

2)  The chip likely doesn't have an antenna or any of the required audio I/O wired up for FM.

Some of us over on XDA were thinking of trying to get the FM component working, but the more people work with the CG2900, the more they want to avoid ever touching it again.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

13 of 24 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:30:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by draupnyr on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:32:35 AM

It is listed as a feature when you compare it to other phones:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/phones/phones_compare.jsp?_requestid=3583

go down and expand multimedia to see it listed as having fm radio.

I just ordered the infuse and if it doesn't have the fm radio capability I will be really upset!

It is listed as a feature when you compare it to other phones:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/phones/phones_compare.jsp?_requestid=3583

go down and expand multimedia to see it listed as having fm radio.

I just ordered the infuse and if it doesn't have the fm radio capability I will be really upset!

[ Edited ]
14 of 24 (2,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:32:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
and open up the multimedia to see the fm radio options
and open up the multimedia to see the fm radio options

15 of 24 (2,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:33:14 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:34:27 AM

It does NOT have FM radio capability.

Why would you want to listen to ClearChannel anyway?

The last time I was sentenced to a few hours with FM as my only source of entertainment (curse you for being lazy about moving sat subscriptions to your fleet account, Avis...), I couldn't stand it and just turned it off after 30 minutes.

It does NOT have FM radio capability.

Why would you want to listen to ClearChannel anyway?

The last time I was sentenced to a few hours with FM as my only source of entertainment (curse you for being lazy about moving sat subscriptions to your fleet account, Avis...), I couldn't stand it and just turned it off after 30 minutes.

[ Edited ]
16 of 24 (2,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:34:23 AM
(0)
Tutor
but it is listed as having FM radio on ATT's website...
but it is listed as having FM radio on ATT's website...

17 of 24 (2,597 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:35:02 AM
(0)
Guru

No it isn't - it's not listed anywhere as having FM radio and hasn't been for ages.  The link you provided does not function.

No it isn't - it's not listed anywhere as having FM radio and hasn't been for ages.  The link you provided does not function.

18 of 24 (2,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:37:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
hmm when I click on the link it works. I wonder how so many other people have seen it stated on the att site that the infuse has fm but you can't see it?
hmm when I click on the link it works. I wonder how so many other people have seen it stated on the att site that the infuse has fm but you can't see it?

19 of 24 (2,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:50:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

I checked this morning, and AT&T lists Infuse as having FM Radio. That's from my view after logging in... I don't know if that makes a difference.

We all understand the benefits of internet radio. But that doesn't have every station, and yes, it eats the data plan (which many don't have unlimited).

Sure, AT&T wants us to use more data. But then why do some smartphones have FM tuner and others don't? Why does Atrix 2 have FM tuner but AT&T's SGSII doesn't? To force for data usage, wouldn't AT&T eliminate FM tuners on all their smart phones? If not, why not have FM on all phones then? My understanding is other versions of SGSII have FM, so AT&T removed it from their version, but didn't remove it from Atrix 2? At least give me some consistency. Smiley Very Happy

I checked this morning, and AT&T lists Infuse as having FM Radio. That's from my view after logging in... I don't know if that makes a difference.

We all understand the benefits of internet radio. But that doesn't have every station, and yes, it eats the data plan (which many don't have unlimited).

Sure, AT&T wants us to use more data. But then why do some smartphones have FM tuner and others don't? Why does Atrix 2 have FM tuner but AT&T's SGSII doesn't? To force for data usage, wouldn't AT&T eliminate FM tuners on all their smart phones? If not, why not have FM on all phones then? My understanding is other versions of SGSII have FM, so AT&T removed it from their version, but didn't remove it from Atrix 2? At least give me some consistency. Smiley Very Happy

20 of 24 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 8:46:04 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:51:01 AM

Evil_Homer wrote:

Don't see it here - this is a scren shot from a few monutes ago on the Infuse 4G - only one I see out there. You maybe loading from a old cache, especially if it is a deep link to the device. Suspect that you are becasue the link you posted does not function, it brings it to a premire logon screen. Think it is loading from your local cache and not a fresh load form the website

Evil_Homer wrote:

Don't see it here - this is a scren shot from a few monutes ago on the Infuse 4G - only one I see out there. You maybe loading from a old cache, especially if it is a deep link to the device. Suspect that you are becasue the link you posted does not function, it brings it to a premire logon screen. Think it is loading from your local cache and not a fresh load form the website

[ Edited ]
21 of 24 (2,678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 9:46:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

My browser is set to refresh everytime I visit a page.

The page I am talking about is a device comparison after I log in to att.com. It says Infuse has FM.

I guess they didn't update it everywhere.

This just adds to the confusion.

just

My browser is set to refresh everytime I visit a page.

The page I am talking about is a device comparison after I log in to att.com. It says Infuse has FM.

I guess they didn't update it everywhere.

This just adds to the confusion.

just

22 of 24 (2,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 11:06:28 AM
(0)
Guru

Now THAT is odd, because AT&T acknowledged that the Galaxy S II erroneously was listed as having FM, and removed it from every page I was aware of, but whatever you're looking at says it does have it.

I can tell you, without any doubt, the Infuse does NOT have an operational (or even close to operational) FM chipset.  I think the CG2900 does have FM reception, but the antenna isn't wired, it's not enabled, and the CG2900 makes kernel hackers on XDA so miserable that you will never see FM (when we mess with the CG2900 it's to get Bluetooth working in Cyanogenmod - and once that's working, none of us are going near that monstrosity of a chipset again.)

Now THAT is odd, because AT&T acknowledged that the Galaxy S II erroneously was listed as having FM, and removed it from every page I was aware of, but whatever you're looking at says it does have it.

I can tell you, without any doubt, the Infuse does NOT have an operational (or even close to operational) FM chipset.  I think the CG2900 does have FM reception, but the antenna isn't wired, it's not enabled, and the CG2900 makes kernel hackers on XDA so miserable that you will never see FM (when we mess with the CG2900 it's to get Bluetooth working in Cyanogenmod - and once that's working, none of us are going near that monstrosity of a chipset again.)

23 of 24 (2,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 12:28:45 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:30:13 PM

have a feeling he is looking at the premire site that ATT neglected to update the web page, I just did a compare on the residential side of the house - no FM radio listed and the compare is different

have a feeling he is looking at the premire site that ATT neglected to update the web page, I just did a compare on the residential side of the house - no FM radio listed and the compare is different

[ Edited ]
24 of 24 (2,653 Views)