Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 1, 2012
6:35:35 PM
View profile
iPhone4s and Charging

When charging iPhone 4s, I turn it off, plug into power outlet, and leave it for 2-3 hours. Then I disconnect power cord and do nothing else.  Question is, is the phone still OFF. In other words, is it still not available for a call and ring tone? I know a call will go to Voicemail, but do not want to have it ring when I am not available. Suggestions? Thanks.

When charging iPhone 4s, I turn it off, plug into power outlet, and leave it for 2-3 hours. Then I disconnect power cord and do nothing else.  Question is, is the phone still OFF. In other words, is it still not available for a call and ring tone? I know a call will go to Voicemail, but do not want to have it ring when I am not available. Suggestions? Thanks.

iPhone4s and Charging

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 7:45:44 PM
(0)
Master

If you touch the home button and it does not display anything, it is off.  Personally I never turn off my iPhone.  I will turn the ringer off and it will eventually go to voice mail.  I like to be able to see if I have calls and more importantly emails.  Turn the ringer by flipping the toggle switch down until you see an organge strip on the toggle.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If you touch the home button and it does not display anything, it is off.  Personally I never turn off my iPhone.  I will turn the ringer off and it will eventually go to voice mail.  I like to be able to see if I have calls and more importantly emails.  Turn the ringer by flipping the toggle switch down until you see an organge strip on the toggle.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iPhone4s and Charging

2 of 24 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 4:52:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

philrob wrote:

Strange, every time I turn my iPhone 4s off and plug it it.  The phone turns itself back on.  I've never been able to get it to charge in the "off" mode.

philrob wrote:

Strange, every time I turn my iPhone 4s off and plug it it.  The phone turns itself back on.  I've never been able to get it to charge in the "off" mode.

3 of 24 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 4:59:04 AM
(0)
Guru
If you turn your iPhone off and then plug it in it will turn back on. You would have to plug it in first and than turn it off but I don't think it will charge unless the iPhone is on.
If you turn your iPhone off and then plug it in it will turn back on. You would have to plug it in first and than turn it off but I don't think it will charge unless the iPhone is on.

4 of 24 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 5:47:48 AM
(0)
Professor
Just tried it. Turned the phone off and then plugged it in. Phone turned back on. Unplugged it, and it stayed on.
Just tried it. Turned the phone off and then plugged it in. Phone turned back on. Unplugged it, and it stayed on.

5 of 24 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 5:50:40 AM
(0)
Professor
PS, you can always put the phone in airplane mode while on the charger. That disconnects it from the cell network, as well as WiFi or anything else.
PS, you can always put the phone in airplane mode while on the charger. That disconnects it from the cell network, as well as WiFi or anything else.

6 of 24 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 6:32:24 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Facci wrote:

Well, it definitely will charge when the phone turns itself off because the battery has totally drained, so I would assume that it does continue to charge if you turn it off. I guess an easy way to test would be take note of the battery percentage when you turn the phone off. If it is higher when you turn it back on, it continued to charge.

Facci wrote:

Well, it definitely will charge when the phone turns itself off because the battery has totally drained, so I would assume that it does continue to charge if you turn it off. I guess an easy way to test would be take note of the battery percentage when you turn the phone off. If it is higher when you turn it back on, it continued to charge.

7 of 24 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 6:51:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

By "turn off" do you mean you press and hold thesuspend button on top until "slide to power off" is displayed, then you slide it, to power it off?

If you do that it should stay off.

If you just press the suspend button on top, that turns off the display and sleeps the phone - it's still very much ON. This is typically what people do - leave it on all the time.

If you just want to disable the phone at times, why not just put it in airplane mode?

By "turn off" do you mean you press and hold thesuspend button on top until "slide to power off" is displayed, then you slide it, to power it off?

If you do that it should stay off.

If you just press the suspend button on top, that turns off the display and sleeps the phone - it's still very much ON. This is typically what people do - leave it on all the time.

If you just want to disable the phone at times, why not just put it in airplane mode?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 24 (792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 9:49:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

Last post was how I do it - push button at top of phone until I get power off slide, and slide to off. Then I plug it in for charging. After a few hours, I disconnect it from power outlet, and the phone is back on, asking me to slide for power off. Will try plugging it into power first, then turning it off.  

Last post was how I do it - push button at top of phone until I get power off slide, and slide to off. Then I plug it in for charging. After a few hours, I disconnect it from power outlet, and the phone is back on, asking me to slide for power off. Will try plugging it into power first, then turning it off.  

9 of 24 (780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 11:33:13 AM
(0)
Guru
Check if you have the updated software.
Check if you have the updated software.

10 of 24 (762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 3:01:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just got the phone about two weeks ago, and downloaded updated sofetware at that time. All I want to do is: CHARGE THE PHONE AND NOT HAVE A CALL COME THRU AND RING WHILE I AM SLEEPING. How do we do that simple act?

Just got the phone about two weeks ago, and downloaded updated sofetware at that time. All I want to do is: CHARGE THE PHONE AND NOT HAVE A CALL COME THRU AND RING WHILE I AM SLEEPING. How do we do that simple act?

11 of 24 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 3:44:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Set a Password on it
So when you charge it after its flat (completely dead)
It takes awhile to boot up once you hear the noise turn it of
But with password on it the phone is locked so it should be of
Till u put ur pin in Smiley Wink
Set a Password on it
So when you charge it after its flat (completely dead)
It takes awhile to boot up once you hear the noise turn it of
But with password on it the phone is locked so it should be of
Till u put ur pin in Smiley Wink

12 of 24 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 3:55:11 PM
(0)
Professor
It's already been mentioned HOW TO DO IT. Go into settings and put the phone into airplane mode while it's on the charger.
It's already been mentioned HOW TO DO IT. Go into settings and put the phone into airplane mode while it's on the charger.

13 of 24 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 4:21:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
I will try that once phones flat but I'm pretty sure with a sim pin activated
It cannot ring till u put ur code in aswell Smiley Happy

14 of 24 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 2:37:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Kerry78 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "It cannot ring till u put ur code in aswell Smiley Happy" if the phone is locked and on the charger it will definately riing if someone calls it, if you put the phone in airplane mode it will not

Kerry78 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "It cannot ring till u put ur code in aswell Smiley Happy" if the phone is locked and on the charger it will definately riing if someone calls it, if you put the phone in airplane mode it will not

15 of 24 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 3:24:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

lol Really I actually assumed it was of till you entered your pin code cos it doesn't connect to

3G either till your Pin code is entered OMG I think i'll have to test that out Woman LOL

lol Really I actually assumed it was of till you entered your pin code cos it doesn't connect to

3G either till your Pin code is entered OMG I think i'll have to test that out Woman LOL

16 of 24 (591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 5:41:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

I said it was OFF not LOCKED. The phone is OFF and on charge, but it still rings when a call is received. I understand that we can use the "Ring/Silent" switch, and we can use the airplane mode, but isn't that awkward. If it's OFF, then why does it do anything other than charge?

I said it was OFF not LOCKED. The phone is OFF and on charge, but it still rings when a call is received. I understand that we can use the "Ring/Silent" switch, and we can use the airplane mode, but isn't that awkward. If it's OFF, then why does it do anything other than charge?

17 of 24 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 6:35:05 PM
(0)
Guru
If the phone is ringing than its NOT off. If you plug the phone in THAN turn it off it will stay off.
If the phone is ringing than its NOT off. If you plug the phone in THAN turn it off it will stay off.

18 of 24 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:01:54 PM
(0)
Professor
I suspect the reason it turns on when you plug in the cable is because it thinks you want to sync or activate the phone and it's setting up the phone for those things. That's probably how the software is designed.
I suspect the reason it turns on when you plug in the cable is because it thinks you want to sync or activate the phone and it's setting up the phone for those things. That's probably how the software is designed.

19 of 24 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 8:52:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Mystery solved - you must plug in power FIRST, then cut off phone. Now works - stays OFF until I depress ON/OFF button and hold it until slider appears. Thanks for helping.

Mystery solved - you must plug in power FIRST, then cut off phone. Now works - stays OFF until I depress ON/OFF button and hold it until slider appears. Thanks for helping.

20 of 24 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 10:53:07 AM
(0)
Guru
That's what I said in post #4!!
That's what I said in post #4!!

21 of 24 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 5:20:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

I Tested my Theory out Folks

I can say it 100% works you need to activate a Sim Pin on your phone

until you enter this Pin code the phone is off I tested it with my landline I rang my

mobile and it went to Answer phone the phone is off until you enter sim pin

I suggest you set this up and avoid the phone ringing on charge Smiley Happy

I Tested my Theory out Folks

I can say it 100% works you need to activate a Sim Pin on your phone

until you enter this Pin code the phone is off I tested it with my landline I rang my

mobile and it went to Answer phone the phone is off until you enter sim pin

I suggest you set this up and avoid the phone ringing on charge Smiley Happy

22 of 24 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 5:31:21 PM
(0)
Guru
Seems like a useless step. Just turn it off while it's charging if that's what you want.
Seems like a useless step. Just turn it off while it's charging if that's what you want.

23 of 24 (548 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 9:03:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
Lol perhaps but if u plug in the charger it doesn't always
Boot up straight away it often takes 20mins to come on
So waiting if ur in a rush might always be the case Smiley Wink