Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 21, 2011
7:55:11 PM
View profile
iPhone with computer

A co-worker said that AT&T offers a way to use your iPhone tethered to your laptop as a way to extend internet connectivity to your laptop when on the road. He said this service can be purchased on a month-to-month basis. Where can I find out more and or purchase this service? 

A co-worker said that AT&T offers a way to use your iPhone tethered to your laptop as a way to extend internet connectivity to your laptop when on the road. He said this service can be purchased on a month-to-month basis. Where can I find out more and or purchase this service? 

iPhone with computer

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 10:55:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
You need to upgrade your data plan to the 4GB plan. You can do that online or through customer support. After that, you need to turn on the PERSONAL HOTSPOT feature on your iPhone (find it under SETTINGS/GENERAL/NETWORK). You can then tether using a USB cable or Bluetooth. Expect average data speeds somewhere between Dial-up and DSL.
You need to upgrade your data plan to the 4GB plan. You can do that online or through customer support. After that, you need to turn on the PERSONAL HOTSPOT feature on your iPhone (find it under SETTINGS/GENERAL/NETWORK). You can then tether using a USB cable or Bluetooth. Expect average data speeds somewhere between Dial-up and DSL.

Re: iPhone with computer

2 of 9 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 12:38:30 PM
(0)
Professor
You also need to have an iPhone 4 with a recent iOS (4.3)? I get about 2Mbps, which is better than the "high speed" of some hotels I've stayed in.
You also need to have an iPhone 4 with a recent iOS (4.3)? I get about 2Mbps, which is better than the "high speed" of some hotels I've stayed in.

3 of 9 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 5:24:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
I tether my iPhone to laptop and use hotspot via USB. But there is an option under iPhone hotspot to connect wirelessly. Why can I get mine to connect USB but not wirelessly with hotspot?
I tether my iPhone to laptop and use hotspot via USB. But there is an option under iPhone hotspot to connect wirelessly. Why can I get mine to connect USB but not wirelessly with hotspot?

4 of 9 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 5:48:39 PM
(0)
Professor

Sljudson wrote:

Do you have an iPhone 4?  I think only the 4 allows WiFi hotspot connectivity.

Sljudson wrote:

Do you have an iPhone 4?  I think only the 4 allows WiFi hotspot connectivity.

5 of 9 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 6:19:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes I have iPhone 4. When I open hotspot on the phone it gives me the option to connect wireless, Bluetooth or USB. My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth so that's not an option. I connect via USB currently. But if I remove cord and tried wireless it says unable to locate iPhone.
Yes I have iPhone 4. When I open hotspot on the phone it gives me the option to connect wireless, Bluetooth or USB. My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth so that's not an option. I connect via USB currently. But if I remove cord and tried wireless it says unable to locate iPhone.

6 of 9 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 7:07:32 PM
(0)
Employee
The wireless function relies on your wifi connection manager
The wireless function relies on your wifi connection manager
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 6:52:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Can you elaborate? Wifi connection mgr where? On my laptop? iPhone?

We also have an HTC Aria that we use as a modem, or tether. We can turn in the Aria's wifi hotspot and my iPhone connects to it without any problems.
Can you elaborate? Wifi connection mgr where? On my laptop? iPhone?

We also have an HTC Aria that we use as a modem, or tether. We can turn in the Aria's wifi hotspot and my iPhone connects to it without any problems.

8 of 9 (585 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 7:04:55 AM
(0)
Former Employee

First, on the iPhone (4) turn "Personal hotspot" on, it'll show you what the network's name is and password, you can change them at that time. Then on your computer, open your wi-fi manager, find iPhone's network name and connect.

First, on the iPhone (4) turn "Personal hotspot" on, it'll show you what the network's name is and password, you can change them at that time. Then on your computer, open your wi-fi manager, find iPhone's network name and connect.

9 of 9 (581 Views)