Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 9, 2012
11:22:30 AM
View profile
iPhone vs Galaxy 111
I have an iPhone 3G and thinking of upgrading to the Galaxy 111. Do you have any suggestions on which is the better choice? I also have an IPad, would the Galaxy be compatible?
I have an iPhone 3G and thinking of upgrading to the Galaxy 111. Do you have any suggestions on which is the better choice? I also have an IPad, would the Galaxy be compatible?

iPhone vs Galaxy 111

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2012 2:22:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

When you ask which is the better choice, what phone other than the Galaxy S III are you considering?  I am waiting for  the Galaxy S III like a kid waits for Christmas.  However, I am a phone junkie and my opinion may not matter as much to you.  I'll get the next iPhone when it comes out, if it comes with some new feature that fascinates me.

When you ask if the Galaxy S III is compatible with the iPad, in which ways are you seeking compatibility?

When you ask which is the better choice, what phone other than the Galaxy S III are you considering?  I am waiting for  the Galaxy S III like a kid waits for Christmas.  However, I am a phone junkie and my opinion may not matter as much to you.  I'll get the next iPhone when it comes out, if it comes with some new feature that fascinates me.

When you ask if the Galaxy S III is compatible with the iPad, in which ways are you seeking compatibility?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone vs Galaxy 111

2 of 6 (1,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 12:01:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03:40 PM

The questions is impossible to answer with the information provided.   It depends on what you expect your phone to do, and your personal preferences.  Smartphones with larger screens can be pretty awesome, I'm finding out.  The small screen on the iPhone is starting to feel like a toy to me compared to my HTC One X (and the screen on the  Galaxy S3 is a touch bigger than that even).  But of course, it means a larger phone to tote around in your pocket or purse.  Android also has tons of customization options that the iPhone simply does not allow.  Plus, Apple intentionally locks you out of some basic functionality.  For instance, it drives my wife crazy that she can't just plug her iPhone or iPad into our PC and drag and drop music or videos without having to go through iTunes.  Something I constantly do on my Android phone.

If you are a big user of Google apps (Gmail, Google Calendar) you will find that they are integrated seamlessly into Android.  When you first boot an Android phone, just enter your Google login and password, and automagically all your Gmail, contacts, and calendar events just appear on the phone. 

On the other hand, if you have a lot invested in the iPhone ecosystem (particularly purchased  apps) it may not make sense to jump to Android.  First check to see if your favorite apps (or similar ones) are available on Android.  Even if there are Android versions, you will need to purchase them all over again.  And if you are comfortable with the Apple platform (iPhone and iPad) it might make sense to just stay there, unless you want to learn a new OS.  Android is not incredibly complicated, but its different from iOS in various ways.

Even if you decide to stick with the iPhone, I wouldn't even bother buying one right now.  Apple will almost certainly be releasing the new iPhone in September or October (maybe even earlier).  As the current iPhone 4S was just a minor improvement over the 4, the next iteration should bring some major overhauls.  No point in paying full price right now for something that will be obsolete in a few months.

The questions is impossible to answer with the information provided.   It depends on what you expect your phone to do, and your personal preferences.  Smartphones with larger screens can be pretty awesome, I'm finding out.  The small screen on the iPhone is starting to feel like a toy to me compared to my HTC One X (and the screen on the  Galaxy S3 is a touch bigger than that even).  But of course, it means a larger phone to tote around in your pocket or purse.  Android also has tons of customization options that the iPhone simply does not allow.  Plus, Apple intentionally locks you out of some basic functionality.  For instance, it drives my wife crazy that she can't just plug her iPhone or iPad into our PC and drag and drop music or videos without having to go through iTunes.  Something I constantly do on my Android phone.

If you are a big user of Google apps (Gmail, Google Calendar) you will find that they are integrated seamlessly into Android.  When you first boot an Android phone, just enter your Google login and password, and automagically all your Gmail, contacts, and calendar events just appear on the phone. 

On the other hand, if you have a lot invested in the iPhone ecosystem (particularly purchased  apps) it may not make sense to jump to Android.  First check to see if your favorite apps (or similar ones) are available on Android.  Even if there are Android versions, you will need to purchase them all over again.  And if you are comfortable with the Apple platform (iPhone and iPad) it might make sense to just stay there, unless you want to learn a new OS.  Android is not incredibly complicated, but its different from iOS in various ways.

Even if you decide to stick with the iPhone, I wouldn't even bother buying one right now.  Apple will almost certainly be releasing the new iPhone in September or October (maybe even earlier).  As the current iPhone 4S was just a minor improvement over the 4, the next iteration should bring some major overhauls.  No point in paying full price right now for something that will be obsolete in a few months.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (1,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 2:33:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Just an FYI, some paid apps will still allow the users to use them cross-platform.  There was an app that I had paid for in iOS (actually a series of apps from the same developer).  I sent them an email when I wanted to change to an Android phone.  They walked me through how to access everything that I had paid for in iOS on my Android phone.

I got the understanding that this type of thing probably couldn't happen with a lot of apps.  My point is to reach out to the app developer.  There may be things that can be done that aren't obvious if you have used the app on only one device in the past.

Just an FYI, some paid apps will still allow the users to use them cross-platform.  There was an app that I had paid for in iOS (actually a series of apps from the same developer).  I sent them an email when I wanted to change to an Android phone.  They walked me through how to access everything that I had paid for in iOS on my Android phone.

I got the understanding that this type of thing probably couldn't happen with a lot of apps.  My point is to reach out to the app developer.  There may be things that can be done that aren't obvious if you have used the app on only one device in the past.

4 of 6 (1,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2012 7:46:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

21stNow wrote:

Good to know, and thanks for mentioning it.  As you said, many app developers probably won't do this for you, but for the ones that do, that's good customer service and just good business.

21stNow wrote:

Good to know, and thanks for mentioning it.  As you said, many app developers probably won't do this for you, but for the ones that do, that's good customer service and just good business.

5 of 6 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2012 8:41:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I personally had the iphone 3g, 3gs and iphone 4. I've only had one android and that was back with the captivate first came out. it was glitchy and horrible and that is why I went back to an iphone. However, after having my iphone 4 replaced twice in less than a year I decided to see what else is out there. That's when I found info about the Samsung Galaxy S3. With all the new features and how fast it is I just had to switch. If you notice, Iphone has changed all that much, probably about 5 features a year. Not enough for me. It's just too "clicky" to have an iphone nowadays. I want to stick out. I want people to see my phone and be like "wow! that is awesome, what kind of phone is that" not "oh ya i have that phone too" but again this is all my personal opinion.

I personally had the iphone 3g, 3gs and iphone 4. I've only had one android and that was back with the captivate first came out. it was glitchy and horrible and that is why I went back to an iphone. However, after having my iphone 4 replaced twice in less than a year I decided to see what else is out there. That's when I found info about the Samsung Galaxy S3. With all the new features and how fast it is I just had to switch. If you notice, Iphone has changed all that much, probably about 5 features a year. Not enough for me. It's just too "clicky" to have an iphone nowadays. I want to stick out. I want people to see my phone and be like "wow! that is awesome, what kind of phone is that" not "oh ya i have that phone too" but again this is all my personal opinion.

6 of 6 (1,731 Views)