Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 17, 2011
7:00:07 AM
View profile
iPhone vs Android

I've used both phones, and they've both worked great as far as speed and functionality. However, I've noticed that being an iPhone user drags you into the Apple ecosystem which so far, I'm not a big fan of. For a device that was designed to be a music player, I would have hoped that getting my music files from one computer to another via my iPhone wouldn't be rocket science...but it is. 

Also, while both platforms offer 1000000000000000... apps... the only ones I want are Pandora, foursquare, facebook, and google maps. everything else is 100% garbage (in my opinion) and a waste of money. So when it comes down to it, the number of apps offered doesn't matter. 

I will say, android has really won me over with the Google Nav suite. (which replaced my GPS)... and the voice commands actually work. The iPhone doesnt seem to understand me at all. Also, with android, I have a choice of desktop software to use for syncing. iTunes is a NIGHTMARE. 

Thoughts? Opinions? 

Greetz! 

I've used both phones, and they've both worked great as far as speed and functionality. However, I've noticed that being an iPhone user drags you into the Apple ecosystem which so far, I'm not a big fan of. For a device that was designed to be a music player, I would have hoped that getting my music files from one computer to another via my iPhone wouldn't be rocket science...but it is. 

Also, while both platforms offer 1000000000000000... apps... the only ones I want are Pandora, foursquare, facebook, and google maps. everything else is 100% garbage (in my opinion) and a waste of money. So when it comes down to it, the number of apps offered doesn't matter. 

I will say, android has really won me over with the Google Nav suite. (which replaced my GPS)... and the voice commands actually work. The iPhone doesnt seem to understand me at all. Also, with android, I have a choice of desktop software to use for syncing. iTunes is a NIGHTMARE. 

Thoughts? Opinions? 

Greetz! 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

iPhone vs Android

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 7:28:37 AM
(0)
Professor

Different people have different needs.  No one device can meet the needs of everyone.

Different people have different needs.  No one device can meet the needs of everyone.

Re: iPhone vs Android

2 of 26 (1,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 7:40:54 AM
(0)
Master
Not really worth discussing in some ways. It is a personal preference as to what works for you. Nothing wrong with your choice. Watch out for those malware apps that Google keeps finding:-)

It s an interesting topic for your first post?????

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Not really worth discussing in some ways. It is a personal preference as to what works for you. Nothing wrong with your choice. Watch out for those malware apps that Google keeps finding:-)

It s an interesting topic for your first post?????

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 26 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 8:20:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Sounds to me that Android is the better way to go, from what you've stated. I personally like both, also, but Android has a slight edge over the iPhone that makes me happy to stay an Android user. They are both great platforms and can be a tough decision when it comes to deciding on one or the other.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Sounds to me that Android is the better way to go, from what you've stated. I personally like both, also, but Android has a slight edge over the iPhone that makes me happy to stay an Android user. They are both great platforms and can be a tough decision when it comes to deciding on one or the other.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 26 (1,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:58:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aBenjamin wrote:

Thoughts? Opinions? 

It sounds like you've decided on Android, and you're happy with that choice. Congrats. Did you want us to try and talk you out of it? :smileyhappy:

aBenjamin wrote:

Thoughts? Opinions? 

It sounds like you've decided on Android, and you're happy with that choice. Congrats. Did you want us to try and talk you out of it? :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 26 (1,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2011 12:55:09 PM
(0)
Guru

Is this even worth debating? You may be the only person I've ever heard describe iTunes syncing as "rocket science". What are you using on Android? It'd be nice if iTunes could sync wirelessly like doubleTwist, but no matter how you look at it there's likely to be a bit of ecosystem lock-in. I'm sure Android is going to work much more seamlessly with Google's cloud music service than with Amazon's or with iCloud.

The number of apps offered may not matter to YOU, but that's a matter of opinion. I happen to like the Money app that syncs with my desktop, the GroceryIQ app that allows me to build grocery lists and compare prices, and the transit apps I use in cities like DC, Baltimore & Atlanta. I also like using Shazam or SoundHound to identify songs I hear, and apps like Siri or Dragon that help me find things via voice when I'm driving or walking around an unfamiliar neighborhood. And the number of apps offered ABSOLUTELY does matter. Heard of WebOS? It out-Androided Android, except there was virtually zero developer support for it.

And I've never had a problem with my iPhone understanding me.

Is this even worth debating? You may be the only person I've ever heard describe iTunes syncing as "rocket science". What are you using on Android? It'd be nice if iTunes could sync wirelessly like doubleTwist, but no matter how you look at it there's likely to be a bit of ecosystem lock-in. I'm sure Android is going to work much more seamlessly with Google's cloud music service than with Amazon's or with iCloud.

The number of apps offered may not matter to YOU, but that's a matter of opinion. I happen to like the Money app that syncs with my desktop, the GroceryIQ app that allows me to build grocery lists and compare prices, and the transit apps I use in cities like DC, Baltimore & Atlanta. I also like using Shazam or SoundHound to identify songs I hear, and apps like Siri or Dragon that help me find things via voice when I'm driving or walking around an unfamiliar neighborhood. And the number of apps offered ABSOLUTELY does matter. Heard of WebOS? It out-Androided Android, except there was virtually zero developer support for it.

And I've never had a problem with my iPhone understanding me.

6 of 26 (1,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 9:16:02 AM
(0)
Employee

to each their own when it comes to phones.... just dont understand the hype when it comes to the iPhone.... it's a phone that always releases behind the curve, and has less features than competing devices. 

and again... its just a phone

to each their own when it comes to phones.... just dont understand the hype when it comes to the iPhone.... it's a phone that always releases behind the curve, and has less features than competing devices. 

and again... its just a phone

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 26 (1,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 10:10:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aBenjamin wrote:

to each their own when it comes to phones....

Yes, I think we've all come to that conclusion. I personally don't understand the Android hype. Google has enough of my data already :smileyhappy:

aBenjamin wrote:

to each their own when it comes to phones....

Yes, I think we've all come to that conclusion. I personally don't understand the Android hype. Google has enough of my data already :smileyhappy:

8 of 26 (1,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 12:16:03 PM
(0)
Employee
really i don't understand phone hype...

9 of 26 (1,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 7:29:03 PM
(0)
Master

aBenjamin wrote:

Pick the phone that works best for you!  Don't worry about the hype.  A better phone will be here in the next five minutes and five minutes after that a better one again!

aBenjamin wrote:

Pick the phone that works best for you!  Don't worry about the hype.  A better phone will be here in the next five minutes and five minutes after that a better one again!

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 26 (1,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 8:32:09 AM
(0)
Employee

...and yet we're still tied to a 2-year contract. 

11 of 26 (1,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 1:50:18 PM
(0)
Professor

Fashion vs. Function

Fashion vs. Function

12 of 26 (1,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 5:58:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

aBenjamin wrote:

Not me. I'm using a prepaid Android smartphone, no contract whatsoever. :smileyhappy:

I personally think that contracts are overrated. Some phones do not even last for the full length of the two-year contract. I have yet to have one that lasts past 7 1/2 months.

aBenjamin wrote:

Not me. I'm using a prepaid Android smartphone, no contract whatsoever. :smileyhappy:

I personally think that contracts are overrated. Some phones do not even last for the full length of the two-year contract. I have yet to have one that lasts past 7 1/2 months.

13 of 26 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 1:10:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not tied to a contract unless you get a subsidized phone.  You always have the option of paying full price for the phone (whether from AT&T or an outside source) and not signing a contract.  

Not tied to a contract unless you get a subsidized phone.  You always have the option of paying full price for the phone (whether from AT&T or an outside source) and not signing a contract.  

14 of 26 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 4:08:41 PM
(0)
Professor

IPhone or Android? Your choice is the best choice!!!

IPhone or Android? Your choice is the best choice!!!

15 of 26 (1,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 10:28:33 AM
(0)
Professor
A N D R O I D. You will be glad you did. No restricted customizations like that of the other device
A N D R O I D. You will be glad you did. No restricted customizations like that of the other device
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

16 of 26 (1,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 11:12:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:13:33 AM

RicoLX wrote:
Such as Adobe Flash Player support. While some can argue that it is "not good", I believe it is a convenience the iPhone should already have built-in.

RicoLX wrote:
Such as Adobe Flash Player support. While some can argue that it is "not good", I believe it is a convenience the iPhone should already have built-in.

[ Edited ]
17 of 26 (1,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 11:19:00 AM
(0)
Professor
WB, that was one of the drawbacks that made my decision. I was used to flash and playing videos from websites and the iphone politics blocked the basic feature. So I opted for a more customizable platform that had less restrictions. Otherwise im sure the iphone is good in other ways. But once ive experienced android. I was hooked.
WB, that was one of the drawbacks that made my decision. I was used to flash and playing videos from websites and the iphone politics blocked the basic feature. So I opted for a more customizable platform that had less restrictions. Otherwise im sure the iphone is good in other ways. But once ive experienced android. I was hooked.

18 of 26 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 11:29:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I know what'cha mean. I like the iPhone and all and wouldn't mind having one, but Android just feels more like "home" to me. I've gotten so used to it that it feels like it was designed especially with me in mind.

And we all know, there's no place like home. :smileywink:

I know what'cha mean. I like the iPhone and all and wouldn't mind having one, but Android just feels more like "home" to me. I've gotten so used to it that it feels like it was designed especially with me in mind.

And we all know, there's no place like home. :smileywink:

19 of 26 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 11:35:35 AM
(0)
Professor
"Aint NO place, buddy, you said it!"
"Aint NO place, buddy, you said it!"

20 of 26 (1,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 7:47:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Granted, flash is junk. But the fact is that you need it for a lot of websites. It is a neccessary evil.
Granted, flash is junk. But the fact is that you need it for a lot of websites. It is a neccessary evil.

21 of 26 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 5:26:38 AM
(0)
Professor
Right! Saiid Fred :smileyhappy:

But for the current availability for viewing web clips,vids. It is a deciding factor to purchasing a device that does or doesnt have video viewing capability
Right! Saiid Fred :smileyhappy:

But for the current availability for viewing web clips,vids. It is a deciding factor to purchasing a device that does or doesnt have video viewing capability

22 of 26 (1,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 1:17:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by PhoneForum_com on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:18:20 PM

I have to agree for the most part.  I actually prefer the iphone as a whole but Apple does pull you way, way in to the point that it is hard to change.  It's a good angle for business (obviously) but it can also create dissention.  I'm hoping iCloud will make thngs a bit more flexible.

Andriod is an excellent platform and the openess is nice.  Some manufacturers have created some really nice UI features on top (others have failed miserably) which is also cool.  I personally have major issues with Google as a company and my reliance on them in many aspects of my life....but that is another can of worms. :smileytongue:

I have to agree for the most part.  I actually prefer the iphone as a whole but Apple does pull you way, way in to the point that it is hard to change.  It's a good angle for business (obviously) but it can also create dissention.  I'm hoping iCloud will make thngs a bit more flexible.

Andriod is an excellent platform and the openess is nice.  Some manufacturers have created some really nice UI features on top (others have failed miserably) which is also cool.  I personally have major issues with Google as a company and my reliance on them in many aspects of my life....but that is another can of worms. :smileytongue:

[ Edited ]
23 of 26 (1,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 3:52:53 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 27, 2011 at 3:56:25 PM
Deleted by me.
Deleted by me.

[ Edited ]
24 of 26 (1,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 11:12:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android. I'll never go back to the iPhone. The android is more like a computer, where the iPhone is more like a locked box. I enjoy the flexibility Android has to offer. 

Just switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android. I'll never go back to the iPhone. The android is more like a computer, where the iPhone is more like a locked box. I enjoy the flexibility Android has to offer. 

25 of 26 (1,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 4:15:28 AM
(0)
Professor

WELCOME! to the fold...my bretheren! It is tiiime to TESTIFIIIIH! Now, raise yower hayands and say "Iiiih done UNBIT that apple!... Iiih Buhleeeeeve!"

Seriuosly, you are going to have new and exciting experiences with your new android! Wait till you begin to dig into customizations and realizing many things not possible on other devices. When you can , share some screenshots and app suggestions in the Android Community! CONGRAT5!

.original-2.jpeg

WELCOME! to the fold...my bretheren! It is tiiime to TESTIFIIIIH! Now, raise yower hayands and say "Iiiih done UNBIT that apple!... Iiih Buhleeeeeve!"

Seriuosly, you are going to have new and exciting experiences with your new android! Wait till you begin to dig into customizations and realizing many things not possible on other devices. When you can , share some screenshots and app suggestions in the Android Community! CONGRAT5!

.original-2.jpeg

26 of 26 (1,226 Views)