iPhone vs Android

Employee

iPhone vs Android

I've used both phones, and they've both worked great as far as speed and functionality. However, I've noticed that being an iPhone user drags you into the Apple ecosystem which so far, I'm not a big fan of. For a device that was designed to be a music player, I would have hoped that getting my music files from one computer to another via my iPhone wouldn't be rocket science...but it is. 

Also, while both platforms offer 1000000000000000... apps... the only ones I want are Pandora, foursquare, facebook, and google maps. everything else is 100% garbage (in my opinion) and a waste of money. So when it comes down to it, the number of apps offered doesn't matter. 

I will say, android has really won me over with the Google Nav suite. (which replaced my GPS)... and the voice commands actually work. The iPhone doesnt seem to understand me at all. Also, with android, I have a choice of desktop software to use for syncing. iTunes is a NIGHTMARE. 

Thoughts? Opinions? 

Greetz! 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 26 (2,063 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone vs Android

Different people have different needs.  No one device can meet the needs of everyone.

Message 2 of 26 (2,042 Views)
Master

Not really worth discussing in some ways. It is a personal preference as to what works for you. Nothing wrong with your choice. Watch out for those malware apps that Google keeps finding:-)

It s an interesting topic for your first post?????

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 26 (2,039 Views)
Master

Sounds to me that Android is the better way to go, from what you've stated. I personally like both, also, but Android has a slight edge over the iPhone that makes me happy to stay an Android user. They are both great platforms and can be a tough decision when it comes to deciding on one or the other.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 26 (2,029 Views)
ACE - Professor

aBenjamin wrote:

Thoughts? Opinions? 

It sounds like you've decided on Android, and you're happy with that choice. Congrats. Did you want us to try and talk you out of it? Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 26 (2,017 Views)

Is this even worth debating? You may be the only person I've ever heard describe iTunes syncing as "rocket science". What are you using on Android? It'd be nice if iTunes could sync wirelessly like doubleTwist, but no matter how you look at it there's likely to be a bit of ecosystem lock-in. I'm sure Android is going to work much more seamlessly with Google's cloud music service than with Amazon's or with iCloud.

The number of apps offered may not matter to YOU, but that's a matter of opinion. I happen to like the Money app that syncs with my desktop, the GroceryIQ app that allows me to build grocery lists and compare prices, and the transit apps I use in cities like DC, Baltimore & Atlanta. I also like using Shazam or SoundHound to identify songs I hear, and apps like Siri or Dragon that help me find things via voice when I'm driving or walking around an unfamiliar neighborhood. And the number of apps offered ABSOLUTELY does matter. Heard of WebOS? It out-Androided Android, except there was virtually zero developer support for it.

And I've never had a problem with my iPhone understanding me.

Message 6 of 26 (1,998 Views)
Employee

to each their own when it comes to phones.... just dont understand the hype when it comes to the iPhone.... it's a phone that always releases behind the curve, and has less features than competing devices. 

and again... its just a phone

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 26 (1,958 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

aBenjamin wrote:

to each their own when it comes to phones....

Yes, I think we've all come to that conclusion. I personally don't understand the Android hype. Google has enough of my data already Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 26 (1,954 Views)
Employee

really i don't understand phone hype...
Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 26 (1,950 Views)
Master

aBenjamin wrote:
really i don't understand phone hype...

Pick the phone that works best for you!  Don't worry about the hype.  A better phone will be here in the next five minutes and five minutes after that a better one again!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 10 of 26 (1,933 Views)
Employee

...and yet we're still tied to a 2-year contract. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 26 (1,712 Views)
Professor

Fashion vs. Function

Message 12 of 26 (1,704 Views)
Master

aBenjamin wrote:

...and yet we're still tied to a 2-year contract. 

Not me. I'm using a prepaid Android smartphone, no contract whatsoever. Smiley Happy

I personally think that contracts are overrated. Some phones do not even last for the full length of the two-year contract. I have yet to have one that lasts past 7 1/2 months.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 13 of 26 (1,675 Views)
Scholar

Not tied to a contract unless you get a subsidized phone.  You always have the option of paying full price for the phone (whether from AT&T or an outside source) and not signing a contract.  

Message 14 of 26 (1,670 Views)
Professor

IPhone or Android? Your choice is the best choice!!!

Message 15 of 26 (1,662 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.