Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 4, 2011
7:45:54 AM
View profile
iPhone upgrades on Family Plan

So I`m really confused about this. And maybe it has been answered here before but here it is again.

We are on a family plan with 2 iPhones 4 we got both of them on day 1. a 32GB and a 16GB we paid extra for 16GB since we were not eligibale so 32GB was $299 and 16GB was $399. Both activated the same day. Thats the back story.

Now here is the question. I`m checking eligibility for upgrade and it shows for the line that we bought 32GB on 11.22.2011 and for the line where we got the 16GB it shows 2.22.2011. Why ? The contracts for both lines show to end very close to each other. 32GB = 06/28/2012 and 16GB = 06/21/2012.

I dont understand this scheme at all. I was hoping to upgrade to new iPhone day 1 on both lines.... 

Thanks in advance for the responces. 

So I`m really confused about this. And maybe it has been answered here before but here it is again.

We are on a family plan with 2 iPhones 4 we got both of them on day 1. a 32GB and a 16GB we paid extra for 16GB since we were not eligibale so 32GB was $299 and 16GB was $399. Both activated the same day. Thats the back story.

Now here is the question. I`m checking eligibility for upgrade and it shows for the line that we bought 32GB on 11.22.2011 and for the line where we got the 16GB it shows 2.22.2011. Why ? The contracts for both lines show to end very close to each other. 32GB = 06/28/2012 and 16GB = 06/21/2012.

I dont understand this scheme at all. I was hoping to upgrade to new iPhone day 1 on both lines.... 

Thanks in advance for the responces. 

iPhone upgrades on Family Plan

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 12:28:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

SO no answer ? Now when I login I keep getting prompted that I might have an upgrade but it still shows me the same dates.... and $449 for the 16GB ? Now the price is $50 more ? What gives ? Come on ATT if I have to pay $500 over I rather switch to Verizon I guess, pay the termination fee and it`ll be cheaper.... 

SO no answer ? Now when I login I keep getting prompted that I might have an upgrade but it still shows me the same dates.... and $449 for the 16GB ? Now the price is $50 more ? What gives ? Come on ATT if I have to pay $500 over I rather switch to Verizon I guess, pay the termination fee and it`ll be cheaper.... 

Re: iPhone upgrades on Family Plan

2 of 24 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 12:37:44 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi yozhbk, 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Your contract start date isn't the only thing that impacts your upgrade date so there may be other factors at play. 

I would be happy to have someone contact you to review your account if you'd like. If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with your name, account info, phone number and the best time to contact you.

Thank you

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi yozhbk, 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Your contract start date isn't the only thing that impacts your upgrade date so there may be other factors at play. 

I would be happy to have someone contact you to review your account if you'd like. If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with your name, account info, phone number and the best time to contact you.

Thank you

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 24 (1,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:11:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the reply. I sent all the info over. Im thinking ATT is working on early upgrades, is that why everytime I login to my account is says:

The number associated with your wireless account may be eligible for an upgrade.

Would You Like to Check Your Upgrade Eligibility?

Thanks for the reply. I sent all the info over. Im thinking ATT is working on early upgrades, is that why everytime I login to my account is says:

The number associated with your wireless account may be eligible for an upgrade.

Would You Like to Check Your Upgrade Eligibility?

4 of 24 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:18:08 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Got your PM but I need just a bit more info. Will you please take a look at my response?

--------------

Got your PM but I need just a bit more info. Will you please take a look at my response?

--------------

5 of 24 (1,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:52:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah sorry I tought I clicked send, but just got back to that page and I didnt. You should see it in your inbox now.

Yeah sorry I tought I clicked send, but just got back to that page and I didnt. You should see it in your inbox now.

6 of 24 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:57:53 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Got it, thanks! :smileyhappy:

--------------

Got it, thanks! :smileyhappy:

--------------

7 of 24 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 9:13:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just found out i'm in the same boat.

I bought my iPhone and my wife's on day 1. She is eligible for an upgrade and I have to wait until February.

Why is this happening like this?

I bought my iPhone and my wife's on day 1. She is eligible for an upgrade and I have to wait until February.

8 of 24 (1,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 9:19:03 AM
(0)
Expert

Kembond wrote:

If she is the primary number on the account it always gets the upgrade sooner becasue the majority of the bill is applied to that line, the only thing that is applied to a secondary line is the cost of the line and a data plan if required

Kembond wrote:

If she is the primary number on the account it always gets the upgrade sooner becasue the majority of the bill is applied to that line, the only thing that is applied to a secondary line is the cost of the line and a data plan if required

9 of 24 (1,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 9:19:14 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

There is a difference in eligibility because of the family plan. Your phone is billed differently than your wife's and that is one of the many things that contributes to eligibility date calculation.

--------------

There is a difference in eligibility because of the family plan. Your phone is billed differently than your wife's and that is one of the many things that contributes to eligibility date calculation.

--------------

10 of 24 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 9:49:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by yozhbk on Oct 5, 2011 at 9:51:43 AM

Well atleast one phone is eligible which is still not right, but atlest its something. Both of my lines are not eligible and only one is in Nov 22.

I dont think its fair to customers to have this flactuation upgrade paterns, you never know when you can upgrade. I know money wise it is cheaper for us to pay the ETF and jump the ship.... I really would hate for this to be the option we take.... 

Well atleast one phone is eligible which is still not right, but atlest its something. Both of my lines are not eligible and only one is in Nov 22.

I dont think its fair to customers to have this flactuation upgrade paterns, you never know when you can upgrade. I know money wise it is cheaper for us to pay the ETF and jump the ship.... I really would hate for this to be the option we take.... 

[ Edited ]
11 of 24 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 10:07:13 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I understand your frustration with upgrade eligibility and hope you decided to stay with AT&T. 

--------------

I understand your frustration with upgrade eligibility and hope you decided to stay with AT&T. 

--------------

12 of 24 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 10:10:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah thanks for the help @jamileh but its not my decision its AT&Ts to do right by loyal customers. 

Yeah thanks for the help @jamileh but its not my decision its AT&Ts to do right by loyal customers. 

13 of 24 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 10:17:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Perfect just got a call from ATT to tell me exactly what I already knew, wasted my time and basically telling me that I should leave because it is cheaper to pay ETF then to pay for "discount pricing". And apparently she was a manager. I guess ATT will be getting a huge in customers leaving since it is cheaper :smileysad:
Perfect just got a call from ATT to tell me exactly what I already knew, wasted my time and basically telling me that I should leave because it is cheaper to pay ETF then to pay for "discount pricing". And apparently she was a manager. I guess ATT will be getting a huge in customers leaving since it is cheaper :smileysad:

14 of 24 (1,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:07:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Our family plan has the same exact problem! we have been customers with AT&T for 12 years now! never late on any of our bills and in the past it has always been about 12mo-16mo we have been able to upgrade our phones all four of them! but now we have the main line with a iphone 4 that can upgrade on the 13th, mine which has an iphone 4 on launch date can update  in feb 2012 and another one that we got the iphone 4 in like january can upgrade in november 2011!  makes no sense at all.  I would hope for long term customers there would be some type of consistent policy but you can't get a consistent answer from at&t.  The stores are more of a mess than calling 611. Ugh.  The sad truth is though you get the same pathetic customer service with any of the providers.

Our family plan has the same exact problem! we have been customers with AT&T for 12 years now! never late on any of our bills and in the past it has always been about 12mo-16mo we have been able to upgrade our phones all four of them! but now we have the main line with a iphone 4 that can upgrade on the 13th, mine which has an iphone 4 on launch date can update  in feb 2012 and another one that we got the iphone 4 in like january can upgrade in november 2011!  makes no sense at all.  I would hope for long term customers there would be some type of consistent policy but you can't get a consistent answer from at&t.  The stores are more of a mess than calling 611. Ugh.  The sad truth is though you get the same pathetic customer service with any of the providers.

15 of 24 (1,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:08:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah looks like ATT doesnt care this time around... Oh well lets see how sprint is...
Yeah looks like ATT doesnt care this time around... Oh well lets see how sprint is...

16 of 24 (1,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:46:20 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

eyeless wrote:

Hi eyeless, 

If you'd like, I'd be happy to have someone contact you directly to review your account and explain the eligibility of each of the lines on your account. 

If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with your name, account info, phone number and the best time to contact you.

--------------

eyeless wrote:

Hi eyeless, 

If you'd like, I'd be happy to have someone contact you directly to review your account and explain the eligibility of each of the lines on your account. 

If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with your name, account info, phone number and the best time to contact you.

--------------

17 of 24 (1,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:48:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
@eyeless they will just explain what you already saw, and tell you there is nothing they can do with the iPhone....
@eyeless they will just explain what you already saw, and tell you there is nothing they can do with the iPhone....

18 of 24 (1,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 2:04:14 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

yozhbk wrote:

yozhbk - I understand you're not happy with the outcome of the conversation you had and I know you're frustrated with the situation. I'm sorry we weren't able to adjust your eligibility date to get your new phone sooner. 

--------------

yozhbk wrote:

yozhbk - I understand you're not happy with the outcome of the conversation you had and I know you're frustrated with the situation. I'm sorry we weren't able to adjust your eligibility date to get your new phone sooner. 

--------------

19 of 24 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 2:12:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

jamileh wrote:

yozhbk wrote:

Not just adjust, you insisted on calling me, while I sat here and waited for the call, with out going to lunch, then when she called about 3 hours after the email was sent, she told me exactly same thing that I said in the first post, what was the point of the call ? What was the point of getting me worked up and then telling me basically you can leave our company we dont care ?

jamileh wrote:

yozhbk wrote:

Not just adjust, you insisted on calling me, while I sat here and waited for the call, with out going to lunch, then when she called about 3 hours after the email was sent, she told me exactly same thing that I said in the first post, what was the point of the call ? What was the point of getting me worked up and then telling me basically you can leave our company we dont care ?

20 of 24 (1,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 2:13:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
So now you are telling people to call for the same thing ? Why doesnt ATT come out with an official statement on this ?
So now you are telling people to call for the same thing ? Why doesnt ATT come out with an official statement on this ?

21 of 24 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 2:38:00 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I am happy to help people review their accounts to ensure eligibility is being calculated by the guidelines that apply to everyone. If there is an error, we will work to correct it. 

--------------

I am happy to help people review their accounts to ensure eligibility is being calculated by the guidelines that apply to everyone. If there is an error, we will work to correct it. 

--------------

22 of 24 (1,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 3:26:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

why call? last time we called they told us to *639# each line... big help that is and then did like a 12 minute survey on how they helped us. Bleh. I would just like some consistency thats all, especially from their customer service... but they are being consitent on saying NO hahahaha.

why call? last time we called they told us to *639# each line... big help that is and then did like a 12 minute survey on how they helped us. Bleh. I would just like some consistency thats all, especially from their customer service... but they are being consitent on saying NO hahahaha.

23 of 24 (1,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 6:04:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yep absolutely agree with you !!!!!!
Yep absolutely agree with you !!!!!!

24 of 24 (1,157 Views)