iPhone to Samsung Android (Keep current plan specifics)

Contributor

iPhone to Samsung Android (Keep current plan specifics)

Currently have iPhone 3G with Individual 450 minute, 200 Text Message, Unlimited data plan, no contract.

Looking to purchase a phone on Ebay (Samsung infuse) and simply transfer my SIM card to it - everything else remaining the same.

Is this possible? Do I need to notify AT&T for anything - such as no longer on the "iPhone Data Plan"? Any situations where I bought a phone and it couldn't be used by me because the phone was one still under a contract of the seller?

Message 1 of 5 (1,551 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 3G SIM card same as Infuse?

Any AT&T 4G phone won't work with 3G data plans. But all you have to do is call AT&T to transfer your data plan into a 4G plan while keep your unlimited data. So, yes, you have to either call AT&T or create your own 3G APN to use your Infuse as 3G phone.

Message 2 of 5 (1,524 Views)
Contributor

Thanks

Restating (for my simple understanding) if I got this right...

1) Buy used Samsung Infuse

2) Transfer iPhone 3G Mini SIM directly into Samsung Infuse

3) Call AT&T to transfer current unlimited 3G plan to unlimited 4G plan, also keeping 200 text message service (which doesn't seem to be offered anymore either)

4) Infuse now replaces the iPhone 3G on [essentially] all the same monthly service and billing as currently

Message 3 of 5 (1,513 Views)

[ Edited ]

This answer is so wrong, I don't know where to begin. There is no such thing as a 4G smartphone data plan on AT&T. For smartphones, there's the retired unlimited data plan, as well as the three currently available tiered plans - $15, $25 & $45 (tethering). As long as you are moving from smartphone to smartphone, you SHOULD be able to keep your original data plan.

foxbat121 wrote:

Any AT&T 4G phone won't work with 3G data plans. But all you have to do is call AT&T to transfer your data plan into a 4G plan while keep your unlimited data. So, yes, you have to either call AT&T or create your own 3G APN to use your Infuse as 3G phone.

Message 4 of 5 (1,495 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Yes, you have the order in the correct steps. However, I just wanted to correct you on the term that the iPhone 3G does not use a "mini SIM" - only the iPhone 4 uses a MicroSIM.

Make sure that during the transition, everything goes through smoothly. You are in a sticky situation because you have two grandfathered plans - your Unlimited Data plan and the 200 text messaging plan. Make sure you do not lose these in the switch, especially the Unlimited Data. Once they are gone, they cannot be retained if something happens along the way. The 200 messaging plan was also eliminated by AT&T earlier this year, in case you were wondering what may have happened to it.

Good luck, and enjoy your new phone. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 5 (1,481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.