iPhone tethering

Scholar

iPhone tethering

Has anyone tried doing tethering on their 3Gs yet? It is available on both 3Gs and 4, so I was just wondering if anyone did it, and how they set it up. I would try, but I'm not getting off my $30 unlimited plan and I really do need it. I just interested in how it works.

The only information that I know is to Click Settings>General>Network>Toggle Internet Tethering to On, and that's it. Does it work like internet sharing on an HTC Tilt, or do I have to set up a DUN, or even use ACM? I hope ACM is not required at all but any help would be great thank you.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 6 (11,066 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone tethering

You can connect with either Bluetooth or USB to your computer.  You can not tether over wifi.  Also you have to have one of the new datapro plans.  Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited plan.

Message 2 of 6 (11,023 Views)
Scholar

I do know the requirements of tethering, just interested if anyone has tried it yet.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6 (10,982 Views)
Scholar

I just want to be sure I'm understand this properly.  I have the iPhone 4 and unlimited data plan.  So I can plug my iPhone 4 into a laptop via USB, surf the net, and not be charged any additional fees?

Message 4 of 6 (6,817 Views)
ACE - Master

No.

To "legally" use tethering, you have to switch to teh Data Pro plan, and pay AT&T an extra $20/month.  Also keep in mind that the Data Pro plan get 2GB data for $25/month with additional data costing $10 for each extra GB or portion thereof.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (6,811 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Okay.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 6 (6,802 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.