Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2010
6:20:38 PM
View profile
iPhone tethering drops/must reboot to connect

I have some real problems with how my tethering works. I have an iPhone 3GS on OS 4.1. My computer is a Dell running XP SP3. Generally, my service is Edge and not 3G. I can tether but I have two issues. If I call or receive a call I lose my tethered connection. When this happens I always have to reboot my computer to re-establish the connection. I can get around this particular issue by forwarding my calls to my wife's phone, but it is definitely not the best solution. Also, if I lose my connection while tethering I have to reboot. This is a real problem due to the amount of time this wastes. I would not complain so much about just losing the connection occasionally, but having to reboot every time is a real issue. My cell service here is pretty bad, and there is not DSL or cable modem available. Is there a solution for this? I am paying for this, so I want it to work correctly. Is there some setting that I am missing on my computer or phone that would help?

I have some real problems with how my tethering works. I have an iPhone 3GS on OS 4.1. My computer is a Dell running XP SP3. Generally, my service is Edge and not 3G. I can tether but I have two issues. If I call or receive a call I lose my tethered connection. When this happens I always have to reboot my computer to re-establish the connection. I can get around this particular issue by forwarding my calls to my wife's phone, but it is definitely not the best solution. Also, if I lose my connection while tethering I have to reboot. This is a real problem due to the amount of time this wastes. I would not complain so much about just losing the connection occasionally, but having to reboot every time is a real issue. My cell service here is pretty bad, and there is not DSL or cable modem available. Is there a solution for this? I am paying for this, so I want it to work correctly. Is there some setting that I am missing on my computer or phone that would help?

iPhone tethering drops/must reboot to connect

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 11:17:34 PM
(0)
Guru

I'm not familiar enough with tethering to offer anything useful on the second issue (needing to reboot if connection lost), although I would think there should be a less drastic solution.  Shut down and restart the connection software?

For the first issue, there is no real solution.  It's simply the way Edge works.  It does not allow simultaneous voice and data.  The only solutions would be to be in a 3G area (obviously, not necessarily practical) or not to receive calls.  Forwarding calls elsewhere, as you mentioned, is probably the best way to ensure this.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I'm not familiar enough with tethering to offer anything useful on the second issue (needing to reboot if connection lost), although I would think there should be a less drastic solution.  Shut down and restart the connection software?

For the first issue, there is no real solution.  It's simply the way Edge works.  It does not allow simultaneous voice and data.  The only solutions would be to be in a 3G area (obviously, not necessarily practical) or not to receive calls.  Forwarding calls elsewhere, as you mentioned, is probably the best way to ensure this.

Re: iPhone tethering drops/must reboot to connect

2 of 4 (1,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 4:37:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
That makes since because I know that I could make calls when I was on 3G. I just hope someone has an answer for thecrebooting issue. I think it is an XP issue. Heck, I have to reboot to see peripherals like printers at times. Windows!!
That makes since because I know that I could make calls when I was on 3G. I just hope someone has an answer for thecrebooting issue. I think it is an XP issue. Heck, I have to reboot to see peripherals like printers at times. Windows!!

3 of 4 (1,046 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 6:38:05 AM
(0)
Expert

gerndog wrote:

Is XP fully patched through SP3 and all the addiotnal patches?

Try it on a supported OS and see if the issue resolves, XP is at EOL and no longer supported for anything but a few security patches, not to mention there have been no mew drivers for about a year now

gerndog wrote:

Is XP fully patched through SP3 and all the addiotnal patches?

Try it on a supported OS and see if the issue resolves, XP is at EOL and no longer supported for anything but a few security patches, not to mention there have been no mew drivers for about a year now

4 of 4 (1,029 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments