Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 23, 2011
7:21:34 AM
View profile
iPhone on WiFi still using data?

Now hopefully if you didn't know by now this is good information, when the screen turns off wifi shuts off so you're never "always" on wifi.

Now I've seen a few rumours about iOS 4.2.1 on here that wifi stays on now while the phone sleep. However I just spoke with Apple and this is not true.

So pretty much if you're wondering where this data usage is coming from it's because wifi turns itself off (to save battery) while the phone sleeps.

Also becuase it's asked a lot, data usage at 2-5am (approx) is the data you've used since the last report was generated. The phones send this information in one chunk when the phone is powered off/on and if you don't normally do that it sends it while the phone is idle in the middle of the night. 

So a few tricks would be to keep wifi always on at home, to change the settings so the phone doesn't sleep (screen turn off) or to disable cellular data for the time being. Now if you disable cellular data you will not get any notifications for anything that requires data while the phone is sleeping

Now hopefully if you didn't know by now this is good information, when the screen turns off wifi shuts off so you're never "always" on wifi.

Now I've seen a few rumours about iOS 4.2.1 on here that wifi stays on now while the phone sleep. However I just spoke with Apple and this is not true.

So pretty much if you're wondering where this data usage is coming from it's because wifi turns itself off (to save battery) while the phone sleeps.

Also becuase it's asked a lot, data usage at 2-5am (approx) is the data you've used since the last report was generated. The phones send this information in one chunk when the phone is powered off/on and if you don't normally do that it sends it while the phone is idle in the middle of the night. 

So a few tricks would be to keep wifi always on at home, to change the settings so the phone doesn't sleep (screen turn off) or to disable cellular data for the time being. Now if you disable cellular data you will not get any notifications for anything that requires data while the phone is sleeping

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

iPhone on WiFi still using data?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 7:32:40 AM
(0)
Former Employee

JFizDaWiz wrote:

I am pretty sure this is not quite true. The phone does not "send this information in one chunk when the phone is powered off/on". Data is only sent/received when there is some app on the phone that is actively sending/receiving data. The phone does not generate reports of data usage and send them in the middle of the night. Though it is true that data usage you see on OLAM may very well be a compilation of multiple data transfers, that compilation is done on OLAM, not by some report sent from the iphone.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

I am pretty sure this is not quite true. The phone does not "send this information in one chunk when the phone is powered off/on". Data is only sent/received when there is some app on the phone that is actively sending/receiving data. The phone does not generate reports of data usage and send them in the middle of the night. Though it is true that data usage you see on OLAM may very well be a compilation of multiple data transfers, that compilation is done on OLAM, not by some report sent from the iphone.

Re: iPhone on WiFi still using data?

2 of 13 (10,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 8:17:30 AM
(0)
Employee

Unless my Tech Managers are wrong then...

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 13 (10,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 9:58:18 AM
(0)
Former Employee

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Well, I'll give you a couple reasons why I'm pretty sure that the iphone does not generate reports on data usage and transmit them during the night. If that were the case, someone would have figured out how to hack the iphone and have it report less data usage than actual. Also, if that were the case you would expect the iphone's data usage to exactly match what's on your bill. When I've compared my bill to what the phone says, though they are very close, they never match.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Well, I'll give you a couple reasons why I'm pretty sure that the iphone does not generate reports on data usage and transmit them during the night. If that were the case, someone would have figured out how to hack the iphone and have it report less data usage than actual. Also, if that were the case you would expect the iphone's data usage to exactly match what's on your bill. When I've compared my bill to what the phone says, though they are very close, they never match.

4 of 13 (10,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 10:42:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

When is the iPhone actually considered 'sleeping'? I just looked at my phone and the Wifi is showing active and I didn't 'wake' it up. I just hit the Home button to turn the screen on, but didn't slide to unlock.

When is the iPhone actually considered 'sleeping'? I just looked at my phone and the Wifi is showing active and I didn't 'wake' it up. I just hit the Home button to turn the screen on, but didn't slide to unlock.

5 of 13 (9,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 11:47:37 AM
(0)
Guru

Junior Player, you should read some of the threads about "phantom data" here.  Many have reported huge data usage at odd hours, when the phone and its user are sleeping.  I had this happen one time and called AT&T and the CR had no idea why my phone used 23mb of data when I had been using wifi exclusively.  He called Apple and that guy also had no idea, but had heard of the problem.  The Apple guy went through all the settings on my phone and there was nothing that should have caused it.  No push notifications, no email, no open apps, nothing. 

The "phantom data" problem is not limited to iPhones.  I have read about this happening with other phones, with other carriers.

Junior Player, you should read some of the threads about "phantom data" here.  Many have reported huge data usage at odd hours, when the phone and its user are sleeping.  I had this happen one time and called AT&T and the CR had no idea why my phone used 23mb of data when I had been using wifi exclusively.  He called Apple and that guy also had no idea, but had heard of the problem.  The Apple guy went through all the settings on my phone and there was nothing that should have caused it.  No push notifications, no email, no open apps, nothing. 

The "phantom data" problem is not limited to iPhones.  I have read about this happening with other phones, with other carriers.

6 of 13 (9,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 11:51:50 AM
(0)
Guru

trlyka, when I hit the home button my phone shows 3G, not the wifi symbol.  When I slide to unlock, it takes a second or less to change from the 3G to wifi.  It takes two seconds to change from 3G to wifi when I do not slide to unlock.  Does your phone always show wifi is active?

trlyka, when I hit the home button my phone shows 3G, not the wifi symbol.  When I slide to unlock, it takes a second or less to change from the 3G to wifi.  It takes two seconds to change from 3G to wifi when I do not slide to unlock.  Does your phone always show wifi is active?

7 of 13 (9,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 1:05:00 PM
(0)
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Yes and No.  The iPhone will maintain the WiFi connection when sleeping if the connection is actively in use.  Once the connection is no longer needed (i.e. the app finishes whatever it is doing) the WiFi connection will terminate.  WiFi connections are not initiated when the device is sleeping.

If the iPhone is connected to external power, it will leave WiFi on all the time, even if it is sleeping.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Again, yes and no.

You are accurated that the data usage is simply a compilation of all data since the last billing period.  Although, some data can be delayed up to 72hrs (or longer) being reported to your account.

No phone sends a report to AT&T or any cellular provider regarding the data used.  The network already knows this information.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Why would you not want to leave WiFi on all the time?  WiFi is almost always faster than 3G when it is available.

Leaving the device on and never allowing it to go to sleep is just crazy.  Not only is it likely to burn an image into the screen, but it will KILL your batter in almost no time.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Yes and No.  The iPhone will maintain the WiFi connection when sleeping if the connection is actively in use.  Once the connection is no longer needed (i.e. the app finishes whatever it is doing) the WiFi connection will terminate.  WiFi connections are not initiated when the device is sleeping.

If the iPhone is connected to external power, it will leave WiFi on all the time, even if it is sleeping.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Again, yes and no.

You are accurated that the data usage is simply a compilation of all data since the last billing period.  Although, some data can be delayed up to 72hrs (or longer) being reported to your account.

No phone sends a report to AT&T or any cellular provider regarding the data used.  The network already knows this information.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Why would you not want to leave WiFi on all the time?  WiFi is almost always faster than 3G when it is available.

Leaving the device on and never allowing it to go to sleep is just crazy.  Not only is it likely to burn an image into the screen, but it will KILL your batter in almost no time.

8 of 13 (9,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 2:34:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

ormom51 wrote:

Yes, when I hit the home button and just look at my screen, I see the Wifi symbol. And if I unlock the phone, this doesn't change unless I am not within range of the Wifi.

ormom51 wrote:

Yes, when I hit the home button and just look at my screen, I see the Wifi symbol. And if I unlock the phone, this doesn't change unless I am not within range of the Wifi.

9 of 13 (9,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 5:20:33 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:24:13 PM

ormom51 wrote:

Data with any phone does not show in the system at the times it is used and several sessions can be lumped together. You can us 10mb of data between 7:00-7:30 pm, 10mb between 8:00-8:30 pm, 10mb between 9:00-9:30 pm and it might show up in the system at 2:00 am as a 30mb block. Some people might see this as their phone using 30mb of data during the night when they were asleep, but that is not the case. I'm not saying that it's not entirely impossible that there is some kind of "phantom usage", but it is highly unlikely. If there is some sort of high "phantom usage", there is likely an app tied to it. As has been noted, when wifi sleeps, any apps that are running in the back ground will continue to run and eat up cellular data.

ormom51 wrote:

Data with any phone does not show in the system at the times it is used and several sessions can be lumped together. You can us 10mb of data between 7:00-7:30 pm, 10mb between 8:00-8:30 pm, 10mb between 9:00-9:30 pm and it might show up in the system at 2:00 am as a 30mb block. Some people might see this as their phone using 30mb of data during the night when they were asleep, but that is not the case. I'm not saying that it's not entirely impossible that there is some kind of "phantom usage", but it is highly unlikely. If there is some sort of high "phantom usage", there is likely an app tied to it. As has been noted, when wifi sleeps, any apps that are running in the back ground will continue to run and eat up cellular data.

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (9,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 6:04:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

trlyka wrote:

ormom51 wrote:

I was at work when I thought I saw the consistent Wifi symbol. Now that I'm home, I do see the 3G for a second or 2 before the phone goes back to Wifi. Maybe it was like that at work too, but I just didn't see it in time.

trlyka wrote:

ormom51 wrote:

I was at work when I thought I saw the consistent Wifi symbol. Now that I'm home, I do see the 3G for a second or 2 before the phone goes back to Wifi. Maybe it was like that at work too, but I just didn't see it in time.

11 of 13 (8,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 6:58:56 AM
(0)
Guru

satchev wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Again, yes and no.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Granted I admit I'm not well-versed as far as the iPhone's screen/display hardware is concerned, but I'd be interested to find out as to what kind of screen is being used in the iPhone such that it would be possible for image burn-in to occur.  I'm getting off-topic here, but one of the advantages of an LCD display vs. plasma was that LCD screens were less-susceptible--if not entirely--to image burn-in (note--I'm not referring to image retention, as that is different from image burn-in)...so for Apple to be using a type of display on an iPhone where burn-in is theoretically possible is somewhat odd, if not interesting, IMHO...

satchev wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Again, yes and no.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Granted I admit I'm not well-versed as far as the iPhone's screen/display hardware is concerned, but I'd be interested to find out as to what kind of screen is being used in the iPhone such that it would be possible for image burn-in to occur.  I'm getting off-topic here, but one of the advantages of an LCD display vs. plasma was that LCD screens were less-susceptible--if not entirely--to image burn-in (note--I'm not referring to image retention, as that is different from image burn-in)...so for Apple to be using a type of display on an iPhone where burn-in is theoretically possible is somewhat odd, if not interesting, IMHO...

12 of 13 (8,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 10:28:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

If the iPhone4 is plugged in to a power source (charging or fully charged) Wifi stays on. If not, wifi powers off after 15 minutes (or so) to conserve battery.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

If the iPhone4 is plugged in to a power source (charging or fully charged) Wifi stays on. If not, wifi powers off after 15 minutes (or so) to conserve battery.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 13 (8,248 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments