Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 5, 2009
4:03:52 PM
View profile
iPhone number lookup or SMS access via name

Help, I lost contact with someone that I used to talk to in another company.  She has a personal iPhone but I don't have the number, I only had her business contact.  I do not have an AT&T Wireless account myself.  I have the following questions:

1. Can an AT&T Wireless customer lookup up another customer's phone number?  

2. For SMS access, obviously I could just use her phone number, but of course since I don't have her phone number then that won't work.      

a. So do AT&T wireless (or at least iPhone) customers typically have an alternative "personal" SMS access mechanism via email, e.g., Sally.Jones@att_domain?  

b. What is the exact form of "att_domain", i.e., is it att-wireless, att_wireless, or what?

Thanks much for your help.  

Chesscrab 

Help, I lost contact with someone that I used to talk to in another company.  She has a personal iPhone but I don't have the number, I only had her business contact.  I do not have an AT&T Wireless account myself.  I have the following questions:

2. For SMS access, obviously I could just use her phone number, but of course since I don't have her phone number then that won't work.      

a. So do AT&T wireless (or at least iPhone) customers typically have an alternative "personal" SMS access mechanism via email, e.g., Sally.Jones@att_domain?  

b. What is the exact form of "att_domain", i.e., is it att-wireless, att_wireless, or what?

Chesscrab 

iPhone number lookup or SMS access via name

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2009 4:11:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab

Try that number and ask her for the number to her iPhone.

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab 

1 No
2a Not that I know of
2b att dot com and att dot net are domains

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab 

1 No
2a Not that I know of
2b att dot com and att dot net are domains

Re: iPhone number lookup or SMS access via name

2 of 3 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2009 2:08:22 PM
(0)
Master

ADSisson wrote:

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab

I have to agree.  Call her business number and ask as they will be the most efficient way. 

There is no way to look up her number and the personal SMS address will not work unless they went into the system and set it up (normally to block spam) and most people don't know how to.  Plus the name could be anything she wanted and does not even have to be hwe name.  You would have more luck trying Facebook or Myspace than you would sending random name variations for messages to peoples phones.

ADSisson wrote:

Chesscrab wrote:

Chesscrab

I have to agree.  Call her business number and ask as they will be the most efficient way. 

There is no way to look up her number and the personal SMS address will not work unless they went into the system and set it up (normally to block spam) and most people don't know how to.  Plus the name could be anything she wanted and does not even have to be hwe name.  You would have more luck trying Facebook or Myspace than you would sending random name variations for messages to peoples phones.

Re: iPhone number lookup or SMS access via name

3 of 3 (2,121 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments