iPhone isn't ringing, but i get the voicemail notice!

Teacher

iPhone isn't ringing, but i get the voicemail notice!

[ Edited ]

This past week or so, I've gotten several "you got a voicemail" alerts from my iPhone, and the phone never rang!

I sit 10 feet away from my microcell and have perfect coverage.

I've rebooted it a couple times already in the past week, and it just happened to me again!

Message 1 of 14 (5,711 Views)
Contributor

Re: iPhone isn't ringing, but i get the voicemail notice!

I've been having this issue, too. I called AT&T earlier today and opened a ticket. During the tests with AT&T on one line, about 80-90% of the incoming calls went straight to voicemail. Even calling between two iPhones resulted in the same situation. The AT&T rep got voicemail several times, another phone on T-Mobile went straight to voicemail, and my VOIP landline did it consistently. Resetting network settings on the iPhone nor resetting the Microcell helped (nor holding the iPhone "differently"). I'm on a 30M/7M cable connection so speed isn't the issue, and have an external GPS antenna hooked up.

I'm waiting for a response from the techs to see if they have any resolution. If not, I'm screwed for switching to AT&T for the iPhone 4.

//Tomi B.

Message 2 of 14 (5,670 Views)
Teacher

This happens to me on Edge network all the time but shouldn't happen on 3G. When on Edge, if using data like safari or if the iPhone checks email in the background, it will cause calls to go unanswered and to voicemail. Edge can't use data and voice simultaneously but 3G can. I have a friend that had this issue with a jail broken phone on 3g and had to reset carrier setting to get it to work.
Message 3 of 14 (5,624 Views)
Mentor

I don't think this is a microcell issue.

Last week, for 2 days in a row, when my coworkers called me to go to lunch the call went straight to my voicemail.

This happenned at work on edge; maybe 3g but most likely edge because the 3g signal there is usually lousy.

Message 4 of 14 (5,583 Views)

I had this issue last night, my regular phone (not iPhone) would not ring when called.

Today it's working OK.  So it may have been a glitch yesterday.  

Message 5 of 14 (5,553 Views)
Tutor

Same thing happened to me a few days ago when I used the Amazon support line. You click a button and they call you and then connect to a tech person. Well, the site said the call was going thru and it was connected, but my iPhone never rang. This happened twice, and then the third time the call came thru. Later I got the notice that there were messages.

My assumption is that I was on the M-cell, but ATT's system didn't see me there, and since I wasn't on their towers thought I had my phone turned off...because the call went instantly to voicemail. If they thought I was on the phone it would have 'rung' for a few times before going to vm.

Between that and the dropped calls going out on the M-cell this isn't exactly working out as I imagined when I first saw all those 'bars' with max signal strength.

Message 6 of 14 (5,513 Views)
Teacher

Allright. it seemed to be working for a week, but IT JUST DID IT TO ME AGAIN

this is a big issue for me since i work for the Office of Emergency Services and i RELY on my cell phone ringing when there is an emergency callout.

what makes me even more mad right now is that AT&T is sending letters giving the microcell away for FREE to people!

i paid $150 a couple months ago for this thing, now they are giving it away for FREE??????????????

where is my $150 CREDIT for it???

now that this hunk of junk isn't even allowing me to receive phone calls, it's completely usesless and i've lost $150 over it.

as a 13 year customer with AT&T, i had better get some kinda compensation for this........

Message 7 of 14 (5,353 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

yesterday and now today, my phone is NOT ringing at all.  i just used a landline to call it a few times and on the 2nd ring it goes to voicemail.

rebooted phone, same problem.

already rebooted microcell yesterday

i've now turned off my microcell and have lost hope in it completely.

working for emergency services, i NEED this phone to be able to ring.

now that it's unplugged, my phone finally rings.

too bad i'm outside of the 30day return policy.  i now have a two month old $150 brick

Message 8 of 14 (5,242 Views)
Contributor

We are in Napa, CA...Having the same issue.

No ringing...goes straight to voicemail.

Spent 2 hrs on the phone with support and nothing.

Have reset this thing several dozen times...moved it to another location...away from all my computers....changed routers...and still having the issue.

I'm with you...Over the 30 day mark...so I have a BRICK!

AT&T....I'm sorry...but this is NOT ready for Prime Time....You need to fix the issues, before you roll this out any further....BOOOOO...HSSSSSSSSS

Message 9 of 14 (5,189 Views)
Teacher

@ sraymann

did the techs give up on you in the end?  or are they actually looking into this wide spread problem?

two hours is a long time to be on the phone with them

Message 10 of 14 (5,187 Views)
Contributor

I was having the same issue and after going through a few techs I found one that knew how to fix this. You need to have them assign a new id # to your phone - the number the network uses to find and route calls to your phone. They do this remotely, it just takes a few minutes, then you reboot your phone and reset the microcell tower. There is a reset hole on the back of the microcell and you use a paperclip to poke into it. This is quicker than unplugging it and going through the 90 minute wait for it to go through the whole reboot process. Anyway, ask your tech to do this for you and hopefully you'll have the same success.

Message 11 of 14 (3,459 Views)
Teacher

Curious if others have found this to be a real fix?   Incoming calls go to voice mail on an intermittent 

basis for us. No apparent pattern. There are several posts that relate to this problem and I am still

looking for a solid solution.

Message 12 of 14 (3,377 Views)
Teacher

my microcell has been unplugged for a few weeks now.

think it's safe yet to plug back in, or will my phone continue to NOT receive phone calls still?

=/

i'm still quite annoyed at the price of this thing and it's a two month old brick at the moment

Message 13 of 14 (3,338 Views)
Contributor

I have a Palm Pre Plus and I have this problem too. I do have a weak signal at home but it happens other places too. I wonder if they don't have enough bandwidth and that's how they handle the overflow.

Message 14 of 14 (2,748 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.