iPhone doesn't ring when people call.

Contributor

Re: iPhone doesn't ring when people call.

don't hurt me!  i am having the same problem with my TILT in the new orleans area.  the sound quit working so i bought another TILT.  it was working fine, then i started getting voicemails with no missed calls and full signal strength.  went back to my old TILT and the same issue.  tried my old NGage and same thing.  it appears not to be phone or area specifice, the only commonality seems to be AT&T...
Message 46 of 54 (6,756 Views)
Contributor

Try the following:

1. In case the headset jack is jammed (in the software's brain), plug the headset into and out of the jack somewhat rapidly. Flip the silent/ring switch off and on.
  2. Go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. The iPhone will restart.
  3. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode. Do a Soft Reset by holding down Home and Sleep until the Apple logo appears.
  4. Turn Airplane mode off and do another Soft Reset. 
If that doesn't work and you don't want to Restore your phone using iTunes, try removing custom ringtones (and then maybe repeating the above procedure): First disable automatic syncing in iTunes Preferences; uncheck Sync Ringtones in Sync option; Sync; Disconnect when done.
Message 47 of 54 (6,573 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

there is a tiny switch (silent switch) on the upper left corner of the phone above the volume slider, if you see an orange dot the phone is on silent- switch it so the orange dot is covered.

I know how you feel, I changed my case and must have slid it to off, did not find it until after a hard reset...yeesh

unfortunately there is no signal that this is on, but handy when you find it to turn the ringer off completely when needed

Message 48 of 54 (5,617 Views)
Contributor

Some find out here: -
Scenario 1
Device: iPhone 3Gs, 3.1.2/5.11.7
Telcos NOM Mode: All of them running on 002

As long as my iPhone is connected (active session while uploading/downloading) to GPRS/EDGE, any incoming calls will route straight to Voice Mail. 3G/HSDPA - Ok, as both data and voice and run simultaneuosly.

I.e. Data has got higher priority than Voice

Scenario 2
Device: Nokia E72
While uploading/ downloading via GPRS/EDGE, any incoming calls, data session will be halted immediately and phone rings.

Any explain on this?

Excuse my english, thank you.
Message 49 of 54 (5,107 Views)

I agree, call ATT and have them check your routing and make sure you dont have call forwarding set up. Also, there is a 3rd party service that lets you use a voicemail for all your numbers.. if you have set this up it may not be working properly as it does set up call forwarding.

Message 50 of 54 (5,045 Views)
Tutor

I was having the same problem with missed calls.  I called AT&T.  They had me replace the sim card, which of course didnt help.  Called Apple they tried everything with no improvement either.  I finally made the 100 mile drive to an Apple Store.  They replaced my 3G phone with a newer one (3G).  Problem solved.  I think there's becoming a pattern here with some of the older 3G phones.  This all started about a week ago for me with the missed call issues. Apple didnt even bat an eye about replacing it.  I dont think this is an isolated incident with some of these phones.  Good luck!!
Message 51 of 54 (2,569 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem.  I reset it, did a hard reboot, turned off the 3 G nothing worked until I turned off the bluetooth!  If not connected to a bluetooth device and the bluetooth is still on, the phone will not ring.  Since I discovered this I have had no problem

Message 52 of 54 (1,434 Views)
Professor

phassman wrote:

I had the same problem.  I reset it, did a hard reboot, turned off the 3 G nothing worked until I turned off the bluetooth!  If not connected to a bluetooth device and the bluetooth is still on, the phone will not ring.  Since I discovered this I have had no problem

That may be a workaround for your phone, but something is still wrong.  I leave my BT on all of the time so it will pair with my car and home phone base station, but if I'm away from either the phone rings normally with BT on but not connected to anything.

Message 53 of 54 (1,431 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 54 of 54 (1,423 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.