Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 17, 2011
3:48:21 PM
View profile
iPhone doesn't pick up the microcell

I have the 3G Microcell at home and it works fine EXCEPT: About one out of three times when I get home the iPhone doesn't pick up the microcell and continues to operate on the public ATT 3G network (which is crappy in my neighborhood, which is why I got the microcell in the first place). When this happens, I've only found two ways to make it connect up:

- Power the phone down completely and reboot; or

- Wait until next morning.

Needless to say, neither of these workarounds is acceptable. I have two questions:

(1) Why is this happening? and

(2) Is there a way, short of rebooting, to make the phone look for a network again (going into Airport Mode doesn't do it)?

I have the 3G Microcell at home and it works fine EXCEPT: About one out of three times when I get home the iPhone doesn't pick up the microcell and continues to operate on the public ATT 3G network (which is crappy in my neighborhood, which is why I got the microcell in the first place). When this happens, I've only found two ways to make it connect up:

- Power the phone down completely and reboot; or

- Wait until next morning.

Needless to say, neither of these workarounds is acceptable. I have two questions:

(1) Why is this happening? and

(2) Is there a way, short of rebooting, to make the phone look for a network again (going into Airport Mode doesn't do it)?

iPhone doesn't pick up the microcell

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 10:37:10 PM
(0)
Guru

iPhones and Microcells don't get along.

There are four ways to attempt to get the phone to connect up to the Microcell:

1. Airplane mode toggle

2. 3G Enable toggle (inside Settings > Network)

3. Pull out the SIM momentarily

4. Power-cycle the phone.

iPhones and Microcells don't get along.

There are four ways to attempt to get the phone to connect up to the Microcell:

1. Airplane mode toggle

2. 3G Enable toggle (inside Settings > Network)

3. Pull out the SIM momentarily

4. Power-cycle the phone.

Re: iPhone doesn't pick up the microcell

2 of 7 (1,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 8:32:44 AM
(0)

The first two don't work, at least for me.

How does one remove the SIM from an iPhone? The casing looks pretty seamless to me.

And I gotta say it's pretty darned unacceptable for this device not to talk successfully to the best-selling smart phone in the world.

How does one remove the SIM from an iPhone? The casing looks pretty seamless to me.

And I gotta say it's pretty darned unacceptable for this device not to talk successfully to the best-selling smart phone in the world.

3 of 7 (1,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 12:47:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

erawlins wrote:

We just bought an iPhone 3GS for our son a couple of months ago and I think the SIM card resides in what looked like a MicroSD card slot at the top of the phone (I think). He had to use a small object (like a thin paperclip) to pop out the card far enough to grab it and remove. FWIW, we have 3 iPhone 3GSs in our house now plus two with extended family members and none of them have the problems that have been described here and elsewhere.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

erawlins wrote:

We just bought an iPhone 3GS for our son a couple of months ago and I think the SIM card resides in what looked like a MicroSD card slot at the top of the phone (I think). He had to use a small object (like a thin paperclip) to pop out the card far enough to grab it and remove. FWIW, we have 3 iPhone 3GSs in our house now plus two with extended family members and none of them have the problems that have been described here and elsewhere.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (1,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 5:29:46 PM
(0)
Guru

Otto's right about the SIM removal. The only thing I'll add is that for an iPhone 4 it's the same, except that instead of being on the top of the phone, the SIM tray is on the right side (as you look at the front of the phone).

Some folks have no problems even with iPhones on the Microcell, while the rest of us have nothing but.

Otto's right about the SIM removal. The only thing I'll add is that for an iPhone 4 it's the same, except that instead of being on the top of the phone, the SIM tray is on the right side (as you look at the front of the phone).

Some folks have no problems even with iPhones on the Microcell, while the rest of us have nothing but.

5 of 7 (1,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 9:55:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

Agree with the above comments....and so far, anyways, I've been one of the "lucky" ones with iPhones and an MCell.  I've been using an iPhone4 and a 3gs, and the only problem I have is the one most other iPhone users are having...the lengthy call setup/failure time on a first call made through the MCell after the phone's been disconnected from the MCell.

Agree with the above comments....and so far, anyways, I've been one of the "lucky" ones with iPhones and an MCell.  I've been using an iPhone4 and a 3gs, and the only problem I have is the one most other iPhone users are having...the lengthy call setup/failure time on a first call made through the MCell after the phone's been disconnected from the MCell.

6 of 7 (1,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 6:12:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since getting my MicroCell a couple of weeks ago, pretty much every day I experience this, discovering that it's using the crappy 3g service in my area and not the Microcell.

It pretty much happens first thing every morning after the the phone has been off for the night.

Fortunately for me, toggling airplane mode on both our 4 and 3g iPhones has forced it to reconnect to the Microcell.

But it's a pain to remember to do it, especially when you receive your first call of the day and it's on the crappy 3g service and the call cuts out!

Since getting my MicroCell a couple of weeks ago, pretty much every day I experience this, discovering that it's using the crappy 3g service in my area and not the Microcell.

It pretty much happens first thing every morning after the the phone has been off for the night.

Fortunately for me, toggling airplane mode on both our 4 and 3g iPhones has forced it to reconnect to the Microcell.

But it's a pain to remember to do it, especially when you receive your first call of the day and it's on the crappy 3g service and the call cuts out!

7 of 7 (1,595 Views)