Wireless Forums

Posted May 19, 2012
10:53:00 AM
View profile
iPhone as Gophone

Can I use an iPhone as a Gophone? How about to use sparingly for data without a data plan, the way my Razr works?

Mike

Can I use an iPhone as a Gophone? How about to use sparingly for data without a data plan, the way my Razr works?

Mike

iPhone as Gophone

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 11:05:08 AM
(0)
Master

eznoh wrote:

Mike

ATT does not technically support the iPhone as a go-phone.  I would try Google.  If it works great but if they try to add data plans and such to your daily plans, do not be surprised and they probably will not provide any support other than it is not officially supported.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

eznoh wrote:

Mike

ATT does not technically support the iPhone as a go-phone.  I would try Google.  If it works great but if they try to add data plans and such to your daily plans, do not be surprised and they probably will not provide any support other than it is not officially supported.

Good Luck!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iPhone as Gophone

2 of 15 (13,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 1:06:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

youngjm wrote:

eznoh wrote:

Mike

Good Luck!

I understand they don't support it but I've read that it canbe done. If you get a data package, does it have a time limit?

Mike

youngjm wrote:

eznoh wrote:

Mike

Good Luck!

I understand they don't support it but I've read that it canbe done. If you get a data package, does it have a time limit?

Mike

3 of 15 (13,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 1:54:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T will support the iPhone 3G as a Gophone.

How do I know  this?

I asked AT&T and received the answer - in writing.

AT&T will support the iPhone 3G as a Gophone.

How do I know  this?

I asked AT&T and received the answer - in writing.

4 of 15 (13,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 4:37:21 PM
(0)
Master
I have used the following iPhones with Go Phone service and can confirm that they do work well for calling and texting; 3GS, 4, and the new 4S. As far as data goes my daughter just uses WiFi for data rather than paying AT&T's high data package rates. Data should work but you would need the correct APN settings first. You can do a Google search on. How to obtain those settings, as I don't know that the rules of this forum allow for this discussion.
I have used the following iPhones with Go Phone service and can confirm that they do work well for calling and texting; 3GS, 4, and the new 4S. As far as data goes my daughter just uses WiFi for data rather than paying AT&T's high data package rates. Data should work but you would need the correct APN settings first. You can do a Google search on. How to obtain those settings, as I don't know that the rules of this forum allow for this discussion.

5 of 15 (13,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 7:51:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

Irish Rose wrote:

Thanks!

Irish Rose wrote:

Thanks!

6 of 15 (13,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 8:14:12 PM
(0)
Master

Under the shop section above you can check out the plans.  Depending upon how much you pre-pay, the time-limit will vary.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/go-phones/index.jsp#fbid=O_epxM6tPEq

Under the shop section above you can check out the plans.  Depending upon how much you pre-pay, the time-limit will vary.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/go-phones/index.jsp#fbid=O_epxM6tPEq

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

7 of 15 (13,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2012 8:21:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

youngjm wrote:

I use the $.10 a minute, for data it says: Pay-per-use 1c/5kb3

which would be fine since 99% of the time I am on WiFi.

youngjm wrote:

8 of 15 (13,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 9:54:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
You can also buy a Sim card from straight talk for 15.99. And pay 45 dollars for unlimited everything. And you will still be using AT&T network
You can also buy a Sim card from straight talk for 15.99. And pay 45 dollars for unlimited everything. And you will still be using AT&T network

9 of 15 (13,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 11:53:44 AM
(0)
Expert

mendomar012 wrote:

that will work as long as the phone is unlocked

mendomar012 wrote:

10 of 15 (13,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 3:50:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ranron on May 20, 2012 at 3:51:03 PM
The iPhone will work on GoPhone, but data will not work.

wingrider01 wrote:

mendomar012 wrote:

You don't need to have an unlocked phone to use StraightTalk; just request the AT&T SIM card. That said, I cannot get my StraightTalk SIM to work in my iPhone since the device thinks it's an AT&T SIM, so it forces the AT&T APN settings which are not the same as the MVNO settings.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

wingrider01 wrote:

mendomar012 wrote:

You don't need to have an unlocked phone to use StraightTalk; just request the AT&T SIM card. That said, I cannot get my StraightTalk SIM to work in my iPhone since the device thinks it's an AT&T SIM, so it forces the AT&T APN settings which are not the same as the MVNO settings.

[ Edited ]
11 of 15 (13,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 4:30:14 PM
(0)
Expert

ranron wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mendomar012 wrote:

did not think it would work since it is not the att netowrk, goes back to the simple fact if it was unlocked you could change those items, since it is locked to att it takes the att defaults

ranron wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mendomar012 wrote:

did not think it would work since it is not the att netowrk, goes back to the simple fact if it was unlocked you could change those items, since it is locked to att it takes the att defaults

12 of 15 (13,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 5:05:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on May 20, 2012 at 5:10:05 PM

eznoh wrote:

youngjm wrote:

With any smartphone, there will be no data connection on PPU. You will have to buy the $25 monthly plan plus at least $5 for 50MB data package. Of course you can get the $50 unlimited monthly plan but the data is only good for non-smartphones, so that you'll have to get the $5/50MB data as an add-on package.

eznoh wrote:

youngjm wrote:

With any smartphone, there will be no data connection on PPU. You will have to buy the $25 monthly plan plus at least $5 for 50MB data package. Of course you can get the $50 unlimited monthly plan but the data is only good for non-smartphones, so that you'll have to get the $5/50MB data as an add-on package.

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (13,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 9:56:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can you please send me their answer and tutorial?

I was told by ATT rep that iPhones are excluded from prepaid.

Can you please send me their answer and tutorial?

I was told by ATT rep that iPhones are excluded from prepaid.

14 of 15 (12,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 1:47:04 PM
(0)
Master
Google your question.

Google your question.

15 of 15 (12,591 Views)