Helpful Links

iPhone applications won't open

Scholar

iPhone applications won't open

Whenever I try to open any of my applications, they immediately just shut down. Anyone know what to do?
Message 1 of 11
Master

Re: iPhone applications won't open

Have you tried turning your phone off and then back on.  Sometimes a reboot will help clear up memory issues.
Message 2 of 11
Scholar

Yeah, I've tried that a few times with no luck.
Message 3 of 11
Master

The next thing I'd suggest would be to try a restore of the devices software:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Click on the "Restoring your iPhone or iPod touch" option and it will open showing all the steps.

Message 4 of 11
Scholar

Ha, well I just downloaded a new application and all of the sudden the others work! Weird...
Message 5 of 11
Master

Glad its working.  That is odd just installing another app fixed it.  Normally its the other way around (having to remove a bad app) but you didn't mention just installing anyting right before it happend.

Message 6 of 11
Scholar

I was about to just delete all of them and re-install everything, but I wanted to download one that I didn't have and see if it worked first. When it opened correctly, I decided to try the others, and they worked too! Yay!
Message 7 of 11
Scholar

The reason this happens is because every time a downloaded app is opened it checks for your itunes password for validation that you are authorized to open that app (as it may contain personal info). From time to time the iphone "forgets" your itunes password. You can fix the missing password by syncing the iphone with itunes or downloading an app from the app store and entering your password that way.

I found that out during a call to Apple tech support.

Message 8 of 11
Contributor

One of the people at work had this happen to them as well.  Installing a new app fixed it, as stated above.  I've collected some of my search results and posted them on an article "Fix – IPhone app won’t start/launch/open".

Hope that helps some of you as well. 

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

yup! i just downloaded a new one too and all the rest started working

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Contributor

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you in this little forum. I was freaking out because nothing was opening on my phone either, but I was glad to see others were having the problem with relatively easy fixes. I didn't download a new application but had an upgrade (where it asked for my apple ID as mentioned above) so I did that first hoping for the best and it worked! So thanks a lot, this help me so much

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support