iPhone Wifi Turned Off in Sleep Mode - Consumer Fraud??

Contributor

iPhone Wifi Turned Off in Sleep Mode - Consumer Fraud??

I noticed that my AT&T account was showing high data usage on days when I knew that I was on WiFi.  Come to find out, the WiFi on the iPhone disconnects when it goes into "Sleep" mode.  Is it just me or does this seem like consumer fraud?  I feel like AT&T should make a point to communicate to you that this can cause unknown cellular data usage.  Anybody have any tips to avoid this from happening?  So far I've considered turning off the Sleep Mode and turning off the "Cellular Data" in the settings.

Thanks

Josh

Message 1 of 33 (13,077 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: iPhone Wifi Turned Off in Sleep Mode - Consumer Fraud??

TerriZeee wrote:

Our iPhones do not turn off WiFi when they go to sleep so something is up with the software on your iPhone. 

Maybe try doing a restore to factory settings.

Yes, our iPhones do turn off WiFi in sleep mode. It is done to conserve power. Next time you wake your phone up look at the upper left. You will see 3G change to the WiFi symbol.

Message 31 of 33 (743 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

It's not fraud, it's battery savings.

Why is the answer to every question "fraud"?

If you don't want to use cellular data, turn off cellular data.

Need I remind you that most people who come to these forums aren't looking for help, they're looking to vent, {word filter evasion}, moan that they were defrauded, deceived and generally dumped on by Apple, AT&T, etc. Just look at the thousands of posts about unlocking an iPhone. Sometimes it's better to ignore the .

Message 32 of 33 (742 Views)
Expert

smuseby wrote:
The battery will last a lot longer than six hours when the phone is plugged in.

this is true of any device that has a regarable battery, when it is plugged in it is running on down converted 120 volt electric source from the local power company, not the internal battery

Message 33 of 33 (719 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.