iPhone Upgrade

Tutor

iPhone Upgrade

Hi! I currently have the black iPhone 4, and have had it since January of 2011. myAT&T says that I am up for an upgrade in early June of this year. I am just wanting to upgrade from a black iPhone 4 to a white iPhone 4. Not necessarily the 4S, though. But I was wondering how much it would cost for me to just upgrade to the different color 4, and also what it would cost if I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to the white 4S.

Thank you so much. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10 (655 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone Upgrade

taylenay wrote:

Hi! I currently have the black iPhone 4, and have had it since January of 2011. myAT&T says that I am up for an upgrade in early June of this year. I am just wanting to upgrade from a black iPhone 4 to a white iPhone 4. Not necessarily the 4S, though. But I was wondering how much it would cost for me to just upgrade to the different color 4, and also what it would cost if I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to the white 4S.

Thank you so much. Smiley Happy

until you qualify for the upgrade (yes, wanting to change colors is a upgrade to a different phone) it will cost you full retail price. Be careful ofthe wording, there are two versions of a upgrade for the iphone, the first is a early upgrade so you pay the discounted price plus a 250.00 early upgrade charge, the second is the full discounted price for the phone, in both case you pay the 36.00 upgrade / activation charge on the phone. So best bet wait for june and do the upgrade to the 4S

Message 2 of 10 (646 Views)
Tutor

Well I was planning on waiting until the upgrade I have in June of course. So are you saying that if I waited until my upgrade in June, I would only have to pay the $36 upgrade/activation fee if I upgraded to the 4S?

Message 3 of 10 (626 Views)
Expert

taylenay wrote:

Well I was planning on waiting until the upgrade I have in June of course. So are you saying that if I waited until my upgrade in June, I would only have to pay the $36 upgrade/activation fee if I upgraded to the 4S?

plus the discounted cost of the phone, it starts at 199.00 and goes up from there, retail starts at 649.00

Message 4 of 10 (616 Views)
Tutor

Okay then so what is the point of an upgrade if you have to pay for the phone anyway? 

Message 5 of 10 (606 Views)
Expert

taylenay wrote:

Okay then so what is the point of an upgrade if you have to pay for the phone anyway? 

you pay a portion of trhe true cost of the phone - that is the point of the upgrade. A 16GB iphone retail price is 649.00, you upgrade price is 199.00 so the point of the upgrade is the 449.00 dollar savings on thephone. There are plenty of phones offered that have 0 cost associated with them, just not the iphone.

Message 6 of 10 (595 Views)
Tutor

Well that's just dumb. Thank you though.

Message 7 of 10 (582 Views)
Tutor

Actually, that still doesn't make sense to me. For example, my friend was due for an upgrade for her AT&T phone, and was going to upgrade to the iPhone. She had the choice of upgraded to the iPhone 3 for free or upgrading to the iPhone 4 for $100. So why would it cost me $200 to upgrade to an iPhone 4?

Message 8 of 10 (577 Views)
Contributor

My wife just got her Mother a phone(LG Phoenix), but it was terrible. She saw the iPhone refurbished offer and wanted to upgrade within the 30 day period. Her Mother is gravely ill and going through several surgeries. She was told that her mother would have to send the other phone before getting the new one. Wow. The agent who sold the first phone lied! Now here mother faces a surgery that is very serious and no easy way to make sure she can stay in touch. WE FEEL THAT AT&T either lied or are very poorly trained. The only answer was "I'm sorry that is our policy. We do understand , but that is our policy." This is not the first time we have found insensitive corporate "happy talk" clueless agents.a few have been. Very good, but that is rare. We would like this matter resolved. Before her Mother goes into surgery in a week!
Message 9 of 10 (571 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

taylenay wrote:

Actually, that still doesn't make sense to me. For example, my friend was due for an upgrade for her AT&T phone, and was going to upgrade to the iPhone. She had the choice of upgraded to the iPhone 3 for free or upgrading to the iPhone 4 for $100. So why would it cost me $200 to upgrade to an iPhone 4?

go to the website and look at the prices as a new customer, what is listed is what you pay when you are eligible for an upgrade

Iphone 4S

16GB is 199.00

32GB is 299.00

64GB is 399.00

A 3GS 8GB is 0.99

A 4 8GB is 99.00

So depending on what you want the prices vary, 199.00 is for the latest technology release of the iphone that can utilze all the features of the latest version of the IOS

Message 10 of 10 (566 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.