Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 2, 2011
7:00:57 AM
View profile
iPhone Upgrade Question

i would like to upgrade my son's phone to an iphone for Christmas. If I purchase the phone now, will it deativate his current phone and when will I begin being charged for the data plan? When the iphone is activated, or when I purchase the phone?

i would like to upgrade my son's phone to an iphone for Christmas. If I purchase the phone now, will it deativate his current phone and when will I begin being charged for the data plan? When the iphone is activated, or when I purchase the phone?

iPhone Upgrade Question

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:17:59 AM
(0)
Former Employee

shiggins wrote:

Your son's current sim card won't deactivate until the new phone is activated. As for the data plan, I think it activates when the phone is activated also, but I'm not sure. I recently upgraded my wife's phone to an iphone and the data plan did activate when I activated the phone, but I did activate the phone the same day I received it. I can verify, though, that the data plan does not activate when the phone is ordered.

shiggins wrote:

Your son's current sim card won't deactivate until the new phone is activated. As for the data plan, I think it activates when the phone is activated also, but I'm not sure. I recently upgraded my wife's phone to an iphone and the data plan did activate when I activated the phone, but I did activate the phone the same day I received it. I can verify, though, that the data plan does not activate when the phone is ordered.

Re: iPhone Upgrade Question

2 of 3 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:37:14 AM
(0)
Professor

shiggins wrote:

Be careful if this is a surprise gift. I saw in another thread someone complaining that he bought his wife a new iPhone, expecting it to be a surprise, but AT&T sent text message survey questions to her number. Surprise ruined...

shiggins wrote:

Be careful if this is a surprise gift. I saw in another thread someone complaining that he bought his wife a new iPhone, expecting it to be a surprise, but AT&T sent text message survey questions to her number. Surprise ruined...

Re: iPhone Upgrade Question

3 of 3 (206 Views)