iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

Contributor

iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen

 

*Subject edited as new thread was created* - pamelaz

Message 1 of 25
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

Casual vs casal events. Sometimes they're hard to tell apart.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 25
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


Tdawg4jc wrote:

 The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.


 

The plan is unlimited. So is the cost. There is no CAP, use as much data as you are willing to pay for. It's completely controllable. You decide what you want to pay for.

 

The unlimited plans are never* coming back.

 

*never as in not this year. probably not next either. Never if/when verizon does the same thing, followed by sprint, and t-mobile finally goes out of business.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 25
Expert

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans


Tdawg4jc wrote:

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen


Unlimited plans are never truely unlimited, there are restrictions that are in the TOS for the data plan that 99 percent of the end users never even bother to read.

 

The plans are a dying breed, at CES this year Chief Executive Daniel Mead had this to say

 

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE7060QM20110107

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 

Message 4 of 25
Guru

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?

Message 5 of 25
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 25
Expert

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


Your point is exactly what? Bottom line for any business is profit, for the owners, the holding company, the private equity bankers and the stock holders.  This suprised you?

Message 7 of 25
Guru

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.


You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 

Message 8 of 25
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


tonester wrote:

 

You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 


 

Yeah, I forgot people who use data, but don't understand that they use data. That's true. For those people, unlimited data protects them from their own unaware usage.

 

You can honeslty believe something and still be wrong. Honestly. I believe that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 25
Teacher

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.

Message 10 of 25
Scholar

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

I'm one of the lucky ones who had the unlimited data plan so I got to keep it when I switched from WM to the iPhone.

 

I tethered a lot when I had my WM phone and thought about switching to the 2GB plan so that I can then add tethering for the iPhone.  But that thought was quickly quashed when I realized that the reason I was doing so much tethering was because of the poor browser and internet experience on the WM phone.

 

Now it is rare that I actually need to tether, so my workaround was to buy the prepaid USBConnect stick and on those rare occasions that I absolutley need to power up my PC, I'll activate the stick.

 

I also now have a much better viewing experience with the iPhone SlingPlayer app, so I know I'll also be doing more TV viewing.  As such, that unlimited data plan is just too valuable to give up!

Message 11 of 25
Expert

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans


bell30655 wrote:

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.


might want to read the TOS for data services

Message 12 of 25
Teacher

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 

Message 13 of 25
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


Shinmigami wrote:

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 


 

If you didn't use netflix, you'd be under 2GB Smiley Happy

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 25
ACE - Master

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 25
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support