iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

Contributor

iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen

*Subject edited as new thread was created* - pamelaz

Message 1 of 25 (6,860 Views)
Teacher

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

My eight year old daughter streams Netflix whenever we are driving on my iPad.  I'm so glad that I bought the unlimited plan.

Message 16 of 25 (4,389 Views)
ACE - Professor

GeekBoy wrote:

johninsj wrote:

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 25 (4,356 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

johninsj wrote:

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.

Message 18 of 25 (4,329 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.

I don't know why you feel compelled to argue this. The netflix published data rates are what they are. My spouse's usage tracked exactly to what I posted above. We were in an excellent 3G service area, and had no trouble with speeds.

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 25 (4,310 Views)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

johninsj wrote:

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

Message 20 of 25 (4,203 Views)
ACE - Professor

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

johninsj wrote:

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

Yeah. Sorry. Been fighting a bad cold and didn't carefully proof the post.

7Mbps is HSPA (real world 2-4Mbps) which is right in range for the 2.6Mbps for the low end Netflix HD/720p streams

Thanks.

Message 21 of 25 (4,201 Views)

[ Edited ]

Edit:  Sorry, johninsj.  I didn't see that you had already responded.

tonester wrote:

There's no need to assume.  The information is right there in the previous posts (which were quoted in the current one).  The number being discussed was 2600kbps.  That's 2.6Mbps (or since AT&T uses the 1024-based definition of data sizes, about 2.54Mbps).  At 2.6 Gbps, one would go through the 2GB data allowance in slightly over 6 seconds.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 25 (4,174 Views)
Scholar

They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless
Message 23 of 25 (4,115 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Tru_Warrior wrote:
They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless

And do really expect it to stay that way. Remember, you are looking at a past statistic. Before the networks and devices had the greater capabilities of streaming music and video that we are starting to see now. Consider the Netflix app, it's pretty much useless without unlimited data. The appetite for data will only continue to grow more and more. The carriers are eliminating unlimited data because they are looking at the future and not that past statistic you refer to.

Oh by the way, the unlimited plan is not pointless to me. My son goes over 2GB per month because he likes to stream YouTube videos and uses alot of apps with his iPhone.

Message 24 of 25 (4,035 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

[ Edited ]
I've probably never gone over 2 GB of data in a single month in three years of iPhone ownership. Even though, I have no intention of letting go of my unlimited plan. Looking ahead, you never know when your proclivities may change, or when the natural increase of data capacity will justify it.
Message 25 of 25 (3,984 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.