Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Jan 6, 2011
4:55:14 PM
View profile
iPhone Unlimited Data Plans
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:16:36 PM

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen

 

*Subject edited as new thread was created* - pamelaz

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen

 

*Subject edited as new thread was created* - pamelaz

iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
6,482 views
24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(24)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 5:08:49 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:17:02 PM

Casual vs casal events. Sometimes they're hard to tell apart.

Casual vs casal events. Sometimes they're hard to tell apart.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
2 of 25 (6,471 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 5:11:12 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:18:40 PM

 


Tdawg4jc wrote:

 The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.


 

The plan is unlimited. So is the cost. There is no CAP, use as much data as you are willing to pay for. It's completely controllable. You decide what you want to pay for.

 

The unlimited plans are never* coming back.

 

*never as in not this year. probably not next either. Never if/when verizon does the same thing, followed by sprint, and t-mobile finally goes out of business.

 


Tdawg4jc wrote:

 The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.


 

The plan is unlimited. So is the cost. There is no CAP, use as much data as you are willing to pay for. It's completely controllable. You decide what you want to pay for.

 

The unlimited plans are never* coming back.

 

*never as in not this year. probably not next either. Never if/when verizon does the same thing, followed by sprint, and t-mobile finally goes out of business.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
3 of 25 (6,469 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 3:05:47 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:18:22 PM

Tdawg4jc wrote:

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen


Unlimited plans are never truely unlimited, there are restrictions that are in the TOS for the data plan that 99 percent of the end users never even bother to read.

 

The plans are a dying breed, at CES this year Chief Executive Daniel Mead had this to say

 

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE7060QM20110107

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


Tdawg4jc wrote:

I just got my iphone 4 and it's a great phone.  The issue is ATT decision to take away the unlimited data plans.   I have a phone that I cannot fully enjoy or use because the expense is un-controllable.  Att needs to re-instate their unlimited data plans for Iphonesa and Smartphone, but not the Ipad.  I hope others suggest this along with me. Maybe change will happen


Unlimited plans are never truely unlimited, there are restrictions that are in the TOS for the data plan that 99 percent of the end users never even bother to read.

 

The plans are a dying breed, at CES this year Chief Executive Daniel Mead had this to say

 

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE7060QM20110107

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
4 of 25 (6,413 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 6:56:40 AM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:18:03 PM

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
5 of 25 (6,372 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:44:13 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:17:44 PM

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
6 of 25 (6,357 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 8:42:05 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:17:23 PM

tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


Your point is exactly what? Bottom line for any business is profit, for the owners, the holding company, the private equity bankers and the stock holders.  This suprised you?


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


Your point is exactly what? Bottom line for any business is profit, for the owners, the holding company, the private equity bankers and the stock holders.  This suprised you?

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
7 of 25 (6,345 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 7:54:06 AM
0
(0)
Guru

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.


You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 

 

The article opens with the simple statement that Verizon is seeming a greater profit from the higher margin 10.00 data limited plan promotion.

 

 

 

 


And still (some) people think that the primary reason AT&T switched to offering tiered non-unlimited data plans was for the customer's benefit?


 

Yes. Because as the ARTICLE you didn't read clearly states, VZ is getting more profit by the higher uptake vs the "casual data use" charge they would have gotten off subs without data plans.

 

Most people won't spend $30/mo for what amounts to 50MB of data. Nor will they pay $25 for the causal use charge if they didn't have a plan. They WILL pay $10-$15/mo to get some email and read a few news stories a month via their handsets.

 

So, it's a win/win. Carriers get more data subs, people can use a small but fairly reasonable amout of data while away from their usual locations that have wifi anyway, and everyone* is happy.

 

*Except the small number of people wanting to use their phones as if they were their primary ISP. Those people are unhappy.


You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

8 of 25 (6,140 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 10:13:25 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


tonester wrote:

 

You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 


 

Yeah, I forgot people who use data, but don't understand that they use data. That's true. For those people, unlimited data protects them from their own unaware usage.

 

You can honeslty believe something and still be wrong. Honestly. I believe that.

 


tonester wrote:

 

You forgot to add those folks who aren't too happy that they were charged overage for having gone over their data plan allotment even though they honestly believed that they hadn't knowingly used that much data.

 


 

Yeah, I forgot people who use data, but don't understand that they use data. That's true. For those people, unlimited data protects them from their own unaware usage.

 

You can honeslty believe something and still be wrong. Honestly. I believe that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

9 of 25 (6,103 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 6:33:22 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

10 of 25 (5,933 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:36:48 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

I'm one of the lucky ones who had the unlimited data plan so I got to keep it when I switched from WM to the iPhone.

 

I tethered a lot when I had my WM phone and thought about switching to the 2GB plan so that I can then add tethering for the iPhone.  But that thought was quickly quashed when I realized that the reason I was doing so much tethering was because of the poor browser and internet experience on the WM phone.

 

Now it is rare that I actually need to tether, so my workaround was to buy the prepaid USBConnect stick and on those rare occasions that I absolutley need to power up my PC, I'll activate the stick.

 

I also now have a much better viewing experience with the iPhone SlingPlayer app, so I know I'll also be doing more TV viewing.  As such, that unlimited data plan is just too valuable to give up!

I'm one of the lucky ones who had the unlimited data plan so I got to keep it when I switched from WM to the iPhone.

 

I tethered a lot when I had my WM phone and thought about switching to the 2GB plan so that I can then add tethering for the iPhone.  But that thought was quickly quashed when I realized that the reason I was doing so much tethering was because of the poor browser and internet experience on the WM phone.

 

Now it is rare that I actually need to tether, so my workaround was to buy the prepaid USBConnect stick and on those rare occasions that I absolutley need to power up my PC, I'll activate the stick.

 

I also now have a much better viewing experience with the iPhone SlingPlayer app, so I know I'll also be doing more TV viewing.  As such, that unlimited data plan is just too valuable to give up!

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

11 of 25 (4,261 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 1:10:58 PM
0
(0)
Expert

bell30655 wrote:

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.


might want to read the TOS for data services


bell30655 wrote:

I love my unlimited data plan on both my iPhone and iPad.  They day that AT&T breaches my contract taking this from me will be the day I have a new carrier.  Yes, the AT&T iPhone/iPad Unlimited data plans are truly UNLIMITED.  Trust me, as much as I use the data I would have received a bill by now.


might want to read the TOS for data services

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

12 of 25 (4,228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 1:46:40 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

13 of 25 (4,157 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 2:20:01 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


Shinmigami wrote:

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 


 

If you didn't use netflix, you'd be under 2GB Smiley Happy

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

 


Shinmigami wrote:

Yes, I love it too. I am on a family plan and two of the 3 phones in the plan have unlimited data my blackflip and my wife's iphone 4. She doesn't use her data as much and I do, since he is at home and on our wifi, but me my average use is about 3-4 gigs a month. I dont use data tethering, but I do use netflix, download music, stream radio and use my browser often. Since the IT people at my job will not give out the wifi web key, having unlimited is a life savor. 


 

If you didn't use netflix, you'd be under 2GB Smiley Happy

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

14 of 25 (4,145 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:03:34 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

15 of 25 (4,130 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 4:43:56 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

My eight year old daughter streams Netflix whenever we are driving on my iPad.  I'm so glad that I bought the unlimited plan.

My eight year old daughter streams Netflix whenever we are driving on my iPad.  I'm so glad that I bought the unlimited plan.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

16 of 25 (4,017 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 6:56:05 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

17 of 25 (3,984 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 8:49:20 AM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:52:01 AM

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
18 of 25 (3,957 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:13:29 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:15:30 AM

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

I don't know why you feel compelled to argue this. The netflix published data rates are what they are. My spouse's usage tracked exactly to what I posted above. We were in an excellent 3G service area, and had no trouble with speeds.

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

I don't know why you feel compelled to argue this. The netflix published data rates are what they are. My spouse's usage tracked exactly to what I posted above. We were in an excellent 3G service area, and had no trouble with speeds.

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
19 of 25 (3,938 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 7:43:41 AM
0
(0)
Guru

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 


 

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 


 

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

20 of 25 (3,831 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 8:08:37 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 


 

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...


 

Yeah. Sorry. Been fighting a bad cold and didn't carefully proof the post.

 

7Mbps is HSPA (real world 2-4Mbps) which is right in range for the 2.6Mbps for the low end Netflix HD/720p streams

 

Thanks.

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


tonester wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 

1-2 hours of netflix is a gig. Everything else is "normal use" for "most people" which is why, for most people, 2GB is about the same as unlimited. Unless they have to watch video over 3G.

Odd,  I actually watched an hour of Netflix on my iPhone 4 over 3G and it only used about 165MB of my data.

 


 

It would very much depend on the video quality. 165MB/hour would be "horrible" SD 4:3 quality. Normal low bitrate for netflix is 375kbps for 4:3 material. The lowest HD stream (for HD tv, for example) is 2600kbps.

 

That works out to best case of 165MB (which you saw) per hour, or a worse case of 1.11GB/hour (which I saw)

 

So, as always, "it depends" - if you're watching old SD content, it's not too bad. If you're watching HD content, don't do it on 3G Smiley Happy

 

 


 

Based on your "statement" that the lowest HD bitrate stream is 2600 kbps, and that you personally burned through roughly 1 GB in 1 hour--you're sorta implying, if not insinuating, that that's the rate Netflix HD content is being streamed over 3G (to an iPhone).  You have any proof from Netflix that they are streaming that high of a bitrate over (AT&T's) 3G network to the iPhone Netflix app?  Even the iPhone YouTube app is not capable of allowing folks to receive YT video streams at that high of a bitrate--in fact, IIRC it is not possible to even view YT HD content (over 3G) w/ the iPhone YT app...now why do you think that is?  Also--the iPhone Slingplayer app does not allow video to be streamed to it from a Slingbox over 3G at anywhere near that high a bitrate (I forget the exact numbers but I do know it's nowhere near 1000 kbps...I want to say it's around 400 kbps)--this was done by design primarily to appease AT&T's concern that their beloved 3G network might become overburdened if they were allowed to stream video at much-higher bitrates...this was also why the first version of the iPhone Slingplayer app allowed streaming over WiFi only.

 

Besides--the numbers you gave (2600 kbps resulting in roughly 1 GB usage in 1 hour) assume a constant and unwavering throughput...and unless you just so happened to be standing right next to a cell tower for which you were the only user accessing it--I seriously doubt that you were able to sustain a steady 2600 kbps connection for the entire hour.


 

 

If you stream netflix over 3g, you will clearly consume much more data, very quickly, no matter what the rate. Based on BoyG's rate, 6 hours per GB. Based on mine, 1 hour. So if you watch a half hour of netflix a day in SD 4:3 via 3G, you will use 2GB in 24 days. Or in 2 hours for 720p HD over 3G. Or somewhere inbetween.

 

AT&T HSPA 3G can sustain speeds up to 7Gbps. Real world 3-5Gbps. 2.6Gbps is well within that range, and is easily doable on an iPhone4, if the tower you're on is HSPA *and* has backhaul upgraded. Given we were in a metro suburban area, this seems to be the case.

 

 


 

I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...


 

Yeah. Sorry. Been fighting a bad cold and didn't carefully proof the post.

 

7Mbps is HSPA (real world 2-4Mbps) which is right in range for the 2.6Mbps for the low end Netflix HD/720p streams

 

Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

21 of 25 (3,829 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 10:12:26 AM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:32:20 AM

Edit:  Sorry, johninsj.  I didn't see that you had already responded.



tonester wrote:
I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

There's no need to assume.  The information is right there in the previous posts (which were quoted in the current one).  The number being discussed was 2600kbps.  That's 2.6Mbps (or since AT&T uses the 1024-based definition of data sizes, about 2.54Mbps).  At 2.6 Gbps, one would go through the 2GB data allowance in slightly over 6 seconds.

 

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Edit:  Sorry, johninsj.  I didn't see that you had already responded.



tonester wrote:
I assume that it was a typo on your part--that, or you must have access to some special next-gen 3G that mere mortals such as myself aren't privileged to access because I don't know of any 3G network that can currently sustain even 1 Gigabit per second...let alone even say, 100 Megabits per second.  Shoot, even my fiber-optic home Internet connection is only 15 Mbps...

There's no need to assume.  The information is right there in the previous posts (which were quoted in the current one).  The number being discussed was 2600kbps.  That's 2.6Mbps (or since AT&T uses the 1024-based definition of data sizes, about 2.54Mbps).  At 2.6 Gbps, one would go through the 2GB data allowance in slightly over 6 seconds.

 

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
22 of 25 (3,802 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:26:54 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless
They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

23 of 25 (3,743 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 8:46:01 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:49:09 AM

Tru_Warrior wrote:
They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless

And do really expect it to stay that way. Remember, you are looking at a past statistic. Before the networks and devices had the greater capabilities of streaming music and video that we are starting to see now. Consider the Netflix app, it's pretty much useless without unlimited data. The appetite for data will only continue to grow more and more. The carriers are eliminating unlimited data because they are looking at the future and not that past statistic you refer to.

 

Oh by the way, the unlimited plan is not pointless to me. My son goes over 2GB per month because he likes to stream YouTube videos and uses alot of apps with his iPhone.


Tru_Warrior wrote:
They didn't do it without cause though and their statistics show it, the amount of people who actually go beyond 2GB in a month is very small. So small unlimited plans are pointless

And do really expect it to stay that way. Remember, you are looking at a past statistic. Before the networks and devices had the greater capabilities of streaming music and video that we are starting to see now. Consider the Netflix app, it's pretty much useless without unlimited data. The appetite for data will only continue to grow more and more. The carriers are eliminating unlimited data because they are looking at the future and not that past statistic you refer to.

 

Oh by the way, the unlimited plan is not pointless to me. My son goes over 2GB per month because he likes to stream YouTube videos and uses alot of apps with his iPhone.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
24 of 25 (3,663 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 6:28:08 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Jan 15, 2011 at 6:28:55 PM
I've probably never gone over 2 GB of data in a single month in three years of iPhone ownership. Even though, I have no intention of letting go of my unlimited plan. Looking ahead, you never know when your proclivities may change, or when the natural increase of data capacity will justify it.
I've probably never gone over 2 GB of data in a single month in three years of iPhone ownership. Even though, I have no intention of letting go of my unlimited plan. Looking ahead, you never know when your proclivities may change, or when the natural increase of data capacity will justify it.

Re: iPhone Unlimited Data Plans

[ Edited ]
25 of 25 (3,612 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Share this post
Share this post