Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iPhone Tethering

Contributor

iPhone Tethering

Instead of pointing out all your legal mumbo jumbo PROHIBITING iPhone tethering, how about actually providing what people need in a timely fashion? Hmmm?

The iPhone 3Gs is a large investment and if you cannot/will not provide the goodies, what other options do we have than going to the black market? Hmmm?

SO TELL ME AT&T: When can we expect you to provide a tethering plan for the iPhone 3Gs?

Thanks for response, and please don't give me any blah blah blah. Give us an actual approximate date, you know, like in a real project plan, then at least we know it is an active project that is being worked on and that you are taking your user's requirements seriously, instead of trying to shut them up with thinly concealed legal threads. 

Message 1 of 20
Expert

Re: iPhone Tethering

When it shows up, it shows up, question is - are you going to be willing to pay the additional charges and live with the data transfer cap?
Message 2 of 20
Professor

Since this is a customer forum, you will not be getting any response (official or otherwise) from AT&T employees here.

The only employees here are the moderators and they are only here to keep everyone curteous.

Message 3 of 20

It is possible to do it now. You could jailbreak the device, but you would void your warranty. (until you unjailbreak it)

Depends on what your needs are.

Message 4 of 20
Contributor

@wingrider01 wrote:
 When it shows up, it shows up, question is - are you going to be willing to pay the additional charges and live with the data transfer cap?

I am paying sixty odd dollars per month now for a laptop connect service, and I am paying for my mobile phone. I think I will actually save money with a tethered iPhone. The data trasnfer cap never bothered me before, but perhaps an iPhone will use more bandwidth becasue of all the goodies

Message 5 of 20

@shamefulidentity wrote:

It is possible to do it now. You could jailbreak the device, but you would void your warranty. (until you unjailbreak it)

It would also violate your terms of service, as tethering on a data plan that is not specifically intended for tethering is expressly against the service contract. 

Message 6 of 20
Former Moderator

shamefulidentity wrote:

First, let me say the following as culled from the guidelines everyone has agreed to upon registering:

- Keep it relevant and appropriate-

...Other inappropriate and unacceptable behavior includes: a) discussions about how to violate any AT&T policy or agreement entered into with AT&T for any product or services...

While we don't have issue with the term jailbreaking, we will not allow open discussion regarding this topic on the forum as an attempt to do such actions may result in the voiding of one's device warranty and even the irreparable damaging of the device itself. As always, another reminder to everyone:

Members like you provide most of the content in the Forums. Such third-party content is the sole responsibility of the person posting the content. AT&T does not control or endorse such content and is not responsible for this third-party content. AT&T does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, completeness, usefulness, non-infringement on intellectual property rights, or quality of any content that appears in the Forums, regardless of who originates that content. You expressly understand and agree that you bear all risks associated with using or relying on the content.

Everyone should take this into consideration when accepting advice on this forum, particularly within regard to the modification of a device's software to the degree that jailbreaking is. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 7 of 20
Scholar

if tethering was something you needed why would you purchase a device knowing it did not have the capability in the first place? that's what I want to know.

Message 8 of 20
Expert

@jantjie wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

I am paying sixty odd dollars per month now for a laptop connect service, and I am paying for my mobile phone. I think I will actually save money with a tethered iPhone. The data trasnfer cap never bothered me before, but perhaps an iPhone will use more bandwidth becasue of all the goodies

With mandatory data plan and what ever they charge for tethering you just might be at the same cost level

Message 9 of 20
Professor

@wingrider01 wrote:

With mandatory data plan and what ever they charge for tethering you just might be at the same cost level

Very unlikely.

Message 10 of 20
Professor

He is correct. All PDA plans with tethering is $60. I don't see our tethering plan being cheaper.
Message 11 of 20
Expert

@cousintim wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Very unlikely.

likely -  PDA data plan and tethering 60.00 with voice plan and 5gb cap - expect around that amount for the iphone and you will not be that far off
Message Edited by wingrider01 on 08-07-2009 02:33:24 PM
Message 12 of 20
Professor

@wingrider01 wrote:

@cousintim wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Very unlikely.

likely -  PDA data plan and tethering 60.00 with voice plan and 5gb cap - expect around that amount for the iphone and you will not be that far off

I thought the PDA + data plan was $40 voice + $30 data.  If so, how is $70 total "not that far off" from "$40 voice + $60 LaptopConnect?
Message 13 of 20

The $60 is for the data/tethering plan. The voice is separate.
Message 14 of 20
Expert

@cousintim wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@cousintim wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Very unlikely.

I thought the PDA + data plan was $40 voice + $30 data.  If so, how is $70 total "not that far off" from "$40 voice + $60 LaptopConnect?

60 + cost of voice plan, so depending on the plan it can start close to 100.00 US. Price quoted was without talk minutes.

Base plan fro 450 minutes = 39.99

PDA dataplan w/ tethering = 60.00

total before federal addtions and taxes = 99.99

the comparision give before was for data plan only, no voice on the phone

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support