Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iPhone - Send all calls to voicemail directly without phone ringing

Highlighted
Tutor

iPhone - Send all calls to voicemail directly without phone ringing

Hi Folks,
I'm traveling overseas soon and am wondering how to send all calls to VM so as to not incur the exorbitant international rates ($2.49/minute in India!).  I plan to purchase a data package so I can check e-mail etc; but don't want to receive calls.  I learned from customer support today that I will be billed @ $2.49/min as soon as the phone starts ringing (not actual talk-time!?).  So, I really want to just turn off the 'phone' part of the iPhone.  any ideas?

Thanks 
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: iPhone - Send all calls to voicemail directly without phone ringing

@shrisha wrote:
Hi Folks,
@I'm traveling overseas soon and am wondering how to send all calls to VM so as to not incur the exorbitant international rates ($2.49/minute in India!).  I plan to purchase a data package so I can check e-mail etc; but don't want to receive calls.  I learned from customer support today that I will be billed @ $2.49/min as soon as the phone starts ringing (not actual talk-time!?).  So, I really want to just turn off the 'phone' part of the iPhone.  any ideas?

Thanks 

1. Dial *#67# to see which number is used to forward calls to VM.
  2. Dial *21*number# to forward all calls unconditionally before you leave.
  3. Dial ##002# when you return to restore the default settings.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response!  In your opinion, does this essentially save me from being billed for any calls to my cell?  In other words, does *21 keep the call in the cloud and away from the actual device?  thanks again.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

@shrisha wrote:
Thanks for the quick response!  In your opinion, does this essentially save me from being billed for any calls to my cell?  In other words, does *21 keep the call in the cloud and away from the actual device?  thanks again.

Yes, it's an unconditional forwarding it doesn't matter whether the phone is on or off, it'll never ring and you'll never be charged the roaming fees for these calls, they'll just use your anytime minutes.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

So using this dial sequence works for iPhone, will it work for other AT&T phones?  like the Samsung A437?  This is really good stuff to know, especially if it's useful for every AT&T user.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

Nellx5 wrote:
So using this dial sequence works for iPhone, will it work for other AT&T phones?  like the Samsung A437?  This is really good stuff to know, especially if it's useful for every AT&T user.

Yes, this is a GSM standard, so as long as AT&T service supports it it'll work for all phones. If AT&T decides to drop it, it won't work from any phone.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support