Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 5, 2012
12:13:23 PM
View profile
iPhone Question

I am going to be traveling next month to visit family in another state and one of the family members asked if I had a spare iPhone that I could get unlocked.  I have a family plan that does not include a data plan, since none of the members on this plan, including me, do not have smart phones.  My question about the iPhone is that if I was to get an iPhone, get it unlocked, and put in my SIM card, would a data plan automatically be added to my account?  Or could I just shut off the network connection and use the w-fi access?

I am going to be traveling next month to visit family in another state and one of the family members asked if I had a spare iPhone that I could get unlocked.  I have a family plan that does not include a data plan, since none of the members on this plan, including me, do not have smart phones.  My question about the iPhone is that if I was to get an iPhone, get it unlocked, and put in my SIM card, would a data plan automatically be added to my account?  Or could I just shut off the network connection and use the w-fi access?

iPhone Question

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 12:56:37 PM
(0)
Professor

You can't unlock an iPhone, plain and simple. You can purchase an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, but you'll have to pay full price.

You also cannot get an iPhone from AT&T without adding a data plan. Just like any other smartphone, a data plan is required.

You can't unlock an iPhone, plain and simple. You can purchase an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, but you'll have to pay full price.

You also cannot get an iPhone from AT&T without adding a data plan. Just like any other smartphone, a data plan is required.

Re: iPhone Question

2 of 7 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 3:02:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ckuczek wrote:

I presume you are already an AT&T customer. Consequently, it won't matter whether the iPhone is locked or unlocked. If you put your AT&T sim into it, it will work and you will probably get a data plan added to it automatically.

ckuczek wrote:

I presume you are already an AT&T customer. Consequently, it won't matter whether the iPhone is locked or unlocked. If you put your AT&T sim into it, it will work and you will probably get a data plan added to it automatically.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 5:54:17 PM
(0)
Professor

That was what I figured, that I would get a data plan added automatically. I have seen some videos of people at AT&T stores unlocking the iPhones that were on display.

That was what I figured, that I would get a data plan added automatically. I have seen some videos of people at AT&T stores unlocking the iPhones that were on display.

4 of 7 (278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 6:28:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ckuczek wrote:

Where? I have never seen or heard of this. Unless by "some people" you mean customers jailbreaking display phones, which I am sure happens.

ckuczek wrote:

Where? I have never seen or heard of this. Unless by "some people" you mean customers jailbreaking display phones, which I am sure happens.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 3:56:23 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes.  I have seen videos on YouTube that other users posted of people jailbreaking the display iPhones at the AT&T stores.

Yes.  I have seen videos on YouTube that other users posted of people jailbreaking the display iPhones at the AT&T stores.

6 of 7 (221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 4:09:34 PM
(0)
Expert

ckuczek wrote:

major difference between unlocking the phone and hacking it.

Since they where hacking someone else's property without permission wonder what they charges where that where made against them

ckuczek wrote:

major difference between unlocking the phone and hacking it.

Since they where hacking someone else's property without permission wonder what they charges where that where made against them

7 of 7 (218 Views)