iPhone Part #MC640LL/A - Sold by AT&T - Apple Doesn't Recognize It!

Teacher

iPhone Part #MC640LL/A - Sold by AT&T - Apple Doesn't Recognize It!

I bought an iPhone 3GS 8Gb from AT&T, sealed in shrink wrap, box label was marked MC640LL/A, had iCloud on the box and came with iOS 5.0, etc., opened it at the store and noticed some rough spots on the case and bezel. I took it home with me and got suspicious that it may be a refurb or used rather than brand new. It works OK as far as I can tell.

So, I called Apple Customer Service; the Apple Stores; AppleCare; and AT&T Customer Care to try to get a straight answer as to what my MC640LL/A really is:

1. Apple says it doesn't have any record of an MC640LL/A. It only sells an MC555LL/A 3GS 8Gb for AT&T. They also said AT&T has their own refurb operation and "does their own thing with used iPhones - They don't go back thru Apple".

2. Apple Stores sell only the MC555LL/A and said they think "an MC640LL/A may be an AT&T refurb."

3. AT&T Customer Care said they don't know what it is, either, because their sales documents only reference an MC555LL/A. They "think it might be a newer model but can't rule out a refurb or previously-owned and updated iPhone."

4. Five Orlando area AT&T-authorized agent stores are selling the MC640LL/A as a new phone. Two Walmarts and three AT&T corporate stores are selling the MC555LL/A and have never heard of the MC640LL/A.

So, what the heck is an MC640LL/A? New? Used? Refurb?

I have another week to go in my 30 day satisfaction period and this baby goes back if I can't get a straight answer from AT&T as to what they actually sold me....

Anybody find a written reference from Apple or AT&T as to what this MC640LL/A really is????

Message 1 of 2
Professor

Re: iPhone Part #MC640LL/A - Sold by AT&T - Apple Doesn't Recognize It!

go to settings>>>>then General>>>>about scroll down to see the serial number i think there is a way to telll its a refurb,if you have your doubts you have 30 days to return the iphone.

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support