iPhone Encyrption

Scholar

iPhone Encyrption

I've often wondered about the level of iPhone encryption.  Several apps, iTunes, Game Center, as well as third party apps require a "login".  Does the iPhone encrypt this type of communication?

Message 1 of 5 (253 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone Encyrption

E the P wrote:

I've often wondered about the level of iPhone encryption.  Several apps, iTunes, Game Center, as well as third party apps require a "login".  Does the iPhone encrypt this type of communication?

Probably be a good question for Apple / developers of the 3rd party apps, since encryption can be done at the logon level in coding

Message 2 of 5 (251 Views)
ACE - Professor

If the developer sends the login data over https, then it's encrypted. This is "standard internet programming practice" since 2001.

Some developers might store your password in plain text. This is "standard lousy/lazy programming practice" since the dawn of databases.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (234 Views)
Guru

E the P wrote:

It is safe to say that anything apple uses encryption (most likely SSL over TLS). So gamecenter and itunes and the appstore are fine. However 3rd party apps may not use any encryption. If it is a well known app (like skype) it is safe to say it should be encrypted. But then again nothing is perfect.

Message 4 of 5 (193 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

iFrosty is correct.  When you are logged into your iTunes, App Store, and Game Center accounts there is encryption involved, as iFrosty said both SSL/TSL.  Also to protect users from possible malicious malware Apple is pushing to developers 'Sandboxing'>  (okay this is a bit technical but; sandboxing typically provides a tightly-controlled set of resources for applications/programs/OS's to run in, on disk and memory. Network access, the ability to inspect the host system or read from input devices are usually disallowed or heavily restricted.  I apologize if this is too much)

Check this Apple KB article out: "iOS4-Understanding Data Protection> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4175

Message 5 of 5 (167 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.