Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 14, 2010
6:46:52 AM
View profile
iPhone - A slew of questions (thanks in advance)
Edited by recacer on Aug 14, 2010 at 6:52:32 AM

** wasn't 100% sure if this topic is better suited here or elsewhere  -  please feel free to move if needed **

hey party people

1. when it comes to purchasing the iPhone, is there a benefit to purchasing at att vs apple (or vice versa)?

2. what is the very best insurance/protection plan i should be considering when purchasing an iPhone?

3. is it true that all iPhone issues need to be addressed to apple and not att?  if so, am i assuming that this would be anything other than service related issues (dropped calls, can't access features, no internet, etc)?

4. for current iPhone 4 users, does the free bumper/case from apple solve your reception issue?  i'm assuming 3gs does not have this issue.

5. for all current iPhone users, what are your top 3 accessory add-ons (zagg shield, sleeve, etc?)

6. can apps be downloaded to pc and then transferred to iPhone?  if so, im assuming this would not affect the data usage, correct?

7. when considering the best option to possibly have fees waived or costs reduced, would i have better luck with att sales by phone, walk-in store, or with apple?

and finally,

8. for those who have used both the 3gs and the 4... is the jump to 4 worth the extra $100?

well, those are my questions/concerns.  thanks for taking time to read.  looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.  thanks again. take care.

**EDIT**

one more question...

9. with the bumper/case program ending september 30th... does apple have plans to release a phone that corrects the antenna placement or something similar?  if so, would it be best to wait until then to purchase?

** wasn't 100% sure if this topic is better suited here or elsewhere  -  please feel free to move if needed **

hey party people

1. when it comes to purchasing the iPhone, is there a benefit to purchasing at att vs apple (or vice versa)?

2. what is the very best insurance/protection plan i should be considering when purchasing an iPhone?

3. is it true that all iPhone issues need to be addressed to apple and not att?  if so, am i assuming that this would be anything other than service related issues (dropped calls, can't access features, no internet, etc)?

4. for current iPhone 4 users, does the free bumper/case from apple solve your reception issue?  i'm assuming 3gs does not have this issue.

5. for all current iPhone users, what are your top 3 accessory add-ons (zagg shield, sleeve, etc?)

6. can apps be downloaded to pc and then transferred to iPhone?  if so, im assuming this would not affect the data usage, correct?

7. when considering the best option to possibly have fees waived or costs reduced, would i have better luck with att sales by phone, walk-in store, or with apple?

and finally,

8. for those who have used both the 3gs and the 4... is the jump to 4 worth the extra $100?

well, those are my questions/concerns.  thanks for taking time to read.  looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.  thanks again. take care.

**EDIT**

one more question...

9. with the bumper/case program ending september 30th... does apple have plans to release a phone that corrects the antenna placement or something similar?  if so, would it be best to wait until then to purchase?

iPhone - A slew of questions (thanks in advance)

[ Edited ]
17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 8:27:36 AM
(0)
Master

1. It doesn't matter.

2. Contact your homeowner's or renter's insurance provider for an electronics rider. Most economical option.

3. Yes.

4. I never had a reception issue other than coverage issues.

5. Bumper. I have the ZAGG Invisible Shield, but I'm not sure I would recommend it.

6. Yes, and you are correct.

7. No idea, probably store.

8. Yes

9. Apple may be adding something internally to the phone to insulate it from the "reception issue", but whether you wait is up to you. I don't think they're going to do a magical redesign on the phone to make it spit rainbows and unicorn tears between now & then.

1. It doesn't matter.

2. Contact your homeowner's or renter's insurance provider for an electronics rider. Most economical option.

3. Yes.

4. I never had a reception issue other than coverage issues.

5. Bumper. I have the ZAGG Invisible Shield, but I'm not sure I would recommend it.

6. Yes, and you are correct.

7. No idea, probably store.

8. Yes

9. Apple may be adding something internally to the phone to insulate it from the "reception issue", but whether you wait is up to you. I don't think they're going to do a magical redesign on the phone to make it spit rainbows and unicorn tears between now & then.

Re: iPhone - A slew of questions (thanks in advance)

2 of 18 (1,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 12:39:43 PM
(0)
Professor

Dont have time to read the entire post (sorry) but, you asked if the case resolves the reception issues:

Yes, more then yes. I had reception issues (the normal death-grip) but it seemed to have just poor(er) reception all around. Like in my pocket at work, never had service for two weeks.

Then I got the otterbox, and my phone never loses service at work in my pocket. I think the antenna is effected more then just the grip issue - thats my personal opinion.

Conclusion: with a case, this phone has the best reception I've ever used with any carrier.

Dont have time to read the entire post (sorry) but, you asked if the case resolves the reception issues:

Yes, more then yes. I had reception issues (the normal death-grip) but it seemed to have just poor(er) reception all around. Like in my pocket at work, never had service for two weeks.

Then I got the otterbox, and my phone never loses service at work in my pocket. I think the antenna is effected more then just the grip issue - thats my personal opinion.

Conclusion: with a case, this phone has the best reception I've ever used with any carrier.

6 of 18 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 9:45:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

thanks brian.  questions to your answers...

2.  do not have homeowner's/renter's insurance...  if i purchased applecare, would i need to get att's wireless phone insurance?  seems like if i need to go to apple anyhow, why have insuraqnce from att.

5.  zagg... i've had that site bookmarked as an immediate purchase once the iphone was in my hands.  what is keeping you from recommending it?  the full body maximum coverage ($24.99) was what caught my eye.  claims to solve the signal issue without the need for a bumper... also seems to do a great job at protecting the overall surface.

7.  i guess i'll start with the att store and go from there.

9.  how cool would it be if apple pulled that off.

thanks again!

2.  do not have homeowner's/renter's insurance...  if i purchased applecare, would i need to get att's wireless phone insurance?  seems like if i need to go to apple anyhow, why have insuraqnce from att.

5.  zagg... i've had that site bookmarked as an immediate purchase once the iphone was in my hands.  what is keeping you from recommending it?  the full body maximum coverage ($24.99) was what caught my eye.  claims to solve the signal issue without the need for a bumper... also seems to do a great job at protecting the overall surface.

thanks again!

3 of 18 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 10:54:45 AM
(0)
Expert

recacer wrote:

thanks again!

Applecare only extends the warrenty of the phone, it is in no way shape or form insurance. ATT offers insurance onthe iphone, so does BB if you buy it from them, it is expensive to say the least

recacer wrote:

thanks again!

Applecare only extends the warrenty of the phone, it is in no way shape or form insurance. ATT offers insurance onthe iphone, so does BB if you buy it from them, it is expensive to say the least

4 of 18 (1,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 11:03:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

wingrider, thanks for your reply.

warranty/insurance confuses me.  i assumed by this (taken from this link)...

Extended hardware coverage

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered

• Your iPhone
  • Battery3
  • Included earphones and accessories
  •  

...that with that plan, aeverything would be covered (with some restrictions).  what would having the monthy insurance from att get me?

wingrider, thanks for your reply.

warranty/insurance confuses me.  i assumed by this (taken from this link)...

Extended hardware coverage

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered

• Your iPhone
  • Battery3
  • Included earphones and accessories
  •  

...that with that plan, aeverything would be covered (with some restrictions).  what would having the monthy insurance from att get me?

5 of 18 (1,638 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 1:16:50 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on Aug 14, 2010 at 1:17:14 PM

1 no

2 insurance is a rigged game Smiley Wink

3 yes, apple makes the hardware. AT&T makes the sim. If the sim is bad, see AT&T

4 there is no reception issue

5 any $5 case to protect it. Bluetooth headset. Apps Apps Apps

6 sure, use iTunes on your PC *or* use wifi to buy/download apps on phone. Visit Starbucks if you lack Wifi

7 you will have no luck at all - either you are eligible or not for whatever you get

8 oh yeah, the iP4 is way better than the 3/3GS

9 apple isn't going to change the hardware until next year, when the all new iPhone5 comes out. It would cost way too much to retool for a hardware change nearly 1/4 through the prodcution run.

Just get a bumper/case/whatever and forget about it.

Good luck, hope you get one, they're Grrrreat.

1 no

2 insurance is a rigged game Smiley Wink

3 yes, apple makes the hardware. AT&T makes the sim. If the sim is bad, see AT&T

4 there is no reception issue

5 any $5 case to protect it. Bluetooth headset. Apps Apps Apps

6 sure, use iTunes on your PC *or* use wifi to buy/download apps on phone. Visit Starbucks if you lack Wifi

7 you will have no luck at all - either you are eligible or not for whatever you get

8 oh yeah, the iP4 is way better than the 3/3GS

9 apple isn't going to change the hardware until next year, when the all new iPhone5 comes out. It would cost way too much to retool for a hardware change nearly 1/4 through the prodcution run.

Just get a bumper/case/whatever and forget about it.

Good luck, hope you get one, they're Grrrreat.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 18 (1,594 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 1:26:02 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

@katieeighty...  thanks for getting this to the right spot!

john... thanks for your reply.  thanks to the reponses so far, along with the numerous reviews/tips/grips i've read (not just here), there's a 99.9% chance i'll be walking into an att store tomorrow.  unless their closed.

@katieeighty...  thanks for getting this to the right spot!

john... thanks for your reply.  thanks to the reponses so far, along with the numerous reviews/tips/grips i've read (not just here), there's a 99.9% chance i'll be walking into an att store tomorrow.  unless their closed.

8 of 18 (1,583 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 3:10:02 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

1. Doesn't really matter, if your home when it's delivered then ATT.  Need a sig?, Apple.

2. Don't need one, iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty.  Just don't lose your phone or let somebody you don't know play with it.

3. What issues?  Get your free bumper case now, from what I heard Apple fix the problem on week 31+ iPhone 4.

4. Yes, it solves the problem.  My bars go from 5 to 3 unlike 5 to 0 without the bumper.  3gs has the same problem, just less noticeable.

5. Don't have any, why ruin a great looking phone?

6. Yes.

7. The best time right now is go the Apple/ATT store and buy one.

and finally,

8. Depends on you,  I sold my 3gs for $375 before the i4 came out.

1. Doesn't really matter, if your home when it's delivered then ATT.  Need a sig?, Apple.

2. Don't need one, iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty.  Just don't lose your phone or let somebody you don't know play with it.

3. What issues?  Get your free bumper case now, from what I heard Apple fix the problem on week 31+ iPhone 4.

4. Yes, it solves the problem.  My bars go from 5 to 3 unlike 5 to 0 without the bumper.  3gs has the same problem, just less noticeable.

5. Don't have any, why ruin a great looking phone?

6. Yes.

7. The best time right now is go the Apple/ATT store and buy one.

and finally,

8. Depends on you,  I sold my 3gs for $375 before the i4 came out.

9 of 18 (1,538 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 4:34:55 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

doh!  i guess i was underestimating the demand (still) for the iphone... or the lack of inventory by apple.  i just called 4 att stores in my area and all are out of 4 and 3gs.  since i cant get to a store mon - fri first thing in the morning and wait for the shipments to come in, i suppose i should just jump online now and get the phone reserved. 

hold up... i am now concerned about data usage after reading this article about Phantom Data Usage.  I was planning on getting the 2gb data plan... i hope the phantom data doen't cause me to go over.

aaaahhh, decisons, decisions.

doh!  i guess i was underestimating the demand (still) for the iphone... or the lack of inventory by apple.  i just called 4 att stores in my area and all are out of 4 and 3gs.  since i cant get to a store mon - fri first thing in the morning and wait for the shipments to come in, i suppose i should just jump online now and get the phone reserved. 

hold up... i am now concerned about data usage after reading this article about Phantom Data Usage.  I was planning on getting the 2gb data plan... i hope the phantom data doen't cause me to go over.

aaaahhh, decisons, decisions.

10 of 18 (1,508 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 6:40:21 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    AppleCare protection plan is limited by the way. They do not cover you if you damage your iPhone. B.II in the terms say no to Accidents and negligence, self repair, going elsewhere to fix the iPhone other than apple, etc which voids any assistance.

AT&T offers assistance for a fee. Some offer other insurance places with seldom help in repairs.
    ------------
    Phantom data can be avoided in airplane mode or settings/general/network/data off but disables all phone related features. However this saves you the high mb usage at night. Some people can afford to forward voice calls to voip service while indoors. Google Voice or Skype for example to receive pc calls.
    AppleCare protection plan is limited by the way. They do not cover you if you damage your iPhone. B.II in the terms say no to Accidents and negligence, self repair, going elsewhere to fix the iPhone other than apple, etc which voids any assistance.

AT&T offers assistance for a fee. Some offer other insurance places with seldom help in repairs.
    ------------
    Phantom data can be avoided in airplane mode or settings/general/network/data off but disables all phone related features. However this saves you the high mb usage at night. Some people can afford to forward voice calls to voip service while indoors. Google Voice or Skype for example to receive pc calls.

11 of 18 (882 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 6:59:33 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

regarding phantom data...  if i were to do this "settings/general/network/data off" as you suggest, would that data be sent as soon as i turn data back on?  i'm also assuming if i just turn the phone off at night, that would solve the problem as well.  but again, wouldn't that data be sent soon after turning the phone on?

regarding phantom data...  if i were to do this "settings/general/network/data off" as you suggest, would that data be sent as soon as i turn data back on?  i'm also assuming if i just turn the phone off at night, that would solve the problem as well.  but again, wouldn't that data be sent soon after turning the phone on?

12 of 18 (874 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2010 5:34:56 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

uh-oh!

wen to att store yesterday to place my order for a 3gs.  instead of just walking up to a csr and doing that, i wandered over to the actual phone sitting on display, you know, just to mess with it a bit.  they had it sitting next to the samsung captivate.  oh man, is that a nice looking phone.  played with it a bit... ending up walking out of the store with no phone, no order placed for a 3gs...  just plain old confused about getting the 3gs or he captivate.

guess i'll be spending another week or 2 doing some research on a phone... but this time the captivate.

uh-oh!

wen to att store yesterday to place my order for a 3gs.  instead of just walking up to a csr and doing that, i wandered over to the actual phone sitting on display, you know, just to mess with it a bit.  they had it sitting next to the samsung captivate.  oh man, is that a nice looking phone.  played with it a bit... ending up walking out of the store with no phone, no order placed for a 3gs...  just plain old confused about getting the 3gs or he captivate.

guess i'll be spending another week or 2 doing some research on a phone... but this time the captivate.

13 of 18 (819 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2010 6:11:44 AM
    (0)
    Master

Regarding phantom data, I'm not sure there's a way around it.

I wouldn't waste time with the 3GS.  If you're going to buy an iPhone, wait for the iPhone 4.  The difference is remarkable, if for nothing else the screen alone.

Regarding phantom data, I'm not sure there's a way around it.

I wouldn't waste time with the 3GS.  If you're going to buy an iPhone, wait for the iPhone 4.  The difference is remarkable, if for nothing else the screen alone.

14 of 18 (813 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2010 6:30:19 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

thanks again brian.

just spent 30 minutes perusing the samsung forum here and, like the iphone, am reading some unwelcomed complaints.  things like, it has a pretty look (screen), but it doen's off much past that.

aaahhh!

let me comment on myself and what i want to do with the phone, please tell me if any iphone or captivate is overkill for me...

not very tech savvy (but have a husband who is)

want to make calls

want to text

want to upload pics to facebook

...and (not a requirement), but would like to as gps on trips

am i reaching too high with the ip and capt?  also, i'm not currently tied to a contract, so could bounce elsewhere if needed.  my current plan is acceptable to me (nationwide 1000 min. w/ rollover at $40).  i would add 2 gb data for $25 and 200 text for $5... all coming to $70mo. 

thanks again in adavance!!!

thanks again brian.

just spent 30 minutes perusing the samsung forum here and, like the iphone, am reading some unwelcomed complaints.  things like, it has a pretty look (screen), but it doen's off much past that.

aaahhh!

let me comment on myself and what i want to do with the phone, please tell me if any iphone or captivate is overkill for me...

not very tech savvy (but have a husband who is)

want to make calls

want to text

want to upload pics to facebook

...and (not a requirement), but would like to as gps on trips

am i reaching too high with the ip and capt?  also, i'm not currently tied to a contract, so could bounce elsewhere if needed.  my current plan is acceptable to me (nationwide 1000 min. w/ rollover at $40).  i would add 2 gb data for $25 and 200 text for $5... all coming to $70mo. 

thanks again in adavance!!!

15 of 18 (805 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2010 7:51:19 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by josephz2va on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:54:21 AM

Note that Android OS has certain flaws in software wise compared to the iPhone OS and i4 hardware wise.

1. iPhone 4's antenna problem, maybe, but Captivate does drop a little in signal too. In some areas, it'll both go no service as you don't have a very good coverage area. At 5 bars, they don't drop like a stone very easily.

2. Android OS has been commented on Droid X and Captivate is similar in too much data checking over iPhone 4. This is mainly due to the Unified Inbox system. FaceBook, Twitter, IMs, Mail, etc all run at once in the foreground either on minutely or set to hourly refreshes. iPhone does not check these repeatedly but requires separate applications of each type and none of them run in the foreground. You have to refresh by opening one by one. FB by itself, Twitter by itself, IM by itself, and Mail adjusted to Fetch by Hourly not Push for Google and a few others.

3. iPhone has more accessories than the 10s of Android devices out there including Captivate. Captivate only has Micro USB and 'Universal' car chargers and docks whereas iPhone has tons of third party contracts done like TomTom Car Kit for iPhone or BOSE Sound Dock for iPhone.

4. Samsung has many issues right now to deal with on their Galaxy S models compared to the iPhone like you can't upload photos from the Samsung apps or AT&T apps.

5. AT&T modified the Captivate and added loads of Bloatware and Instant Monthly charges from the many blogs out there. Like clicking "Where" requires a subscription, or AT&T's 10 applications they have added to the Captivate all require a subscription added to your phone bill.

Note that Android OS has certain flaws in software wise compared to the iPhone OS and i4 hardware wise.

1. iPhone 4's antenna problem, maybe, but Captivate does drop a little in signal too. In some areas, it'll both go no service as you don't have a very good coverage area. At 5 bars, they don't drop like a stone very easily.

2. Android OS has been commented on Droid X and Captivate is similar in too much data checking over iPhone 4. This is mainly due to the Unified Inbox system. FaceBook, Twitter, IMs, Mail, etc all run at once in the foreground either on minutely or set to hourly refreshes. iPhone does not check these repeatedly but requires separate applications of each type and none of them run in the foreground. You have to refresh by opening one by one. FB by itself, Twitter by itself, IM by itself, and Mail adjusted to Fetch by Hourly not Push for Google and a few others.

3. iPhone has more accessories than the 10s of Android devices out there including Captivate. Captivate only has Micro USB and 'Universal' car chargers and docks whereas iPhone has tons of third party contracts done like TomTom Car Kit for iPhone or BOSE Sound Dock for iPhone.

4. Samsung has many issues right now to deal with on their Galaxy S models compared to the iPhone like you can't upload photos from the Samsung apps or AT&T apps.

5. AT&T modified the Captivate and added loads of Bloatware and Instant Monthly charges from the many blogs out there. Like clicking "Where" requires a subscription, or AT&T's 10 applications they have added to the Captivate all require a subscription added to your phone bill.

[ Edited ]
    16 of 18 (783 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2010 5:54:03 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

thanks for your input joseph.

still on the fence with which phone would better suit my needs.  i am still leaning towards the 3gs.  going to the att store again tonight.  we'll see what happens.

thanks for your input joseph.

still on the fence with which phone would better suit my needs.  i am still leaning towards the 3gs.  going to the att store again tonight.  we'll see what happens.

17 of 18 (747 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 17, 2010 6:04:40 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

okay guys... stepped into an att store 12 minutes before closing, didn't hesitate, didn't wander over to the captivate to change my mind... walked straight up to the csr and asked to order a 3gs. 

she took my info, my cc, asked if i needed a $120 bluetooth device (told her no), asked if i needed any accessories (told her no), asked to verify my home address for shipping the phone... i asked why i couldn't have it shipped to the store (she said they dont do that anymore), i asked again (she replied the same... i was told 1 day earlier at a store a few miles away that this was okay with them)...  when i told her i dont want it shipped to the house because they dont require a signature, i could tell that she was surprised i knew that.   she hesitated a bit, and said i could have it shipped to my work.  i questioned that i thought it had to be shipped to the billing address on the account, she said no.  so i gave her my work address. 

she then tried to force upon me the applecare program.  i told her i was not interested in it until my 12 months was nearing an end (again she was surprised i knew that).   all in all, a decent ordering process.  she didnt try to get me into a higher plan.  i told her exactly what i wanted (which i think may have surprised her also, a customer knowing exactly what they wanted).  i will say that i'm not sure if it was due to the time i got there, but she was a bit arrogant.  her mannerisms were too over the top for any csr to act in front of a customer.  even the chatter she was having with a co-worker while writing me up  was something i, or any customer, didnt need to hear.  i would rate the order process a 3/5.

order 

okay guys... stepped into an att store 12 minutes before closing, didn't hesitate, didn't wander over to the captivate to change my mind... walked straight up to the csr and asked to order a 3gs. 

she took my info, my cc, asked if i needed a $120 bluetooth device (told her no), asked if i needed any accessories (told her no), asked to verify my home address for shipping the phone... i asked why i couldn't have it shipped to the store (she said they dont do that anymore), i asked again (she replied the same... i was told 1 day earlier at a store a few miles away that this was okay with them)...  when i told her i dont want it shipped to the house because they dont require a signature, i could tell that she was surprised i knew that.   she hesitated a bit, and said i could have it shipped to my work.  i questioned that i thought it had to be shipped to the billing address on the account, she said no.  so i gave her my work address. 

she then tried to force upon me the applecare program.  i told her i was not interested in it until my 12 months was nearing an end (again she was surprised i knew that).   all in all, a decent ordering process.  she didnt try to get me into a higher plan.  i told her exactly what i wanted (which i think may have surprised her also, a customer knowing exactly what they wanted).  i will say that i'm not sure if it was due to the time i got there, but she was a bit arrogant.  her mannerisms were too over the top for any csr to act in front of a customer.  even the chatter she was having with a co-worker while writing me up  was something i, or any customer, didnt need to hear.  i would rate the order process a 3/5.

order 

18 of 18 (714 Views)