iPhone 4s won't stay connected to microcell

Contributor

iPhone 4s won't stay connected to microcell

I have a new iPhone 4s, and my husband still has his 3gs. His phone will stay connected to the microcell.

I can force my 4s to connect, (by going into and out of airplane mode), but it won't stay connected. After a few minutes, it drops off.

I have turned off cellular data, rebooted both the phone and the microcell, and moved the microcell so it's directly in front of the window. It still won't stay connected to the microcell.

What else can I try?

Message 1 of 27 (10,224 Views)
Contributor

Re: iPhone 4s won't stay connected to microcell

Just got a micro cell .....  We have two 3GS Iphones running 5.01 software and they will not connect to the micro cell unless we toggle airplane mode on and back off...  It sounds like a call to ATT would be a waste after reading the previous posts....Wondering whether to return the micro cell or wait/hope for a software update to fix this....  This sounds like a VERY common problem....Smiley Mad

Message 16 of 27 (8,179 Views)
Tutor

I was not aware of this iOS5 compatibility issue until we just tried hooking up a new microcell yesterday and couldn't get either of our phones to connect at all. (They are a 4 and a 3GS both running iOS5.0.1)   So it's now a month after the last post with apparently no answer in sight other than hoping some future release of iOS fixes the problem. Smiley Sad

For what it's worth, all 4 iPhones on our account could reliably use a different microcell on our account when running iOS4.x.  Unfortunately I don't think it's possible for us to back down to 4.x at this point.

Message 17 of 27 (7,715 Views)
Teacher

iPhone and Microcell have magically started working!

Well very curious....after 1+ months of not working with the Microcell in my house, the 2 iPhones I have (wife and I) have started working without having to do anything. I did not update, still on 5.0.1 (both iPhone 4). One I could not get to link at all and the other I had to put in Airplane mode. But now work without a thing. Could AT&T have fixed something? Others report if that have noticed any magic on their end....
Message 18 of 27 (7,699 Views)
Tutor

Re: iPhone and Microcell have magically started working!

My situation is simlar to yous in that mysteriously I can now connect today.  I did cycle power on the microcell though, so I can't say that I did nothing on my end .  Although I had done that before with no success.  The only issue I notice now is that the phones don't automatically switch to the microcell when entering the house, we have to manually do the airline mode thing but they always now do now seem to find the m-cell when we do.  

Message 19 of 27 (7,697 Views)
Teacher

I should have said that mine is on a timer and power cycle it every day along other misc electronics. Can we suspect this was An AT&T issue all along? What else would explain this?
Message 20 of 27 (7,693 Views)

Really not a good idea to power cycle electronics daily.  Things like routers, switches, STBs, and the Microcell are actually designed to be running 24x7.  (STBs you should do soft power off though.)  

Message 21 of 27 (7,454 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Has anyone talked to apple about this as it seems to be there issue and not ATT's. Anyone conect customer support or the forums? I purchased a MC last night and got it up and going with my 4s. Worked until this morning when I turned the 4s On and notice it was at my default 3G cell site which was low signal and not the MC. So it makes sense and backs up information about the phone picking a lower signal tower then the MC with a higher signal. We need to get apple involved.
Message 22 of 27 (7,267 Views)
Teacher

Just got off tech support at Apple and they said this seems to be a major issue. Not sure if they are working actively to fix it right now however said he would forward this to engineers for review. He recommended that more people call in about this the better and that would help engineers move to update the 4s code. He agreed that this seems to be a code issue. He said that also to try to reset the network settings of the 4s under Settings/General/Reset. And see if maybe this might help. I'll try this again when I get home. He did ask me how long it took before the 4s failed to reconnect to the MC. Told him I let the phone go to sleep when I went to bed and when it got up and woke the phone, it wasn't connected to the MC.

So lets get all you 4s and MC users to call in and complain. Let us know what they said to you and get a case number. I did. Hope we can motivate them to fix this. I would be nice to the 4s to auto connect to the MC with out any interaction. Smiley Surprised)

Keep us posted.

Message 23 of 27 (7,260 Views)
Teacher

Anyone else call Apple or any more information heard on this issue?

Message 24 of 27 (7,145 Views)

While I have no issue with my iPhone 4s staying connected to my AT&T Microcell, my battery does drain quickly when connected to it and if Cellular Data is enabled - disabling Cellular Data resolves the battery drain issue.

I've filed a bug with Apple at https://bugreport.apple.com/ and had an engineer request a number of logs from my iPhone 4s while connected to my Microcell - I would encourage all of you to do the same!

Bry

Message 25 of 27 (7,080 Views)
Teacher

Sounds like Celluar Data keeps going when it shouldn't be. Keep us posted on if you hear any feedback from Apply about this. 

You can disable CD on the iphone under Setting/General/Network.

Message 26 of 27 (7,056 Views)
Contributor

i am another user with the same issue with my new 4S.  worked great for a long time with iphone 3.  Other 4S users in my office have no issue.  now i need to use the airplane mode cycle work around. It seems like a 5.1 issue to me.

Message 27 of 27 (6,377 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.