iPhone 4s outside US to be used - Needs unlock

Contributor

iPhone 4s outside US to be used - Needs unlock

I purchased iPhone 4s with ATT contract and now broke the contract and would like to use it outside US.

Please suggest ways to use iPhone 4S outside US. I need unlock for this phone.

Message 1 of 14 (2,148 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 4s outside US to be used - Needs unlock

anky3377 wrote:

I purchased iPhone 4s with ATT contract and now broke the contract and would like to use it outside US.

Please suggest ways to use iPhone 4S outside US. I need unlock for this phone.

You purchased the wrong phone. You wanted to buy a SIM Unlocked Phone. That's the one that costs $700.

I suggest you sell that one, and buy a SIM unlocked one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (2,147 Views)
Former Employee

There is no unlock.

Message 3 of 14 (2,136 Views)
Professor

The best way to use the at&t version of the iPhone on any other network is as an iPod. Or maybe a paperweight. But the iPhone has never, and for the foreseeable future will never, be unlocked for use on any other network.
Message 4 of 14 (2,109 Views)
Guru

And yet another thread about unlocking!!!!
Message 5 of 14 (2,105 Views)
Professor

If I thought that these threads were legitimate, I would propose that each of the forum regulars take a certain day (or two) of the month, and answer any unlocking questions that arise on the forum.

But since I think that they are fake...I will stop posting to them!  Smack my hand if you see me slipping.

Message 6 of 14 (2,083 Views)

I agree with 21....let's all just stop responding to any post about unlocking!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 14 (2,077 Views)

21stNow wrote:

But since I think that they are fake...I will stop posting to them!  Smack my hand if you see me slipping.

So, what is your proof that they are fake?  Opinions are like noses,  most everyone has one.

The problem is the average consumer has no idea what sim locking is all about.  So, they buy a phone and learn the hard way.

All the iPhone nerds on this forum understand the issue, 99.9% of the people on the planet don't have a clue.

I'm sure some fanboy will say "well they should search this forum first".   OK whatever you say.

Message 8 of 14 (2,028 Views)
Master

Shakes head and wonders why that little search box is never used for these questions?Smiley Surprised

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 9 of 14 (2,023 Views)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

21stNow wrote:

So, what is your proof that they are fake?  Opinions are like noses,  most everyone has one.

The problem is the average consumer has no idea what sim locking is all about.  So, they buy a phone and learn the hard way.

All the iPhone nerds on this forum understand the issue, 99.9% of the people on the planet don't have a clue.

I'm sure some fanboy will say "well they should search this forum first".   OK whatever you say.

They don't need to even use the Search option. There are at least 6 threads on the first page that have to do with "unlocking".
Message 10 of 14 (2,017 Views)

As i stated in another thread, There are over 900 threads in the forum dealing with unlocking.

So using the search box would answer any of these questions.

They are just to lazy to be bothered, and expect their question to be answered as their's is "SPECIAL".

Message 11 of 14 (1,822 Views)

I agree with 21, all they have to do is READ the first page of threads for their answer! I guess I'm one of your "fanboy(girl)" posters because I certainly believe posters SHOULD search the forums for answers before they post! Or at least look at topics from the first few pages. The answers are usually right there.

It's funny that you question 21 about "proof" of fake posters. If you look at most of the new posters asking this question, they never appear again!! I think that is proof enough!

wireless-user wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Message 12 of 14 (1,812 Views)
Professor

wireless-user wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The keyword in that sentence was think.  If I had proof that they were fake, I would have said I know that they are fake.

If you are interested in my line of thinking, here it is.

1.  There have been about 1-2 new threads per day for the last few months about unlocking.  It started to pick up when Jamileh started posting on our forum to help people.

2. All of the posters seem to want to use the iPhone out of the country.  If it were about most people not understanding SIM locking, you would see some posters asking if the phone can be unlocked to use with other US carriers, such as T-Mobile, H2O Wireless, Red Pocket and a host of other MVNOs.  You might even see questions about incompatible carriers such as Boost and Virgin, if most people don't understand SIM unlocking.

3. There are many threads right on the first page about unlocking.  Even if the person with the question didn't want to use the search function, the answer is already easy to see.  Yet, I'm supposed to believe that the person took the time to register for the forum, then post a question, then came back to look at the responses.  I'm having trouble believing that.

4.  There are a lot of first and one time posters that ask about unlocking.  However, it could be possible that that was the only question that they had, and it was answered.

Your post gave me a new line of reasoning, as well.  There's an old saying that says that a hit dog will holler.  If so, I just gave you some new ideas in item #2. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 14 (1,792 Views)
Highlighted

21stNow wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The keyword in that sentence was think.  If I had proof that they were fake, I would have said I know that they are fake.

If you are interested in my line of thinking, here it is.

1.  There have been about 1-2 new threads per day for the last few months about unlocking.  It started to pick up when Jamileh started posting on our forum to help people.

2. All of the posters seem to want to use the iPhone out of the country.  If it were about most people not understanding SIM locking, you would see some posters asking if the phone can be unlocked to use with other US carriers, such as T-Mobile, H2O Wireless, Red Pocket and a host of other MVNOs.  You might even see questions about incompatible carriers such as Boost and Virgin, if most people don't understand SIM unlocking.

3. There are many threads right on the first page about unlocking.  Even if the person with the question didn't want to use the search function, the answer is already easy to see.  Yet, I'm supposed to believe that the person took the time to register for the forum, then post a question, then came back to look at the responses.  I'm having trouble believing that.

4.  There are a lot of first and one time posters that ask about unlocking.  However, it could be possible that that was the only question that they had, and it was answered.

Your post gave me a new line of reasoning, as well.  There's an old saying that says that a hit dog will holler.  If so, I just gave you some new ideas in item #2. Smiley Wink

Interesting theories...  However, many of these posts are from people outside the USA and the individual couldn't care less about using the device in the USA on T-Mobile or some other GSM carrier.

Getting a sign-on to this forum doesn't take a PhD, and since there's not many places to get help (especially outside the USA), the questions don't surprise me..

I think of the people I know who are not PC literate, have no idea about searching archives and know even less about sim locking a mobile handset.  Ask the average person who is about to go overseas about their mobile handset and its capabilities and you're sure to get a blank look.

I have several "illegally"  Smiley Happy  phones for use outside the USA.  My only point here is we shouldn't be poking someone in the eye because they ask a question.  Maybe they are just trolling, but that would indicate a person with far too much time on their hands.  

I think it's more about people who aren't iPhone or PC literate.

Over 75 million iPhones out there.  If just 1% had a sim lock problem, that's 750,000 users.   Even a half percent would be 325,000,   so a few posts a week about sim lock isn't shocking.....

AT&T could end all this if they wanted, it's a bizarre policy.

Message 14 of 14 (1,770 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.