Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 23, 2011
8:28:48 PM
iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy SII
I purchased the Samsung two weeks ago on Oct 10 so I still have a couple more weeks before I am locked into contract. I like the Samsung but after playing around with the IPhone 4s I am leaning toward taking the Galaxy back. Has anyone purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII and taken it back for the IPhone?
I purchased the Samsung two weeks ago on Oct 10 so I still have a couple more weeks before I am locked into contract. I like the Samsung but after playing around with the IPhone 4s I am leaning toward taking the Galaxy back. Has anyone purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII and taken it back for the IPhone?

iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy SII

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 8:45:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm an Apple fan and have the Original iPhone and don't think I will ever change brands, but I think you should ask yourself what you want on your phone. What features on a phone are important for you to have?

Whatever those features are will tell you what phone is best for you. It doesn't matter what we think as it's a personal choice. All of us here can tell you to buy the iPhone because of all sorts of reasons, but in the end, you are the one using the phone... not us.

Follow your instincts, especially since you already know your preference Smiley Wink

I'm an Apple fan and have the Original iPhone and don't think I will ever change brands, but I think you should ask yourself what you want on your phone. What features on a phone are important for you to have?

Whatever those features are will tell you what phone is best for you. It doesn't matter what we think as it's a personal choice. All of us here can tell you to buy the iPhone because of all sorts of reasons, but in the end, you are the one using the phone... not us.

Follow your instincts, especially since you already know your preference Smiley Wink

Re: iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy SII

2 of 18 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 9:13:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

I would personally take it back for an iPhone just because I hate android compared to apple's OS

I would personally take it back for an iPhone just because I hate android compared to apple's OS

3 of 18 (1,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 5:26:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
If you like a big screen, keep the SGS II. If you want better battery life, exchange for the iPhone.
If you like a big screen, keep the SGS II. If you want better battery life, exchange for the iPhone.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 18 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 11:09:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

arholmes wrote:

I had the Samsung for about 2 weeks and took it back on Saturday. Reserved a 4S Sat night and walked out of the apple store with a 4S on sunday

arholmes wrote:

I had the Samsung for about 2 weeks and took it back on Saturday. Reserved a 4S Sat night and walked out of the apple store with a 4S on sunday

5 of 18 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:04:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

I took my Samsung Galaxy back today. Checked around and stopped at the local Sams Club and they had about twenty Iphone 4s in stock. Walked out with a white one. The service person said they had gotten around sixty and had sold 40. Loving it so far!!! Made the right choice.

I took my Samsung Galaxy back today. Checked around and stopped at the local Sams Club and they had about twenty Iphone 4s in stock. Walked out with a white one. The service person said they had gotten around sixty and had sold 40. Loving it so far!!! Made the right choice.

6 of 18 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:11:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

You followed your instincts just like I said Smiley Wink

So what was the deciding factor that made you go with the 4S vs. the SII?

You followed your instincts just like I said Smiley Wink

So what was the deciding factor that made you go with the 4S vs. the SII?

7 of 18 (1,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 11:56:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

It really came down to the ease of using the software on the Iphone. I wanted to give Android a try but just found it too complicated compared to IOS 5. The Galaxy also felt cheaply made. I know the Iphone is smaller but when you hold it in your hands it just feels right with the added weight. The only think that I will miss is the increased screen size on the Galaxy. I also must admit the white version of the Iphone looks fantastic!!!

It really came down to the ease of using the software on the Iphone. I wanted to give Android a try but just found it too complicated compared to IOS 5. The Galaxy also felt cheaply made. I know the Iphone is smaller but when you hold it in your hands it just feels right with the added weight. The only think that I will miss is the increased screen size on the Galaxy. I also must admit the white version of the Iphone looks fantastic!!!

8 of 18 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 1:48:43 AM
(0)
Expert

If you're klutzy, SGII wins. Smiley Wink

I wanted the GS2, but could not find a live one anywhere to play with.  I was familiar with the iPod Touch, so went with the 4S.

Wish the 4S had bigger screen real estate, but there's no shortage of cases and the like; not so much for the GS2.  And the GS2 is a bit large if you like to keep your phone in your pocket.

If you're klutzy, SGII wins. Smiley Wink

I wanted the GS2, but could not find a live one anywhere to play with.  I was familiar with the iPod Touch, so went with the 4S.

Wish the 4S had bigger screen real estate, but there's no shortage of cases and the like; not so much for the GS2.  And the GS2 is a bit large if you like to keep your phone in your pocket.

9 of 18 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 2:11:51 AM
(0)
Master
^ LOL, I saw that video and it wasn't very realistic. Nobody would just throw their iPhone on the ground like that. However, I would expect the SGS2 to do better in a drop test due to it cheaply made "plastic" body.
^ LOL, I saw that video and it wasn't very realistic. Nobody would just throw their iPhone on the ground like that. However, I would expect the SGS2 to do better in a drop test due to it cheaply made "plastic" body.

10 of 18 (1,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 9:12:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

arholmes wrote:

The SII was a cool phone, but Android seems to be an unfinished OS still in its infant stages.

Apps are a nightmare. Every app works a different way and sometimes hard to figure out. I tried several email apps and finding the send button was really difficult on some of them. I found most of the same apps for Android as I used on my old iPhones. Much easier to use on the iPhone.

The SII just didn't feel right in my hand.

Battery life sucked and took forever to recharge

arholmes wrote:

The SII was a cool phone, but Android seems to be an unfinished OS still in its infant stages.

Apps are a nightmare. Every app works a different way and sometimes hard to figure out. I tried several email apps and finding the send button was really difficult on some of them. I found most of the same apps for Android as I used on my old iPhones. Much easier to use on the iPhone.

The SII just didn't feel right in my hand.

Battery life sucked and took forever to recharge

11 of 18 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 10:11:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, the white iPhones are gorgeous!

No matter what new phones come out or how big the screen size is, as far as design wise - all the new phones out there will never compare to the high tech look of the iPhone. Even though fans wanted a new design, the iPhone4/4S design does not look outdated. Maybe for the individual user, but as a whole in comparison to the majority of phones out there, especially since they come only in black... Apple is definitely ahead in the design field. 

White is their trademark color and they market it well. If you notice, other iPad-like tablets are now being designed in white. Hmmm... I wonder where they got that idea from. If you want the original, you buy an Apple! Smiley Happy

Yes, the white iPhones are gorgeous!

No matter what new phones come out or how big the screen size is, as far as design wise - all the new phones out there will never compare to the high tech look of the iPhone. Even though fans wanted a new design, the iPhone4/4S design does not look outdated. Maybe for the individual user, but as a whole in comparison to the majority of phones out there, especially since they come only in black... Apple is definitely ahead in the design field. 

White is their trademark color and they market it well. If you notice, other iPad-like tablets are now being designed in white. Hmmm... I wonder where they got that idea from. If you want the original, you buy an Apple! Smiley Happy

12 of 18 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 10:24:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

I would go with the Samsung Galaxy II. My reasons:

1. If you need to replace the battery or even extend the battery it's interchangeble and easy to just pop off the battery door unlike the iPhone where its married to the device.

2. iPhones are fragile and completely covered in glass. It looks horried to have dropped an iPhone. SGSII can take much more abuse.

3. The iPhone only changes price whenever another one comes out or they're not selling as much. (as far as subsidized pricing and no commitment pricing goes). Android phones price will come down in time, faster than iPhone pricing does. Who doesn't like saving money?

4. SGSII has a 2mp front facing camera, iPhone 4S has VGA.

5. SGSII has integrated memory of 16GB/32GB and can expand up to 32GB with an SD card. This means you can technically have infinite memory with the use of interchangeble SD cards.

6. You have to use iTunes to activate an iPhone, SGSII hassle free activation simple enough especially when the apple servers are going crazy it took about a day to activate an iPhone 4S.

7. The screen size on iPhone 4S is small 3.5". In fact apple has no imagination, they used the same model as the iPhone 4, how easy is that to distinguish? SGSII has 4.3" screen.

8. Easier to root than the iPhone 4S or any iPhone for that matter.

9. Even though the processor is not completely as fast as the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S, I'd still buy the SGSII being that you have a lot more freedom when it comes to developing apps/games and actually using the hardware to its potential. You don't need apple to hold your hand do you?

10. And finally my number 10 reason: It's just better. But this reason is my opinion based on the above ↑.

Smiley Happy

sources: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I would go with the Samsung Galaxy II. My reasons:

1. If you need to replace the battery or even extend the battery it's interchangeble and easy to just pop off the battery door unlike the iPhone where its married to the device.

2. iPhones are fragile and completely covered in glass. It looks horried to have dropped an iPhone. SGSII can take much more abuse.

3. The iPhone only changes price whenever another one comes out or they're not selling as much. (as far as subsidized pricing and no commitment pricing goes). Android phones price will come down in time, faster than iPhone pricing does. Who doesn't like saving money?

4. SGSII has a 2mp front facing camera, iPhone 4S has VGA.

5. SGSII has integrated memory of 16GB/32GB and can expand up to 32GB with an SD card. This means you can technically have infinite memory with the use of interchangeble SD cards.

6. You have to use iTunes to activate an iPhone, SGSII hassle free activation simple enough especially when the apple servers are going crazy it took about a day to activate an iPhone 4S.

7. The screen size on iPhone 4S is small 3.5". In fact apple has no imagination, they used the same model as the iPhone 4, how easy is that to distinguish? SGSII has 4.3" screen.

8. Easier to root than the iPhone 4S or any iPhone for that matter.

9. Even though the processor is not completely as fast as the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S, I'd still buy the SGSII being that you have a lot more freedom when it comes to developing apps/games and actually using the hardware to its potential. You don't need apple to hold your hand do you?

10. And finally my number 10 reason: It's just better. But this reason is my opinion based on the above ↑.

Smiley Happy

sources: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

13 of 18 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 10:45:53 AM
(0)
Expert

But if you've already invested in several Apps, then 4S is the reasonable choice.  I couldn't find all of my Apple apps in the Android Market. Smiley Sad  And some are important, health-related.  In reading reviews from people who had the same apps with iTunes vs. Android, lots of complaints about Android not working the same as Apple.  I understand that's all relative, like mostly posters only complain (sound familiar?). Smiley Very Happy

It seems with Android, you'll be waiting a long time, if ever, before your carrier upgrades to the latest OS/software version.  They can delay it so long that you'll be ready to buy a new phone with an even newer OS.  There's rooting, but right now I don't have time for that.

Bottom line is go with the phone you like and what works better for your situation. Smiley Wink

But if you've already invested in several Apps, then 4S is the reasonable choice.  I couldn't find all of my Apple apps in the Android Market. Smiley Sad  And some are important, health-related.  In reading reviews from people who had the same apps with iTunes vs. Android, lots of complaints about Android not working the same as Apple.  I understand that's all relative, like mostly posters only complain (sound familiar?). Smiley Very Happy

It seems with Android, you'll be waiting a long time, if ever, before your carrier upgrades to the latest OS/software version.  They can delay it so long that you'll be ready to buy a new phone with an even newer OS.  There's rooting, but right now I don't have time for that.

Bottom line is go with the phone you like and what works better for your situation. Smiley Wink

14 of 18 (723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 11:00:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

spd2demun wrote...

Bottom line is go with the phone you like and what works better for your situation.

Agreed. Go Apple! LOL

When you say rooting, what does than mean?

spd2demun wrote...

Bottom line is go with the phone you like and what works better for your situation.

Agreed. Go Apple! LOL

When you say rooting, what does than mean?

15 of 18 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 11:02:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

spd2demun wrote:

That's why you get a Nexus phone!

spd2demun wrote:

That's why you get a Nexus phone!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 18 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 11:08:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
@HelloKitty007 "When you say rooting, what does than mean?"

What I mean by that is basically unlocking the phone so that you can load your own ROMs on there and not have to worry about bloatware. Plus the phone runs much much MUCH more faster when you root it.
@HelloKitty007 "When you say rooting, what does than mean?"

What I mean by that is basically unlocking the phone so that you can load your own ROMs on there and not have to worry about bloatware. Plus the phone runs much much MUCH more faster when you root it.

17 of 18 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 7:34:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

It depends. Can't really go wrong with either one. I just came from the first Galaxy S to the iPhone 4S. The OS is smoother on the iPhone 4S, but there are a lot of restrictions. My biggest gripe is the screen size. Too small for my big hands. I can't really say though. I'm thinking about returning my 4s....for the GSII. But I don't know...

It depends. Can't really go wrong with either one. I just came from the first Galaxy S to the iPhone 4S. The OS is smoother on the iPhone 4S, but there are a lot of restrictions. My biggest gripe is the screen size. Too small for my big hands. I can't really say though. I'm thinking about returning my 4s....for the GSII. But I don't know...

18 of 18 (657 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments