Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 5, 2011
8:00:14 PM
View profile
iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan
I currently have an iPhone 3GS with grandfathered in unlimited data plan for $30. I'm planning on upgrading to the 4s. Anyone know if I can keep the unlimited plan or if I'll be forced to switch to one of the current data plans? I would like to preorder my iPhone on oct 7 from the apple website but can't find anywhere any mention about the data plans
I currently have an iPhone 3GS with grandfathered in unlimited data plan for $30. I'm planning on upgrading to the 4s. Anyone know if I can keep the unlimited plan or if I'll be forced to switch to one of the current data plans? I would like to preorder my iPhone on oct 7 from the apple website but can't find anywhere any mention about the data plans

iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

79 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:45:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

7:00 AM EDT this morning I grabbed my IP4 and went into the Apple Store App.  Ordered the black 64GB and when it got to the screen to select my data plan, the option for Unlimited was there at the bottom.  This was the easiest thing I have ever ordered from anywhere.  Phone was ordered by 7:04 AM with expected delivery on Oct 14th.

7:00 AM EDT this morning I grabbed my IP4 and went into the Apple Store App.  Ordered the black 64GB and when it got to the screen to select my data plan, the option for Unlimited was there at the bottom.  This was the easiest thing I have ever ordered from anywhere.  Phone was ordered by 7:04 AM with expected delivery on Oct 14th.

Re: iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

31 of 80 (2,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:48:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just ordered the iPhone 4S on AT&T's website. As a grandfathered unlimited user the option to continue unlimited data for $30 was an option when buying the phone. For whatever reason there is an alert noting that unlimited data plan for iPhone must be change; however, you are able to reselect unlimited data once again before you complete your purchase. I opted to order online via AT&T because they do have the 30 day buyer's remorse return policy if something goes wrong, but as for now everything looks good. Good luck to all!
I just ordered the iPhone 4S on AT&T's website. As a grandfathered unlimited user the option to continue unlimited data for $30 was an option when buying the phone. For whatever reason there is an alert noting that unlimited data plan for iPhone must be change; however, you are able to reselect unlimited data once again before you complete your purchase. I opted to order online via AT&T because they do have the 30 day buyer's remorse return policy if something goes wrong, but as for now everything looks good. Good luck to all!

32 of 80 (2,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:55:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was told that after you order your iPhone 4S from Apple, AT&T will styill contact you after activating the phone and inform you of the data plan incompatibility. Big Fail IMP AT&T, your going to lose a loayl customer to verizon, even though they dont have unlimited data.

I was told that after you order your iPhone 4S from Apple, AT&T will styill contact you after activating the phone and inform you of the data plan incompatibility. Big Fail IMP AT&T, your going to lose a loayl customer to verizon, even though they dont have unlimited data.

33 of 80 (2,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:57:15 AM
(0)
Professor

808 Warrior wrote:

so basiclly you got to keep your unlimited data plan right?  i have the unlimited data plan and i want to keep it.

808 Warrior wrote:

so basiclly you got to keep your unlimited data plan right?  i have the unlimited data plan and i want to keep it.

hello!!!

34 of 80 (2,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:17:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I ordered iPhone 4S 64Gb earlier today and it allowed me to keep my unlimited data plan

I ordered iPhone 4S 64Gb earlier today and it allowed me to keep my unlimited data plan

35 of 80 (2,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:59:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with an AT&T representative and they assured me that I would be able to keep my data and messaging plan and that the only thing that would change is my phone.

If wrong, then it looks like I'll be going to Sprint.

I just got off the phone with an AT&T representative and they assured me that I would be able to keep my data and messaging plan and that the only thing that would change is my phone.

If wrong, then it looks like I'll be going to Sprint.

36 of 80 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:21:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:25:38 AM

{Please keep it courteous}.....forgive and move on

{Please keep it courteous}.....forgive and move on

[ Edited ]
37 of 80 (2,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:26:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by hazys on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:27:47 AM

Just ordered mine on ATT.com.

Same as 808Warrior, they said i had to change the plan (unlimited plan was the default) but i didnt and it stll let me procede with the purchase. So fingers crossed they dont try and do a quick one and change the plan once its activated.

Just ordered mine on ATT.com.

Same as 808Warrior, they said i had to change the plan (unlimited plan was the default) but i didnt and it stll let me procede with the purchase. So fingers crossed they dont try and do a quick one and change the plan once its activated.

[ Edited ]
38 of 80 (2,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:31:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
Also preordered this morning on the AT&T website. When I saw that Unlimited Data would be removed (since I should be grandfathered in), I had a 'what the f' moment. I did a Google search and saw people were reporting that once you get past that screen, you have the option of getting "Unlimited Data for 4S." It's the default option.
Also preordered this morning on the AT&T website. When I saw that Unlimited Data would be removed (since I should be grandfathered in), I had a 'what the f' moment. I did a Google search and saw people were reporting that once you get past that screen, you have the option of getting "Unlimited Data for 4S." It's the default option.

39 of 80 (2,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:45:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
I haven't read all the pages in this thread, but...

I just pre-orded via Apple.com and the Unlimited WAS an option.
I haven't read all the pages in this thread, but...

I just pre-orded via Apple.com and the Unlimited WAS an option.

40 of 80 (2,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:47:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am trying to call about the unlimited plan and cannot get a live person.

41 of 80 (2,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:49:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

I ordered through Apple this morning and it was a breeze (apple store app - which works great btw).  Kept my unlimited plan (it was an option) and the phone will be here on the 14th.  Done and Done. 

I ordered through Apple this morning and it was a breeze (apple store app - which works great btw).  Kept my unlimited plan (it was an option) and the phone will be here on the 14th.  Done and Done. 

42 of 80 (2,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:09:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
I stayed up very late to order, got half way through (selected delivery) then got an error! When I try to go back through it says I need to cancel my order but I don't have one! I called Apple and they said they see the same error for me but can't find an order either! They can't figure out what to do!!!
I stayed up very late to order, got half way through (selected delivery) then got an error! When I try to go back through it says I need to cancel my order but I don't have one! I called Apple and they said they see the same error for me but can't find an order either! They can't figure out what to do!!!

43 of 80 (2,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:42:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

All good with Apple for me -- did the reservation thing around 4am central, got the "complete your order" email around 6am and finished checking out a little while ago (got fed up with it and went to sleep for couple hrs)

My $40 voice and $5 texting plans automatically showed up, asked me to change my data plan but my $30 unlimited was still an option on there so I picked that and then I was done

Shows "will deliver by Oct 14" so they'll probably ship Tues/Wed using 2-3 day shipping -- hopefully theres a shipping warehouse near me so that I can get it a day earlier lol

All good with Apple for me -- did the reservation thing around 4am central, got the "complete your order" email around 6am and finished checking out a little while ago (got fed up with it and went to sleep for couple hrs)

My $40 voice and $5 texting plans automatically showed up, asked me to change my data plan but my $30 unlimited was still an option on there so I picked that and then I was done

Shows "will deliver by Oct 14" so they'll probably ship Tues/Wed using 2-3 day shipping -- hopefully theres a shipping warehouse near me so that I can get it a day earlier lol

44 of 80 (2,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:50:07 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

akoxeno wrote:

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it when you upgrade to the iPhone4S.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

akoxeno wrote:

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it when you upgrade to the iPhone4S.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

45 of 80 (2,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:52:59 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:30:46 AM

Chisand wrote:

Hi Chrisand - Are you seeing this issue while ordering  through apple or through AT&T?

--------------

Chisand wrote:

Hi Chrisand - Are you seeing this issue while ordering  through apple or through AT&T?

--------------

[ Edited ]
46 of 80 (1,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:56:04 AM
(0)
Professor

the Iphone 4 99.99$ today  iseen at one location for  a new iphone4 as a upgrade prices dropped that fast>?

the Iphone 4 99.99$ today  iseen at one location for  a new iphone4 as a upgrade prices dropped that fast>?

hello!!!

47 of 80 (1,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:59:37 AM
(0)
Guru

that would be the new iphone 4 8GB model thats 99.99. the iphone 4 16GB model is still the same in price.

that would be the new iphone 4 8GB model thats 99.99. the iphone 4 16GB model is still the same in price.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

48 of 80 (1,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:37:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I ordered my two phones this morning from apple.com. It was simple and only took 3 mins each line .

Gotta love the grandfathered unlimited. Smiley Happy

M

I ordered my two phones this morning from apple.com. It was simple and only took 3 mins each line .

Gotta love the grandfathered unlimited. Smiley Happy

M

49 of 80 (1,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 10:54:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
I finally got my 4S ordered through Apple, had to go to technical support and get them to force an order for me. They confirmed the unlimited plan, hopefully nothing gets messed up....
I finally got my 4S ordered through Apple, had to go to technical support and get them to force an order for me. They confirmed the unlimited plan, hopefully nothing gets messed up....

50 of 80 (1,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:27:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
Tried it. It says that the iPhone 4S is not compatible with the unlimited data plan that I have.
Tried it. It says that the iPhone 4S is not compatible with the unlimited data plan that I have.

51 of 80 (2,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:35:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

indoeGIRL wrote:

That is so strange. I have an iPhone 4S reserved right now on Apple's website with my unlimited data plan selected. Here is a screenshot of what I see in my sidebar:
Where are you getting the error message?

indoeGIRL wrote:

That is so strange. I have an iPhone 4S reserved right now on Apple's website with my unlimited data plan selected. Here is a screenshot of what I see in my sidebar:
Where are you getting the error message?

52 of 80 (2,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:54:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by koler69 on Oct 7, 2011 at 12:55:41 PM

I had the same problem and ordered it anyways.

Just order it anyway with a random data plan. It doesnt mean anything until you go to activate the phone. When you get the new phone call ATT and tell them not to change your data plan once you activate the new phone. Done and solved!

or you can call them after you order it and tell ATT to change the ne wplan back to unlimited.

Just order it anyway with a random data plan. It doesnt mean anything until you go to activate the phone. When you get the new phone call ATT and tell them not to change your data plan once you activate the new phone. Done and solved!

or you can call them after you order it and tell ATT to change the ne wplan back to unlimited.

[ Edited ]
53 of 80 (2,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:00:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by JaTaN on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:01:50 PM

indoeGIRL wrote:

Apple gave a similar message about selecting a data plan, but they had my existing $30 unlimited plan for me to select so no problem for me

For AT&T I think they're offering to let you switch to the current data plans but if you want to keep your existing plan then dont select any data plan and try to continue or select the "none" option if its available (they dont clarify the "none" but either here or another message board someone said selecting none = no change = keeping existing data plan) -- AT&T is probably trying to confuse people so that they'll switch to the tiered plans and give their unlimited plans

What ever you do just dont select any other data plan if you want to keep your unlimited plan

indoeGIRL wrote:

Apple gave a similar message about selecting a data plan, but they had my existing $30 unlimited plan for me to select so no problem for me

For AT&T I think they're offering to let you switch to the current data plans but if you want to keep your existing plan then dont select any data plan and try to continue or select the "none" option if its available (they dont clarify the "none" but either here or another message board someone said selecting none = no change = keeping existing data plan) -- AT&T is probably trying to confuse people so that they'll switch to the tiered plans and give their unlimited plans

What ever you do just dont select any other data plan if you want to keep your unlimited plan

[ Edited ]
54 of 80 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:21:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wow...this entire board will be in meltdown mode come next Friday.

Wow...this entire board will be in meltdown mode come next Friday.

55 of 80 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:29:44 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

koler69 wrote:

I do not advise you pick a different data plan with the thought to change it later. 

If you have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it while upgrading. You should see that option during your order confirmation. 

--------------

koler69 wrote:

I do not advise you pick a different data plan with the thought to change it later. 

If you have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it while upgrading. You should see that option during your order confirmation. 

--------------

56 of 80 (2,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 2:00:21 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by koler69 on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:02:43 PM

Jamileh, You are correct. I made a mistake. if you do not change your data plan it will default to whatever you currently have(in our cases..unlimited). But if you select a different data plan then it will give youa warning that you are getting rid of the unlimited data plan. The confusion lies with the fact that when many of us go to pre order the new iphoen 4s there is no option saying .."unlimited data". it just notes "Your new device requires a different Data Add-on Plan than you currently have. We selected a compatible Data Add-on Plan for you. If you had an unlimited data plan, you will receive a compatible unlimited data plan. If you want a different plan, you can change the Data Add-on Plan by selecting Change here or from within myAT&T after you receive and activate your new device." So this means they are keeping it as unlimited....I dont think the message was that clear early this morning when I ordered. i beleve it was worded different.

Jamileh, You are correct. I made a mistake. if you do not change your data plan it will default to whatever you currently have(in our cases..unlimited). But if you select a different data plan then it will give youa warning that you are getting rid of the unlimited data plan. The confusion lies with the fact that when many of us go to pre order the new iphoen 4s there is no option saying .."unlimited data". it just notes "Your new device requires a different Data Add-on Plan than you currently have. We selected a compatible Data Add-on Plan for you. If you had an unlimited data plan, you will receive a compatible unlimited data plan. If you want a different plan, you can change the Data Add-on Plan by selecting Change here or from within myAT&T after you receive and activate your new device." So this means they are keeping it as unlimited....I dont think the message was that clear early this morning when I ordered. i beleve it was worded different.

[ Edited ]
57 of 80 (2,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 2:15:57 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Glad to hear you were able to successfully order & thanks for touching  base to let us know. Smiley Happy

--------------

Glad to hear you were able to successfully order & thanks for touching  base to let us know. Smiley Happy

--------------

58 of 80 (2,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 2:16:59 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

indoeGIRL wrote:

Are you still seeing the same issue or are you able to complete the order with your unlimited data plan?

--------------

indoeGIRL wrote:

Are you still seeing the same issue or are you able to complete the order with your unlimited data plan?

--------------

59 of 80 (2,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:26:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by kevre on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:27:23 PM

I pre-ordered this morning, upgrading from an iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4s.

I was able to select the "Iphone 4s Unlimited Data" to replace my "iPhone Unlimited Data."  That was no problem.

I didn't see the option to keep my text plan however, which my AT&T rep promised me just yesterday that I could keep.  I was told to just select "none" and that it would keep my old 200 texts for $5 plan.  If that turns out to not be true, I'll have to choose another company.  I send very, very few texts each month, easily less than 30.  I shouldn't have to pay $20 to get "unlimited mobile to mobile" when my plan already has that (grandfathered in from a promo) and unlimited texts that I wont use.

When I get the phone and try to activate it, I'll be sure they let me keep that plan.  If not, AT&T loses my entire account, both wireless and Internet. 'Nuff said. This really shouldn't be so convoluted- I can't believe AT&T wasn't more prepared for this by providing a clear a concise explanation of what was going on.  It'd be a LOT cheaper than what they're going to spendon phone support today!

I'm assuming the "Community Manager" jamileh is actually affiliated with AT&T somehow and can clarify.

I pre-ordered this morning, upgrading from an iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4s.

I was able to select the "Iphone 4s Unlimited Data" to replace my "iPhone Unlimited Data."  That was no problem.

I didn't see the option to keep my text plan however, which my AT&T rep promised me just yesterday that I could keep.  I was told to just select "none" and that it would keep my old 200 texts for $5 plan.  If that turns out to not be true, I'll have to choose another company.  I send very, very few texts each month, easily less than 30.  I shouldn't have to pay $20 to get "unlimited mobile to mobile" when my plan already has that (grandfathered in from a promo) and unlimited texts that I wont use.

When I get the phone and try to activate it, I'll be sure they let me keep that plan.  If not, AT&T loses my entire account, both wireless and Internet. 'Nuff said. This really shouldn't be so convoluted- I can't believe AT&T wasn't more prepared for this by providing a clear a concise explanation of what was going on.  It'd be a LOT cheaper than what they're going to spendon phone support today!

I'm assuming the "Community Manager" jamileh is actually affiliated with AT&T somehow and can clarify.

[ Edited ]
60 of 80 (2,580 Views)