iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

Contributor

iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

I currently have an iPhone 3GS with grandfathered in unlimited data plan for $30. I'm planning on upgrading to the 4s. Anyone know if I can keep the unlimited plan or if I'll be forced to switch to one of the current data plans? I would like to preorder my iPhone on oct 7 from the apple website but can't find anywhere any mention about the data plans
Message 1 of 80 (29,592 Views)
Former Employee

Re: iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

You can keep your unlimited data plan.

Message 2 of 80 (29,582 Views)
Professor

There has been no information that AT&T is changing their policy on unlimited data plans, so until they officially announce a change, I'd say you still get to keep it.
Message 3 of 80 (29,359 Views)
Tutor

I just called Apple to ask basically the same thing. Apple said that as long as we never change from the unlimited plan we can keep it BUT the unlimited plan is not an option for preorder! He claimed that you have to go into an Apple store on the 14th or later to get the phone. He said there is no way to preorder and keep the unlimited plan!
Message 4 of 80 (29,158 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Well I was going to order from Apple tomorrow since the closest store is over an hour away from me, but hearing that I dont think I will since I have the unlimited data plan on my 3GS.  Has anyone else heard this to be true?

Message 5 of 80 (29,093 Views)
Professor

The unlimited data plan really has nothing to do with Apple, it's a carrier specific thing. When I preordered my 4 via the ATT Premier web site last year, it gave me the option of keeping unlimited.
Message 6 of 80 (29,061 Views)
Master

You activate your phone after you get it not at the time or placing the order.  The placing of the order on an existing account should have not impact as you can also keep voice plans that are no longer offered.  Data should not be any different.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 80 (29,057 Views)
Mentor

So I should be good to go ordering from Apple?  Is it easier to order from them than ATT?

Message 8 of 80 (28,962 Views)
Tutor

I never preordered before but the Apple CS person I spoke to said that when I do I will have to select a data plan and since the unlimited is not a current plan it is not an option. He also made a point to say that if I went through with it and got assigned to another data plan then there is no way to go back to unlimited! Hopefully he is wrong but it's what he told me...
Message 9 of 80 (28,919 Views)
Contributor

For what it's worth, I just spoke with a rep from ATT and she said you can pre-order the phone from the ATT website and there will be an option to keep the unlimited data plan. 

Message 10 of 80 (28,854 Views)
Tutor

I wonder when you would get a preorder from ATT? I understood that Apple preorders usually get delivered on release date if they are ordered early enough.
Maybe I'll try calling Apple again and see if I get a different answer.
Message 11 of 80 (22,085 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the iPhone 3GS with an unlimited data plan and i want to get the new iPhone 4Gs and keep my unlimited plan,

I want to preorder tomorrow so i wanted to test the online upgrade option. So when i try upgrading to the 4G phone it says i have to change my data plan...is this true? it doesnt look like it gives me any option to keep the unlimited data plan.

Can i preorder in an AT&T store and keep my unlimited data plan? bcos it doesnt look like the website will let me do it.

EDIT: i was wrong when upgrading to the 4G it lets me keep my unlimited plan, fingers crossed i'll be able to pre-order the 4GS online and keep the plan without any hassle.

Message 12 of 80 (22,014 Views)
Professor

Since there is no 4G or 4GS, you will not be upgrading to either non-existent device.

The newest iPhone is a 4S.  It helps to use correct terminology.

Message 13 of 80 (22,011 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stop being a [please keep it courteous]  You know what Hazys meant.  

Message 14 of 80 (21,955 Views)
Tutor

I called Apple again and spoke to another Person who basically said the same thing. He said that the unlimited data doesn't appear in their system so I will be pushed into a current plan. He suggested talking to ATT and make sure they are willing and able to switch me back.
I called ATT and they were absolutely clueless!!! The person said he thought I could keep the unlimited data and they don't do preorders and won't sell it until the 14th. He said if I preorder from Apple I can talk to them after and they can see what they can do! How's that for a clear definitive answer! Oh yeah he also tried to sell me an ATT Universe package! I wonder if Verizon or Sprint has better CS....
Message 15 of 80 (21,850 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support