Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 5, 2011
8:00:14 PM
View profile
iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan
I currently have an iPhone 3GS with grandfathered in unlimited data plan for $30. I'm planning on upgrading to the 4s. Anyone know if I can keep the unlimited plan or if I'll be forced to switch to one of the current data plans? I would like to preorder my iPhone on oct 7 from the apple website but can't find anywhere any mention about the data plans
I currently have an iPhone 3GS with grandfathered in unlimited data plan for $30. I'm planning on upgrading to the 4s. Anyone know if I can keep the unlimited plan or if I'll be forced to switch to one of the current data plans? I would like to preorder my iPhone on oct 7 from the apple website but can't find anywhere any mention about the data plans

iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

79 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:47:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

kevre wrote:

I pre-ordered this morning, upgrading from an iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4s.

I was able to select the "Iphone 4s Unlimited Data" to replace my "iPhone Unlimited Data."  That was no problem.

I didn't see the option to keep my text plan however, which my AT&T rep promised me just yesterday that I could keep.  I was told to just select "none" and that it would keep my old 200 texts for $5 plan.  If that turns out to not be true, I'll have to choose another company.  I send very, very few texts each month, easily less than 30.  I shouldn't have to pay $20 to get "unlimited mobile to mobile" when my plan already has that (grandfathered in from a promo) and unlimited texts that I wont use.

When I get the phone and try to activate it, I'll be sure they let me keep that plan.  If not, AT&T loses my entire account, both wireless and Internet. 'Nuff said. This really shouldn't be so convoluted- I can't believe AT&T wasn't more prepared for this by providing a clear a concise explanation of what was going on.  It'd be a LOT cheaper than what they're going to spendon phone support today!

I'm assuming the "Community Manager" jamileh is actually affiliated with AT&T somehow and can clarify.

As long as you didnt pick the unlimited texting then you should be fine -- if for some reason you do end up losing the $5 plan then you dont need to go to the $20 plan. You can always have no messaging plan and just pay for whatever you use (only the data plan is required for iPhones, not the messaging plan)

kevre wrote:

I was able to select the "Iphone 4s Unlimited Data" to replace my "iPhone Unlimited Data."  That was no problem.

I didn't see the option to keep my text plan however, which my AT&T rep promised me just yesterday that I could keep.  I was told to just select "none" and that it would keep my old 200 texts for $5 plan.  If that turns out to not be true, I'll have to choose another company.  I send very, very few texts each month, easily less than 30.  I shouldn't have to pay $20 to get "unlimited mobile to mobile" when my plan already has that (grandfathered in from a promo) and unlimited texts that I wont use.

When I get the phone and try to activate it, I'll be sure they let me keep that plan.  If not, AT&T loses my entire account, both wireless and Internet. 'Nuff said. This really shouldn't be so convoluted- I can't believe AT&T wasn't more prepared for this by providing a clear a concise explanation of what was going on.  It'd be a LOT cheaper than what they're going to spendon phone support today!

I'm assuming the "Community Manager" jamileh is actually affiliated with AT&T somehow and can clarify.

As long as you didnt pick the unlimited texting then you should be fine -- if for some reason you do end up losing the $5 plan then you dont need to go to the $20 plan. You can always have no messaging plan and just pay for whatever you use (only the data plan is required for iPhones, not the messaging plan)

Re: iPhone 4s and unlimited data plan

61 of 80 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:41:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

JaTaN wrote:

I verified with Business Customer Support that our unlimited data plans will carry over, as will our Family unlimited messaging and Family plan, desipte misleading information to the contrary in the ordering process.

From what I have been told, when upgrading it is best to leave the defaults that the process comes up with alone, just click through with continue. As long as you do not change anything, you will keep whatever you had previously.

JaTaN wrote:

I verified with Business Customer Support that our unlimited data plans will carry over, as will our Family unlimited messaging and Family plan, desipte misleading information to the contrary in the ordering process.

From what I have been told, when upgrading it is best to leave the defaults that the process comes up with alone, just click through with continue. As long as you do not change anything, you will keep whatever you had previously.

62 of 80 (1,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:56:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

dww0311 wrote:

JaTaN wrote:

I did just that and my unlimited plan now says it is going to expire on 11/29.  Hope you're right.

dww0311 wrote:

JaTaN wrote:

I did just that and my unlimited plan now says it is going to expire on 11/29.  Hope you're right.

63 of 80 (1,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:59:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

jamileh wrote:

akoxeno wrote:

I am trying to call about the unlimited plan and cannot get a live person.

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it when you upgrade to the iPhone4S.

Why am I seeing an expiration date of 11/29 for my Unlimited for iPhone plan then? Will this be transitioned to an Unlimited for iPhone 4S plan?

jamileh wrote:

akoxeno wrote:

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it when you upgrade to the iPhone4S.

Why am I seeing an expiration date of 11/29 for my Unlimited for iPhone plan then? Will this be transitioned to an Unlimited for iPhone 4S plan?

64 of 80 (1,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:20:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

truthiness wrote:

jamileh wrote:

akoxeno wrote:

Where do you see the exp date? I want to check mine

truthiness wrote:

jamileh wrote:

akoxeno wrote:

Where do you see the exp date? I want to check mine

65 of 80 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:07:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

your features page on your online account.

your features page on your online account.

66 of 80 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:12:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have no expiration date on my unlimited data plan, for any of my iPhones.

I have no expiration date on my unlimited data plan, for any of my iPhones.

67 of 80 (1,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:25:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

Found more info on it on another forum, basically AT&T is just going to be changing the data plan name to include "4S" in it so your "unlimited iPhone" plan will be renamed to "unlimited iPhone 4S" plan

Mine doesnt show it -- I ordered from Apple and they let me select a $30 unlimited plan (my guess is the renamed one)

Found more info on it on another forum, basically AT&T is just going to be changing the data plan name to include "4S" in it so your "unlimited iPhone" plan will be renamed to "unlimited iPhone 4S" plan

Mine doesnt show it -- I ordered from Apple and they let me select a $30 unlimited plan (my guess is the renamed one)

68 of 80 (1,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:31:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

I had the same experience. The option that was prepopulated was "Data Plan for iPhone". I just left that alone and completed the order.

Business Customer Support confirmed that was my existing plan that had just been prefilled on the upgrade page. It didn't make any changes to either our rate plan, shared unlimited messaging or unlimited data plans on all of our iPhones.

I had the same experience. The option that was prepopulated was "Data Plan for iPhone". I just left that alone and completed the order.

Business Customer Support confirmed that was my existing plan that had just been prefilled on the upgrade page. It didn't make any changes to either our rate plan, shared unlimited messaging or unlimited data plans on all of our iPhones.

69 of 80 (1,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 1:10:57 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Oct 9, 2011 at 1:11:44 AM

Yes, Jam is an ATT employee.  ATT employees are also required to have this signature:

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Look on the Wireless home page for more info, right side--News & Highlights.

kevre wrote:

Yes, Jam is an ATT employee.  ATT employees are also required to have this signature:

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Look on the Wireless home page for more info, right side--News & Highlights.

kevre wrote:

[ Edited ]
70 of 80 (1,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 11:47:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am switching to Verizon this week and still have an unlimited data plan with my iPhone 4 on ATT. If anyone wants it, I can transfer the account to him/her (not the phone number, just the account).

Let me know.

I am switching to Verizon this week and still have an unlimited data plan with my iPhone 4 on ATT. If anyone wants it, I can transfer the account to him/her (not the phone number, just the account).

Let me know.

71 of 80 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 11:55:02 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:55:23 AM

vince83 wrote:

Let me know.

Not sure you can just transfer your unlimited data plan to someone else, especially someone with a different number.

vince83 wrote:

Let me know.

Not sure you can just transfer your unlimited data plan to someone else, especially someone with a different number.

[ Edited ]
72 of 80 (1,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 11:57:12 AM
(0)
Expert

I was going to ask if that's even possible?  Wouldn't you have to be an added line on someone's acct.?

I was going to ask if that's even possible?  Wouldn't you have to be an added line on someone's acct.?

73 of 80 (1,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 12:00:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

No. I can just take out my number and add ANY number on my account, be it an ATT or any other provider's. As long as I keep the account, they will let me keep the unlimited data plan.

No. I can just take out my number and add ANY number on my account, be it an ATT or any other provider's. As long as I keep the account, they will let me keep the unlimited data plan.

74 of 80 (1,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 12:06:45 PM
(0)
Former Employee

vince83 wrote:

Not true. Your unlimited data plan is tied to that specific line (number), not to the account. Even if you had another number on your account, I'm pretty sure you would not be able to transfer the unlimited data plan to it.

vince83 wrote:

Not true. Your unlimited data plan is tied to that specific line (number), not to the account. Even if you had another number on your account, I'm pretty sure you would not be able to transfer the unlimited data plan to it.

75 of 80 (1,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 8:10:47 PM
(0)
Professor

the Unlimite goes away when you give the service up. a friend of mine transfered her account to another person in her family. she lost her unlimited data plan this is what she told me.

the Unlimite goes away when you give the service up. a friend of mine transfered her account to another person in her family. she lost her unlimited data plan this is what she told me.

hello!!!

76 of 80 (1,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 4:02:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well it appears that if you have the unlimited plan  and you become one of the top five percent of the the users they will slow (throttle) your speed.  If you purchase a tierred plan (3GB or 5GB) then you remain at the top speed, but of couse pay more and pay for any overages..

I question this:  Unlimited is unlimited.  No speed reduction.  If you purchase a new plan?  What? The unlimited was a purchased plan....it should remain as purchased.  Grandfathered yes, as in its original state.  If you cut the service then the agreement is not being met...right?  They send a message to you and tell you they are cutting your speed.  When you call their office to question it, they say to buy a tierred plan we reduce your speed.  Ummm does anyone else see something wrong with this?  ATT is big, dependable,. and the best service around BUT if they are trying to force a change to their unlimited plan then what does that do to their reputation.  Be careful.  Do not use your UNLIMTED plan to much...or you will be at a snails pace.  

Well it appears that if you have the unlimited plan  and you become one of the top five percent of the the users they will slow (throttle) your speed.  If you purchase a tierred plan (3GB or 5GB) then you remain at the top speed, but of couse pay more and pay for any overages..

I question this:  Unlimited is unlimited.  No speed reduction.  If you purchase a new plan?  What? The unlimited was a purchased plan....it should remain as purchased.  Grandfathered yes, as in its original state.  If you cut the service then the agreement is not being met...right?  They send a message to you and tell you they are cutting your speed.  When you call their office to question it, they say to buy a tierred plan we reduce your speed.  Ummm does anyone else see something wrong with this?  ATT is big, dependable,. and the best service around BUT if they are trying to force a change to their unlimited plan then what does that do to their reputation.  Be careful.  Do not use your UNLIMTED plan to much...or you will be at a snails pace.  

77 of 80 (943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 4:57:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
As was posted many times on this forum, there is a "fair use policy" in your contract. Unlimited is only as unlimited as AT&T says it is.
When AT&T started unlimited data, there wasn't netflix, satellite radio and all the other high use data items. Therefore, the have now enforced the "fair use policy" in your contract. If AT&T determines that 2 GB is fair use unless you pay for more, then according to the contract, they have the contract verbage to do what they want when you exceed what they determine is your "unlimited" amount of data.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
As was posted many times on this forum, there is a "fair use policy" in your contract. Unlimited is only as unlimited as AT&T says it is.
When AT&T started unlimited data, there wasn't netflix, satellite radio and all the other high use data items. Therefore, the have now enforced the "fair use policy" in your contract. If AT&T determines that 2 GB is fair use unless you pay for more, then according to the contract, they have the contract verbage to do what they want when you exceed what they determine is your "unlimited" amount of data.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

78 of 80 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 4:59:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

sadtail wrote:

Somehow you missed the raging discussion on this last week, and the many threads discussing it from every possible angle, and the press releases (in OCTOBER) from AT&T, and the press since.

There is nothing wrong with this. This is how for profit companies work.

sadtail wrote:

Somehow you missed the raging discussion on this last week, and the many threads discussing it from every possible angle, and the press releases (in OCTOBER) from AT&T, and the press since.

There is nothing wrong with this. This is how for profit companies work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

79 of 80 (935 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 5:43:59 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

80 of 80 (929 Views)