Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 18, 2012
10:44:51 PM
View profile
iPhone 4s and it auto switching to 4G while in WiFi during TV shows

Hi, I recently gave myself a new iPhone 4S and of course immediately began seeing what it could do and one of those things was to watch a couple of current NCIS TV shows and the next day i recieved an email telling me that i was almost already through my big 200GB which I have never done before with my iPhone 3Gs as i am always home usually and enjoy a 20Mbps connection which gives me download speeds of 5Mbps at times but the WiFi I have it automatically connect5ing through through a Netgear 600MB Wireless (WNDR3700 v2) which i believe is a 5Ghz connection.

I looked through all of the settings but couln't find anywhere that i could turn off the phone automatically going to 4G while i am inside my apartment so if anyone has any knowledge of what might be happening and/or what i can do about it i would be mighty grateful.  I am pretty much home bound these days and don't want to have to upgrade to the exhorbitant fees ATT has for more data when that sure isn't my need at all. having this speedy little comcast one.  Thanks in advance...

Hi, I recently gave myself a new iPhone 4S and of course immediately began seeing what it could do and one of those things was to watch a couple of current NCIS TV shows and the next day i recieved an email telling me that i was almost already through my big 200GB which I have never done before with my iPhone 3Gs as i am always home usually and enjoy a 20Mbps connection which gives me download speeds of 5Mbps at times but the WiFi I have it automatically connect5ing through through a Netgear 600MB Wireless (WNDR3700 v2) which i believe is a 5Ghz connection.

I looked through all of the settings but couln't find anywhere that i could turn off the phone automatically going to 4G while i am inside my apartment so if anyone has any knowledge of what might be happening and/or what i can do about it i would be mighty grateful.  I am pretty much home bound these days and don't want to have to upgrade to the exhorbitant fees ATT has for more data when that sure isn't my need at all. having this speedy little comcast one.  Thanks in advance...

iPhone 4s and it auto switching to 4G while in WiFi during TV shows

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2012 5:26:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Go to "Settings" - "General" - "Network" - "Cellular Data" - switch to "Off".
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Go to "Settings" - "General" - "Network" - "Cellular Data" - switch to "Off".
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 4s and it auto switching to 4G while in WiFi during TV shows

2 of 4 (21,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2012 6:43:08 AM
(0)
Guru

I believe you mean 200mb NOT 200GB. You might consider upgrading your data plan.

I believe you mean 200mb NOT 200GB. You might consider upgrading your data plan.

3 of 4 (21,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 5:55:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:55:49 AM

ViZitor wrote:

When you are under wifi coverage, the phone will drop wifi if NOT on AC changer after about 15 minutes on standby.

As soon as you turn on the iphone, it will reconnect. This assumes that the wifi connection itself isn't having internet connectivity problems.

So, you can plug your iPhone into its charger. Or you can turn off cellular data when you don't want to use cellular data. 

ViZitor wrote:

When you are under wifi coverage, the phone will drop wifi if NOT on AC changer after about 15 minutes on standby.

As soon as you turn on the iphone, it will reconnect. This assumes that the wifi connection itself isn't having internet connectivity problems.

So, you can plug your iPhone into its charger. Or you can turn off cellular data when you don't want to use cellular data. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (20,887 Views)