iPhone 4s Upgrade - Bad Experience

Highlighted
Contributor

iPhone 4s Upgrade - Bad Experience

My apologies if this isn't exactly the right section to post this complaint. I scoured the website looking for a feedback email / form but I've dumped too much time in to this at this point.

I recently decided to upgrade my aging 3GS to a 4s. I contacted AT&T Customer Service by phone to verify a few things (needed to confirm I could use the phone on my line if I used an upgrade available on a different line) and they talked me in to buying the upgrade with them at that time. I opted for the most affordable option; the iPhone 4s 16GB refurb. I've never had issues with refurbs in the past and I know apple refurbs need to meet certain guidelines to be resold (as the warranty is normally reset on them). I was happy with the upgrade and couldn't have been more excited when I got the phone and started using it. It was everything I hoped for and the whole upgrade experience was completely painless. Until...

I used the phone for a day or so and the battery life seemed... poor. I was going from 100% to 30% in about 4hrs of listening to music (it varied in severity but that was the worst). I followed all the tips... I updated to IOS 5.1... I disabled Bluetooth/GPS... reset network settings... nothing worked. There was obviously a battery problem of some kind (and the thing was getting surprisngly hot!). I called AT&T and they sent me to Apple. Apple offered to get me in for service at a local store but something really bothered me about the interaction. They told me I only had 200 days left on my warranty. They then explained to me that it appeared that AT&T had screwed up and failed to reset the warranty status of the device prior to reselling it as a refurb. This left me wondering what else they failed to do prior to reselling it as a refurb (like checking for obvious HW issues like a bad battery). Apple told me the only way to get my warranty fixed was to contact AT&T.

I called AT&T... got transferred around between departments a few times... then I was told I would need to either buy another phone or wait a few weeks to receive my replacement. They will not allow me to walk down to my local AT&T store to get it swapped out. I am also given NO guarantees that I wouldn't receive ANOTHER phone that wasn't "refurbed" properly. I'm visciously disappointed and annoyed by this poInt (and wondering just how convoluted the communication is between departments of a single company that they can't call my local AT&T store to help me out). AT&T had royally screwed up my upgrade so I have to either float them another chunk of cash or I have to wait a few weeks to get a replacement. Yuck.

I'm so sick with the situation at this point that I'm dropping the phone in the mail back to AT&T and I plan on slowly transferring my family service to another carrier as each line's contract expires.

Moral of the story... don't buy your phones/upgrades over the phone. I might have avoided facing the dark depths of AT&T's incompetence if I had just walked down to the little AT&T store where they got me my last upgrade.

Message 1 of 1
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support