Ask a question

Posted Oct 19, 2011
    8:52:16 PM
    View profile
    iPhone 4s Battery issues

Hello,

Finally after 4 years I was very excited to get an iPhone that has all the features I wanted…but I am disappointed so far.

I purchase an iPhone 4S 32GB on 10/7 and has not been impressed with the battery life. I have to charge my iPhone at least 3 times a day. I go to work at 8 AM and by 11:30 AM the battery is at 20 %, so I charge it again which takes only about 60 to 120 minutes to charge, and by 5:30 I have to start charging again…the third charge has start around 11:30 PM and I have to keep the phone plugged overnight otherwise it will be dead by 6 AM.

I have read other posts on the web and people have suggested turning notifications, location services…etc which I went ahead and did but that did not change the battery issue. I would like to mention here…what is the purpose of all the options on the phone if you have to keep everything turned off.

I always try to kill apps that running in background but still no fix to battery issue.

Today I went to Apple store and exchanged the phone with new one. The apple rep activated the phone for me and the charge was at 78 %. I left the store and 10 minutes later I was at my house, but again I was surprised to see the battery has drooped to 65 % within 10 minutes.

When I got home I plugged the phone and when it was charge at 100 % I unplugged it and 40 minutes later the battery dropped to 70 %.

I am given this phone 2 more days and if the battery continue to be an issue I have no option but to return it and re-active my old phone. Having to charge a phone 3 times a day defeats the purpose of having a wireless phone.

It seemed that a lot of users are have similar issue. Not sure if the issue related to iOS 5, iPhone or bad batch of iPhone or iPhone batteries.

Thanks.....B

iPhone 4s Battery issues

31 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (31)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 7:45:46 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I unplugged my iPhone 4s at 8:20 this morning with 100% and by 10:43 AM I am down to 63%. I have turned everything off such notifications, locations services, nothing in the background is working and I only used it for 10 minute conversation.

I am going to return it back today to Apple store and wait few more months before buying another phone. I am starting to think that there is something with either the iOS, the phone hardware or the battery.

Re: iPhone 4s Battery issues

2 of 32 (1,327 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 8:09:52 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

My wife's phone just got charged for the first time since launch day.  It sat in her purse since  for the most part except for a few texts and calls. She has the 16gig.  I have the 32 and use it heavily.  Where I work there are NO cell signal so the phone constantly is searching and eating up the battery.  Still I can usually make it through the day on one charge.  ...so something isn't quite right.  I would suspect GPS, had you not mentioned turning it off.  I am at a loss... Good luck.

3 of 32 (1,314 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 8:50:07 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I don't think it is GPS since my Locations Services is set to Off and both Siri and GPS are under this settings.  There has to be something that is causing the battery to drain fast. I am starting to think it might be a batch of bad phones or batteries.

4 of 32 (1,293 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 3:16:17 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

have you turned off wifi. and when you are in a spot with no cell coverage did you turn off 3g so it only finds 2g?

5 of 32 (1,219 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 3:20:58 PM
    (0)
    Professor

well my battery life is kind of short,but i use the WiFi all dya to listen to pandora radio. from 7am to  12pm my battery will hit 62% from 12:30 to 2:30pm il be at 50% so thats pretty good.then i will  charge it back up.

hello!!!

6 of 32 (1,213 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 4:42:21 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

I have read a lot of posts and I think I might have found why the battery is draining fast. One of the post a user suggested to turn off push for email. Currently I have 2 email accounts setup on my phone: hotmail and our exchange.  Once I disabled Push and set Fetch to Manual I no longer had issue with my battery and now it takes an hour or so to drop 1%. I am not sure if Push should be disabled or there is bug with the phone, because my friend has an iphone 4 and has 1 email acccount (hotmail) and it is set for Push, but he does not have any battery issues at all.

Anyone has more than email account on iPhone 4S with Push and not having battery issues? 

7 of 32 (1,184 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 4:48:15 PM
    (0)
    Master
    If push is the problem, the server needs to be tweaked as push should use less power for email than fetch. I would say iCloud might still need some tweaking. I am having some issues with my iPhone 4 running iOS 5. Under MobileMe, I didi pretty good with my battery.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

8 of 32 (1,179 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 4:52:00 PM
    (0)
    Master

I'm getting 7.5 usage hours and over a day and a half of standby time on my iPhone 4S, which is fine for me. One of my coworkers is only getting half of this, so I do believe that a iOS update will be needed to correct the battery issue for those that are having one.

9 of 32 (1,176 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 20, 2011 5:05:55 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by thively on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:08:38 PM

The problem isn't push, it isn't leaving wifi on, it's none of that.  I'm got the 4S and upgraded from an iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 had GREAT battery life.  I could go all day with that.  The 4S drops even when I'm not using it. There HAS to be a bug in the OS.  Maybe there is some optimization that they didn't have time to finish for the A5 chip before release.

I remain cautiously optomistic that Apple is aware of this and is (or might have) a fix for this and we'll see software update soon that fixes it (once they're done doing all of the QA testing.)

I have the 4S configured pretty much the same was as the iPhone 4.  I even went and turned off wifi, location, and bluetooth a nd it didn't seem to make a difference.  No, I won't turn off 3G that's never an option since EDGE data doesn't really work.

iPhone batteries, when new, don't get great battery life until you've used them about a week and gone through the first 10 charge cycles or so.  But I'm past that point where it should be getting better and it's just as dismal as the first day I had it.

Apple HAS to address this (that is I mean they almost surely will) some how and I'm pretty sure they will.  Their employees use them too and they have to be feeling the pain.  The question is if/when they patch the software, how much better will it actually be?

They advertise better battery life than iPhone 4 and I'm actually seeing maybe 1/2 iPhone 4. 

I have also noticed it getting warm when not even using it (so has my wife) and we didn't experience that with the 4.  Something is eating up power when it shouldn't.

[ Edited ]
    10 of 32 (1,164 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 9:20:11 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I think the issue is related to email/push settings from my experience so far.

Originally I had the settings set to Push and Manual. Once I changed the settings to Push off and manual I no longer had issue with my battery. It took 7 hours to go down 1% and that with WiFi on, all notifications enabled, and apps running in background.

I checked with my friends and co-workers who have iPhone 4 (none had the 4S) and some with iOS 5 and others with iOS4. Their settings for Push is set to ON and schedule for Hourly. None of them had battery issues.

I went ahead and turned Push on for my iPhone 4S and changed the schedule to hourly. Once I made the changes the battery started to drain very fast, it went down from 90% to 83% within 30 minutes.

I am not sure what is going anymore, but I think there is bug with the iOS 5 on the new 4S phones.

11 of 32 (879 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 11:49:46 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

bluem1 wrote:

I think the issue is related to email/push settings from my experience so far.

Originally I had the settings set to Push and Manual. Once I changed the settings to Push off and manual I no longer had issue with my battery. It took 7 hours to go down 1% and that with WiFi on, all notifications enabled, and apps running in background.

I checked with my friends and co-workers who have iPhone 4 (none had the 4S) and some with iOS 5 and others with iOS4. Their settings for Push is set to ON and schedule for Hourly. None of them had battery issues.

I went ahead and turned Push on for my iPhone 4S and changed the schedule to hourly. Once I made the changes the battery started to drain very fast, it went down from 90% to 83% within 30 minutes.

I am not sure what is going anymore, but I think there is bug with the iOS 5 on the new 4S phones.

hmmm  My 4S pushes email every 15 minutes.  My battery life is pretty good.  Hope you figure this out.

12 of 32 (852 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 4:27:04 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I have a 64GB 4S and I am another one that has had no battery issues. Does it drain faster than my iPhone 4? Sure but that is expected with the new hardware. You never mentioned if you tried a full restore rather than restoring a backup but I have heard that corrects the issue for some people.

Hope it gets worked out, I am sure that is very annoying.

13 of 32 (823 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 4:34:42 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    If this is a real problem, it must be 4S hardware specific. I upgraded to iOS5 on my iPhone 4 and haven't really noticed a change in battery life. I've got WiFi and BT on all of the time, and push and any automatic data functions or apps turned off.

One thing I've always done on every new iPhone that I've owned is very early on to charge the battery fully, and then completely drain it (down below 10% at least, all the way to won't turn on is best) before charging it fully again. Then I just charge as needed and I've never had a battery problem, even with my 3G which I had for 2 years before I upgraded to the 4.

14 of 32 (819 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 4:50:24 PM
    (0)
    Guru

I am using push mail.  It was never an issue on the iPhone 4.  I'm going to try using it without push mail for a while and see if I can confirm this.

Thanks.

15 of 32 (808 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 6:14:43 PM
    (0)
    Master

dwill05 wrote:
    If this is a real problem, it must be 4S hardware specific. I upgraded to iOS5 on my iPhone 4 and haven't really noticed a change in battery life. I've got WiFi and BT on all of the time, and push and any automatic data functions or apps turned off.

One thing I've always done on every new iPhone that I've owned is very early on to charge the battery fully, and then completely drain it (down below 10% at least, all the way to won't turn on is best) before charging it fully again. Then I just charge as needed and I've never had a battery problem, even with my 3G which I had for 2 years before I upgraded to the 4.

I still think that it is software related as I have read a lot of people complaining that the battery life on their iPhone 4 has been awful after updating to iOS 5. It's happened before and Apple corrected the problem with an iOS update. 

16 of 32 (796 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 6:29:11 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Info from Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I didn't have a 4, but the battery life of the 4S compared to the 3GS is like night and day. I used my phone for 2 days without charging it. Granted, I did mostly texting and very little phone usage, but I did stream a good bit of music and use pretty data heavy apps, most of the time on 3G. It was similar usage to my 3GS, which wouldn't last from morning to mid-afternoon with a full charge. For the improvement in performance, I am thoroughly impressed with the battery life. I guess when you skip a generation, the difference is more apparent.

17 of 32 (791 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 6:33:51 PM
    (0)
    Master

browski wrote:

Info from Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I didn't have a 4, but the battery life of the 4S compared to the 3GS is like night and day. I used my phone for 2 days without charging it. Granted, I did mostly texting and very little phone usage, but I did stream a good bit of music and use pretty data heavy apps, most of the time on 3G. It was similar usage to my 3GS, which wouldn't last from morning to mid-afternoon with a full charge. For the improvement in performance, I am thoroughly impressed with the battery life. I guess when you skip a generation, the difference is more apparent.

I am also one of the lucky ones that is getting over a day and a half out of a charge, however, Apple still needs to address this issue for those that are having a problem. 

18 of 32 (784 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2011 7:48:10 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

One of the geeks at work told me the first few times you charge the battery, it doesn't last as long.  I remember you used to have to completely drain one and then recharge it the first few times, but that's probably not the batteries they make nowadays.

19 of 32 (771 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 3:35:32 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by WhiteTiger686 on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:36:38 AM

xsrvx wrote:

I have a 64GB 4S and I am another one that has had no battery issues. Does it drain faster than my iPhone 4? Sure but that is expected with the new hardware. You never mentioned if you tried a full restore rather than restoring a backup but I have heard that corrects the issue for some people.

Hope it gets worked out, I am sure that is very annoying.

Why is it to be expected? Apple clearly states the battery life is better than the 4 in the specs of the 4S. So if it isn't they should address the problem.

[ Edited ]
    20 of 32 (732 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 5:00:20 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Somme of Apple's battery specs get better with the 4S, some got worse, and some stayed the same. Apple's claimed battery time for standby dropped from 300 hrs in the 4 to 200 hrs in the 4S, but talk time on 3G and internet use on WiFi went up 1 hour. Think the rest stayed the same.

21 of 32 (848 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 6:33:13 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    These batteries don't have "memory" like the older ones. No need to let it die to zero before recharging. I wish that was the answer though. I'll return it before 30 days if no fix is made.

22 of 32 (829 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 8:52:02 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    My wife doesn't use any push mail (push setting is off) and she is getting fast battery drain. Last night she was playing music wirelessly over bluetooth to the Jambox. Normally in iphone 4 with ios4 this was not a poroblem. But lasy night on iphone 4s the battery dropped like a rock. So now I'm suspecting bluetooth. I'm going to try to turn bluetootj off and see what happens.

23 of 32 (813 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 1:09:23 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by bluem1 on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:13:04 PM

so far on my iphone that only thing that causes my battery to drain is the push settings. When Push is off, I have everything else turned on, bluetooth, notifications, location services, wifi, browse internet, apps running in background and my battery is holding charge.

another thing that does not make sense to me....why apple dropped the stand by time from 400 to 300 hours and increase talk time? do they think that users are talking on the phone for 6 straigh hours....really strange. I think apple should be more focused on increasing standby time which impacts everything else.

[ Edited ]
    24 of 32 (785 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 1:13:16 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by bluem1 on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:15:45 PM
    thively........I have bluetooth on all day and that is not causing my battery to drain. I would check the settings on your wife's phone and make sure to set the fetch to hourly. When I turned Push off and set fetch to 30 minutes or less the battery continued to drain fast, only when I set fetch to hourly helped my battery.

[ Edited ]
    25 of 32 (782 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2011 4:09:31 PM
    (0)
    Master

I was having some battery issues on my iPhone 4.  What I ended up doing was using phoneview to extract some of the important files from the Documents folder of certain apps that I wanted to ensure I had saved my progress aka Angry Birds!.  I then noted what apps I had and where they were located on my iPhone.  Then I restored my iPhone as "new" then started to install my apps back and upload my select data files usuing phoneview.  It took awhile but it apears to be going good.  

I think that if you restored your backup from a previous model to a new phone and with the upgrade to iOS 5 and the changes to the notifcation system, something gets stuck and a new install is the only way to fix it.  It has been only a few hours but we will see.  I have noticed that some apps that previously had notifications that were not there in iOS 5 were still listed on my iPhone before the update but now they are not; and the app did not request to send me notifications either when I reinstalled them.  I think these apps may have been using the battery to find an update server that has changed or is no-longer present.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

26 of 32 (757 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 23, 2011 5:34:49 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Few simple things I've learned that WILL help. Press home button twice and apps and other programs pull up. Those are actually apps that are currently still running.  if you press one and hold, it will wobble with option to close. Close them. This will give ur processor a break. Entering notifications are another biggy. Prob the biggest. Go to settings/ then notifications, and turn off or minimize, if u want, the notifications/push notifications that are currently on(default) will bring about a longer battery life. Remember... If you have a newer phone then it takes more power to make it faster!!! which can be niceSmiley Wink! If its a brand new phone then make some  shut downs that make your life easy but cost you battery... ie, searching emails automatically(push notifications, etc, with your permission every 15 min without you knowing.) It's not the phone that sucks. It's prob your settings you haven't adjusted yet. Much love. Share the word. 

27 of 32 (706 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 23, 2011 5:40:37 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Oh and I recommend when using the phone (and all the time) let your battery run down below 20% before recharging but make sure you recharge to 100% keeps the smart cells at full potential.

28 of 32 (705 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 23, 2011 5:46:43 AM
    (0)
    Master

Jonadamsss wrote:
    Press home button twice and apps and other programs pull up. Those are actually apps that are currently still running.  if you press one and hold, it will wobble with option to close. 

Not true in most cases.  It is a way for the app to launch quicker but they are not running but in a suspended state taking up memory.  some apps do have process that will run in the background under certain circumstances.  For example a GPS app such as Navigon and TomTom will run in the background if you have a route programed in.  Some apps will continue to download and/or update a file but suspend themselfs once that task is complete.

It is possible that an app is "hung" and is still running but that is not the normal case.

29 of 32 (700 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 23, 2011 7:39:49 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Jonadamsss wrote:
    Oh and I recommend when using the phone (and all the time) let your battery run down below 20% before recharging but make sure you recharge to 100% keeps the smart cells at full potential.

Are you serious, or are you attempting to spread FUD?  The last thing you want to do with these types of batteries is to let them run down to 20% all the time before recharging--not unless you know something we don't and are implying that the battteries used in iPhones have infinite recharge cycles.  Now I can understand and agree with letting the battery run down to near-zero every once in a while--the only reasons I can think of for doing this are either for battery monitoring recalibration purposes or to keep the battery cells fresh (i.e., from not going "stale" due to lack of use, if there is such a thing)--but to let it run down every time before recharging?  I understand that for some folks, preventing the battery from running down to near-zero may not be practical due to somehow not having a charger at your beck and call...but doing anything to minimize the rate at which battery charging cycles are consumed is not a bad thing.

30 of 32 (680 Views)